Would you like a new Era in the game?

Perhaps the guy writing the article misheard the designers and it's actually the Great Wars Era encompassing both WWI and WWII (1914-1945).

Great WARS makes a lot more sense than "Great War" to me, IMHO. Maybe roughly Flight through A-Bomb, or something like that. (It's still all Industrial Age to me, though)

Or maybe Flight through Jets. That might work.

Fortunately, this isn't an either/or question. I want them to flesh out the Classical and Future Era AND add another era as well.

Ancient
Classical
Medieval
Renaissance
Enlightenment
Industrial
Modern
Future

8 eras of civilization. Makes sense to me.

I'd like to see a brief age between Renaissance and Enlightenment to represent the brief age where ships, trading and sea-based exploration became a major factor in most societies. Its sometimes refered to as the 'Age of Sail'. Alternatively they could include more elements of this age and just merge it I guess.

I'd like to see the Future era added as an option at the start of the game. If you agree to it you advance into the Future era as tech advances and you get the typical futuristic goodies. If they really want to impress me, let us colonize the moon in a way similar to the futuristic Risk (what was it Risk 2075?). That would easily make the Future Era worth playing for me.

That being said I want to see alot more expansion on the modern age too. Alot of modern science and tech isnt being included (satelites, space station, probes to Mars, alternative energy production, drones, etc)

The Industrial age is usually split into two periods. There's the early industrial age and then there's the modern industrial age. It's hard to find a divider. In the US, I would probably use the Civil War. However, I could also see an intelligible difference between pre-20th century industrialization and the period from 1900 to 1950 or so (even if it's the Great War era, I hope they stretch a little beyond 1914-1919).

How about first having the industrial era which encompass the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_revolution" (roughly from 1780's to 1850) and then have an other era, Imperial age, which represents the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Industrial_Revolution" and the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism#Age_of_Imperialism".
You know with the scramble for Africa, the rise of Japan and incursions into China.
WWI could be classed as a colonial war, all the major combatents was either empires or had colonies. And both sides of the war wanted to expand theirs colonial empires, at the cost of the other side.

The imperial age could run all through to the end of WWII(and further still as many European nations had colonies well after that).

The "modern era" could start at around the 1960's encompass the economic boom of the time, the space race, mass consumerism, mass transit, the counter culture... etc.

Edit: sorry for lousy linking, writing on a MacBook, and apparently im not a "MacPerson"

Except those two titles were highly ridiculed among the majority of civers. They are already bringing back bad ideas from past releases, no need to bring back bad sci-fi ones.

Of course, bad ideas should not ever be (re)implemented in the first place. My suggestion, in general, was simply suggest of either having future era expanded or new expansion set to Alpha Centauri (the game) theme. Albeit similar to the Colonization release for Civ4 some years ago. While also offering new Civs, units and such material to the core game. :)

I'd like to see a brief age between Renaissance and Enlightenment to represent the brief age where ships, trading and sea-based exploration became a major factor in most societies. Its sometimes refered to as the 'Age of Sail'. Alternatively they could include more elements of this age and just merge it I guess.

I'd like to see the Future era added as an option at the start of the game. If you agree to it you advance into the Future era as tech advances and you get the typical futuristic goodies. If they really want to impress me, let us colonize the moon in a way similar to the futuristic Risk (what was it Risk 2075?). That would easily make the Future Era worth playing for me.

That being said I want to see alot more expansion on the modern age too. Alot of modern science and tech isnt being included (satelites, space station, probes to Mars, alternative energy production, drones, etc)

The only problem with a Future Era is the game would basically have to be completely overhauled in regards to victory conditions, or you would never see it A future scenario would probably be cool, but that is a lot of resources just for a scenario. Then again it's basically what they are doing with the Victorian steampunk scenario, so I guess anything is possible.

I don't remember what it was called, but the Mars conversion mod for Civ2 that came with the special GOTY edition was probably the most fun I've ever had on that game. Something like that in Civ5 would be amazing.

If there's a new era called The Great War Era I think that it's not only that four-year period of the war, but kind of all the things leading up to it and also the stuff happening around it.

There was the 'Great Game' between British Empire and Russian Empire, meaning cold war and espionage adventures near Afghanistan and Persia.

Boer War of 1899 was the "Vietnam" of it's time, with Germans selling modern guns to Boer fighters, kind of like gifting units to a city-state, hehe.. ;)

There was also Russo-Japanese war in 1904-1905(?) that was like WW1 precursor with same rushes against trenches and hundreds of thousands of casualties.

And after WW1 there's the interwar era with it's own adventures..

Ok this was looking at things from military perspective, but anyway really glad about the new era!

Also someone mentioned that infantry in that era is called Colonial Infantry? Is it true, sounds fine to me.

The only problem with a Future Era is the game would basically have to be completely overhauled in regards to victory conditions, or you would never see it A future scenario would probably be cool, but that is a lot of resources just for a scenario.

Well, that's exactly what they did with Beyond the Sword for Civ IV. The Next War scenario could be played independently or as an expanded future era in the base game. If you played it with the base game then all the victory conditions got pushed back.

How about first having the industrial era which encompass the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_revolution" (roughly from 1780's to 1850) and then have an other era, Imperial age, which represents the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Industrial_Revolution" and the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism#Age_of_Imperialism".
You know with the scramble for Africa, the rise of Japan and incursions into China.
WWI could be classed as a colonial war, all the major combatents was either empires or had colonies. And both sides of the war wanted to expand theirs colonial empires, at the cost of the other side.

The imperial age could run all through to the end of WWII(and further still as many European nations had colonies well after that).

The "modern era" could start at around the 1960's encompass the economic boom of the time, the space race, mass consumerism, mass transit, the counter culture... etc.

Edit: sorry for lousy linking, writing on a MacBook, and apparently im not a "MacPerson"

I like this idea. I would frown upon naming an era "The Great War Era" because such an era didn't really exist, at least not in the way of the Industrial Era and Classical Era and such. Imperial Era would make a lot more sense since imperialism was a primary cause of WWI and WWII, and had a lot to do with the majority of conflicts between 1850s - 1960s.

But then it would also be nice if they would implement a better way to function as an imperial government.

I would love to see a Enlightenment era. It could fit between the renaissance and the indrustrial eras.

No more eras, but the ones that exist should be expanded and deepened with for example more techs.

I don't remember what it was called, but the Mars conversion mod for Civ2 that came with the special GOTY edition was probably the most fun I've ever had on that game. Something like that in Civ5 would be amazing.

Was that the expansion that had the scenario where you could play as dinosaurs?

Was that the expansion that had the scenario where you could play as dinosaurs?

No, but that one was pretty fun too. This one you played as a few different "future" factions, and you started with one settler on Mars. All the techs were alreadd highly advanced. You would build habitation centers and stuff like that.

If you had Civ2 Multiplayer Gold Edition, you would get all the old scenarios.

I have it, but it doesn't work. Makes me very sad. I think I can technically play the game, but the music and wonder videos don't work.

Yeah that was it. I wish I still had that disc floating around somewhere.

Unfortunately, I just got rid of a bunch of old computer games when I moved into my new house about a year ago. I got rid of Civ 2 & 3 and all their expansions, but I kept Civ 4, its expansions, and Colonization.

Unfortunately, I just got rid of a bunch of old computer games when I moved into my new house about a year ago. I got rid of Civ 2 & 3 and all their expansions, but I kept Civ 4, its expansions, and Colonization.

How does a person get rid of Civ II!?

How does a person get rid of Civ II!?

I find that, once a new version of Civ comes out, I stop playing previous versions. Ever since Civ 5 was released, I haven't played a single game of Civ 4.

Top Bottom