WOTM30 - First Spoiler

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter

WOTM 30 First Spoiler

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in WOTM 30, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 500 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose information gained post 500 AD.
  • Please do not post screenshots that reveal the territory or locations of resources on other continents or islands.
  • Please do not name civilizations that requires caravels to contact.

In the pre-game thread, there seemed to be agreement that the start was too lush. Was it?

How did you go up the tech tree and what were your goals in doing so?

In what order did you meet your AI opponents, when did you meet them and was there any trading possible?

I settled in place, as I thought the plains hill was quite nice, and the wheat/fish could be used by another city.

My first tech was AH, first build a worker. Second tech pottery, and started cottaging up the floodplains.

Second city went NE near the ivory, silver, sheep (later copper). Third city claimed the fish and wheat down south. Fourth city NEE near clams and another wheat. Fifth city was captured from barbs at the SE tip of the island. This city became my GPFarm, with 3 fish, gems and iron. Sixth city went NW of the capital claiming pigs, iron and marble. This city actually got settled twice, as a lucky barb archer razed it once. This city I planned to put Ironworks in.

I didn't build any wonders. Oracle went super late, like 500 BC, and I started building it thinking "why not?" I missed of course. Hinduism wasn't founded until very very late also, somewhere around 2000 BC. Of course, the turn after I start researching Poly it is founded :)

I founded Confucianism, and spread it to an annoying little city that Augustus put on my island. I figured we could be friends. Saladin I met second, and he was ok until I met Hannibal. Those two were at war for a long time, and Hannibal invited me in. I said yes, though I didn't see any combat. I meet Churchill after Hannibal (sailing a WB around that way) and Genghis finds me by himself. I meet Peter when Confu spreads to one of his cities. Tech trading went well enough, I guess.

I discovered Education in 335 AD, and at the cutoff date I'm just about ready to whip the remaining universities and begin Oxford.

From here the plan is to get Astro from Liberalism, and then on to Steel for Cannons. Saladin is being a pain, so I'll claim his lands. Ultimately I'm aiming for a diplo by sword.

Planned for a peace game once I explored enough to see we have a continent alone. UN Diplo is my first choice, since I didn't go down the religion path. No wonders for me, either, though a fair bit of (intentional) fail gold. I did get Parthenon since it went so late.

Like Adrianj, I settled in place (called Cottage Utopia). Next settled south at Cornfish, then settled north at Copper Pig. Next was Northwest at Camp Netwheat. Then took over gems+3clam city from barbs. Then it was Iron Marble, Pig Horse, and Sheeptown. By now both English and Romans have 1 city each on my continent, so I settled Snowfish to make 9. I now have 3 religions and try to found Taosim but fail.

There are 4 Bhudist (me included) and 2 hindu civs right now, so the diplo situation is calm. I have 3 religions and will go for culture, as the AI seem well able to more than keep pace with my teching, and the UN looks quite doubtful to build. Making some mistakes, like going into caste systems before spreading all my religions. I'll have to undo that.

Liberalism race looks questionable. These AI are tough to beat, but I think I should be able to manage a culture victory, though not as fast as if I had planned for that all along and played it well.

Had lots of happy problems early, and could have used Monarchy much earlier than I got it. So far it looks like it will be close, but I may pull out a victory.

I would say that the flood plain masses reminds me of a WOTM two games ago where I got pottery too early to really be able to work cottages due to the happy caps. I'd like to say I learned from that experience, but I actually made the same mistake again. At least I recognized the problem earlier and hopefully managed to adjust in time. I also should have explored earlier with workboats... because when I did, I met everyone and was able to get into the game via tech trading. Without that, I'd be as hopelessly backwards as Ghenghis is now. :lol:

Settled 2S. Second city was the 3fish/iron/gems GP farm, third north of cap for pig and FP's, fourth silver/copper/deer, fifth marble/iron, sixth captured barb city at NE wheat/clam, seventh W fish/pig, eighth NE pig/horse, ninth north fish.

Also didn't start out building wonders, and I'm really kicking myself - Oracle in 600's BC, Mids and GLH circa 1AD. I only built GLib in my GP farm and Parthenon.

Only met Sal (Hindu), Church (Jew), AC (Budd) and Han (Confu). :crazyeye: No religion spread until AD's. Just converted to Judaism for the university OR-whip-fest, which is happening right around 500 AD.

No real plans. Probably bust some heads a little later, starting with Sal and Han and either diplo or dom, depending on the situation.

Took the challenger save. Settled 2S. I took a very late oracle for code of laws (kind of worthless). The epic tech speed really throws me off.

Second city went north for the copper, third was to the east for the ivory. The triple fish site came from the barbs (only defended by warriors!). I built the Parthenon and GL for other early wonders. I didn't get an academy in Istanbul until VERY late though, as the first GP was a prophet (not bad for a well spread religion).

Settled 2S, and didn't regret it. 2nd city north with pig+cow in inner ring, mostly because my warrior got eaten so I didn't really know much more of the surroundings.

I also lost a couple of barb fights early (even defending on forest across river..) so lost control of fogbusting for a while, which of course means the floodgates opened. So I had to scramble to hold them off while trying to connect copper in my 3rd city. Cost me a handful of warriors and a handful of pillaged improvements.
On the bright side, I didn't have time to worry about oracle, which I would have lost anyway since it much earlier than the other reports here. Missed GLib by 1 turn, but the failure gold may have been just as good still. Only got Colossus, and will get Taj soon.

Fishing-mining-BW-AH-pottery-myst-writing-alphabet was the tech path. At 500AD I have settled all useful sites on the island and am close to getting the requirements to draft janisarries. Saladin will be the first target. Going for a military VC, hopefully without having to advance too far in the tech tree.

Adventurer Save.

Settled in place; renamed as Badlands. :mischief: Building cottages on all those flood plains. No tree cutting to offset :yuck: from flood plains. Moved Capitol to City #2/Istanbul in T149/265 BC.

Initial builds...
  1. Worker
  2. Warrior x3
  3. Settler
  4. Granary
  5. Worker
  6. Stonehenge
Initial Research...
  1. Pottery
  2. Mining -> Bronze Working
  3. Hunting
  4. Animal Husbandry
  5. Mysticism -> Polytheism

Status @ 500 AD
Seven cities (6 founded + 1 captured Barbarian city)
Civics = HR/Barbarism**/Slavery/Decentralism/Org. Religion
**1 turn from Civil Service & Bureaucracy @ 500 AD

The Good
Built Stonehenge & The Oracle in Badlands
Free tech from Oracle = Code of Laws; Confucianism founded in Istanbul
GProphet from Badlands built Kong Miao in Istanbul
Building Great Library in Badlands, 13 turns remaining @ 500 AD
Got Churchill to convert to my State Religion (Confucianism).
Free GA from first to discover Music

The Bad
Early wonders in Badlands and moving Capitol slowed my REX. Should probably have 2 or 3 more cities at this point. :blush: Churchill got a city on the western coast of my continent. :(:(

The Ugly
Free GA from Music would have bulbed Drama when I got him, so waited until I traded for Drama later, then forgot to recheck him right away, and used him to bulb Theology 1 turn after Christianity FIAFAL. :cry: I could have have founded a 2nd religion if I had remembered to check the GA. :cry::cry:

City Placement Details
City #2 Istanbul 4NE+1N on river near Copper/Silver/Deer/Sheep/Ivory
City #3 Wheat Harbor 3S+1SE on river near Wheat/Fish
City #4 Clambake Shores 5E of Istanbul on plains hill at river bend near Clams/Wheat
City #5 Iron River 3NW+1N of Badlands on river near Iron/Marble/Pigs
City #6 Saxon (captured Barb city renamed Port Saxon) 3SE+1E Wheat Harbor near Iron/Gems/3 Fish
City #7 Equine Estates 4S+1SE Clambake Shores on coast near Horses/Pigs

Settled 2S, then in between pigs & cows, then silver/copper. Then general spam. I too got a barb city for 3 fish/gems and eventually iron, this will be my GP farm.

Had a few problems with Barbs, we have a reasonably big island to fogbust. At 500AD I am gearing up for a war with the Romans, they have lots of nice resources & land.

Took Monarchy from Oracle, to go straight to HR.

I need to start the Uni's soon. Unless something drastic happens, I am heading for space.

settled 2s as many others. Teched Fish, Pot, mining and BW. Worker, WB, war, settler and worker-rushed.

2nd city SE with jungle Gem :cry:, 3 fish and iron (later).
3rd city claimed copper, fish and silver.
4th city on marble for marble.
5th city was captured by barb near wheat, clam and ivory.
6th city was near Sal claiming pigs and fish.

During this time techpath claimed all needed techs to build Oracle for MC and ToE in capital and the GLH in copper city. Intensionally missed the the Collosus for gold and un-intentinally missed GLib in the capital and the gem city respectively.

1st GP was a GM who mostly bulbed CS and the second GP, a GS bulbed a chunk of Eduction. By the time 500AD, I was teching Gunpowder. And had founded 3 more coastal cities. 2 by Rome and one to claim another iron NW of capital on a hill.

Plan is to getting a GS or 2 to bulb a chunk of Chemistry on my way to getting Steel from Lib. As usual I am not in a hurry to get OU and will regret it later. I have changed my mind to rush Rome with Janissaries. Will wait and see. Plans for 3 more cities are in the works. All other AI are so far behind but I will help them out after Lib.

The cap is getting 4 9gpt or higher trades only so far.

I havent finished this WOTM yet, but uhm, has anyone had problems logging in on the BotM31 congrats page? I have.

Just wanted to say I did take the Challenger, far as I know Duckwing always does, I'm sure its not dead yet y'all !

I havent finished this WOTM yet, but uhm, has anyone had problems logging in on the BotM31 congrats page? I have.
:hmm: Do you mean the results page that is linked in the first post of the thread? I just tried it and got in. Please give it another try. :)

Overall
This map has been so much fun! I played my first game session well past 500 AD, although I won't say until what date, to avoid spoiling anything.

Being a "Builder" type of player, it is so addicting to keep pumping out the buildings... "cheap everything" is the name of the game, so playing on a harder difficulty level like this one was an appropriate choice for Mehmed.

Initial Expansion
I expanded slowly, mostly due to the incessant Barbs. I lost my first two Warriors in terrain with defensive bonuses, which put me at odds with the Barb Animals.

In fact, my choice of second City location was due mostly to keeping my Settler + Warrior from being eaten by a Panthern spotted on a nearby Hills square, as the Barb Animals are kicked out of your cultural borders when you found a City.

I was low on Happiness Resources (unlike the predicted Healthiness Resource deficit) for a good part of the early game.

City Locations
I went south with my capitol, starting off SW then S. Finding no additional Seafood Resources, I went 1E and settled on the popular-to-settle-on Flood Plains square 2S of the start, picking up the Fish and Wheat in the original screenshot.

My second City went north, near the Pig and Cow Resources, prompting me to get Animal Husbandry relatively early on.

Oddly enough, I totally missed seeing the Gem Resource to the SE, having scouted nearly everywhere else first, so when I did find it, the Barbs had already settled there! :eek:

That made my third and fourth Cities go by the Silver and Ivory, just to try and get above my measly 3 Happiness (4 in the captiol) limit.

Further Cities were mostly coastal, although my start was too slow to build The Great Lighthouse.

The Neighbours
Hmmm, no immediate neighbours meant that I had to build my own Workers. Yet again, the Leader matched the game situation well, with Warlords' +50% bonus to Worker production making it far easier to get bonus Hammers in one's Workers than in BTS with its weak +25% bonus on Worker-production for Expansive Leaders.

The neighbours, once we finally met each other, were mostly playing nicely and we have a fair-sized chunk of land to ourselves--it looks like a Diplo game could be a fun way to play--I wish those chasing such a victory condition all of the best!

Techs
Fishing was my start, to get that Fish online.

I also threw in Animal Husbandry for the Cow, Bronze Working to be able to capture the Gem Resource from the Barbs (there's another reason why I felt that I had to settle the Silver City as my 3rd City--for the Copper), Pottery (hellooooo Cottages--is there an echo in here?), and then whatever else I needed at the time, such as Hunting for the Ivory.

Wonders
I decided to let most Wonders slip by me this game. I did manage to score The Oracle after getting Priesthood in a trade, building it sometime around 300 BC. Yeah, that was a nice steal, but since I hadn't planned on building it, my tech path only let me pick up Metal Casting, even that late in the game!

Being Mehmed, I had to make a run for The Hanging Gardens--he almost always builds it when he's in my games, even without a Stone Resource for kilometres around.

What's Next?
I really have no idea. It's kind of fun to play a game without a real plan in place, especially whenever a building completes and you can say: "What shall I build next? Maybe a military unit? Nahhh! I have another 3 'cheap' buildings that need completing!" Emphasis on the "need," of course, where "need" is a thinly-veiled "want" in disguise. I'm probably hurting my game by building a bunch of buildings that I "want" and likely don't "need," but it's certainly fun to do so!

It may be a bit pre-mature to say so, since I'm not finished yet, but thanks for the game, Leif, as it has already shaped-up to be bucketloads of fun!

The Bad
Early wonders in Badlands and moving Capitol slowed my REX. Should probably have 2 or 3 more cities at this point. :blush: Churchill got a city on the western coast of my continent. :(:(
Although it may have slowed you down initially, I could have used a Stonehenge or a Religion.

Getting neither meant that I popped almost all of my Cutural Borders the hard way, using Libraries!

I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on a western City--I built one there for Pig and Clam but Saladin owned the Clam from the start, still owning it at the 500 AD cut-off date. Without any Hills and with only 1 useable Resource, it's a pretty weak City, certainly not worth worrying about not getting.

Hereditary Rule
Took Monarchy from Oracle, to go straight to HR.
It's funny--I did my best to get an attractive tech package in place in order to be able to trade for Monarchy.

Yet, after I got Monarchy in trade, I found that my focus on settling Happiness-based Resources plus a couple of Happiness Resource received in trade meant that I no longer needed the Happiness bonus from Hereditary Rule.

If I recall correctly, I still haven't switched into Hereditary Rule as of the 500 AD cut-off date, as I had no use for it!

These have been busy times for me, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish this game in time for submission, but it is surely been a fun experience. Just reached 500AD.

I played the 1st session when the game was released. Took the contender save and settled 2S. City #2 went to gems/fish/iron, #3 to pigs/cows/FP's. When I was about to solve my troubles with fogbusting circa 600BC, I lost my copper/deer/ivory/silver/sheep city (#4) to a barb archer a couple turns before building my 1st axeman. :mad: In a few turns interval I also stupidly lost 2 workers by not paying attention. I resettle the city. Time to save the game and continue later.

IBT:
Turn 136/660 (460 BC) [02-Jul-2010 00:02:08]
Konya founded

Ok, I have calmed down now. Let's resume the game.
Turn 137/660 (445 BC) [14-Aug-2010 21:24:03]
Edirne begins: Settler (10 turns)
;)

Game goes on, I continue my REX (settler to city #9 is heading towards the arctic fish), now I am friendly with Saladin and Augustus (jewish brothers), Hannibal is annoyed, Churchill is cautious (both hindus), Genghis is backwards after a long war with Augustus and after trading maps I see a russian civ in the map, a workboat is travelling there to greet whoever is its leader. Just playing one more turn before I can read the first spoiler thread and talk about my peaceful game.

Turn 198/660 (470 AD) [15-Aug-2010 00:29:06]
Research begun: Gunpowder (8 Turns)
Ankara begins: University (38 turns)
Gaziantep begins: University (75 turns)
A Mine was built near Samsun
A Mine was built near Gaziantep
Istanbul begins: University (11 turns)
Edirne finishes: National Epic

IBT: Churchill(England) declares war on Mehmed II(Ottomans)
Attitude Change: Churchill(England) towards Mehmed II(Ottomans), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
:eek:

Top Bottom