1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like a new Era in the game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Haig, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Olleus

Olleus Chieftain

It's all really a notion of nomenclature whether the Renaissance is part of the Medieval era or not.

Modern history texts tend to not make that difference and put it in the Medieval era. Everything from around copernicus and onwards is called modern.

Clearly, for Civ we need more separation.

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The Renaissance was an age where superstition actually increased. There's a reason most of the art was religious. There's also a reason St. Christopher was a popular image. He's the patron saint that protects against sudden death. People thought they could survive the plague by continually keeping St. Christopher in their sight.

While it's true there's a line ending with Luther that includes Erasmus and other Renaissance thinkers, it also included Christian theological figures going back at least to Gerbert.

The Inquisition was nothing new. Let's not forget about the Albigensian Crusade. I agree about the corruption of the church leading to Luther but the very fact that indulgences were so popular demonstrates that people were very, very religious. I wouldn't conflate the Reformation time period with the Renaissance even if there is an overlap.

But perhaps this should be better reserved for the history forum. My only point is not to overstate the scientific progress of the Renaissance. History rarely, if ever, can be easily divided into ages. The Renaissance was more a period of transition than a sharp reawakening and break from the past.

3. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

While historically (and "fluff-wise"), an era of Enlightement would be fun, I think there might be some problems when introducing an additional era.

SoPos can be shifted (not without problems, I suppose, but still), RA-costs readjusted so that the futur era's costs are not higher than right now.

But what's about CS bonuses?
    - Military SC might be easy, as the frequency of unit appearance can be tweaked.
    - Cultural CSs might be more difficult, as the cultural gain from era to era doesn't rise in big steps (exact numers, anybody?)
    - Most problematic, as I assume, should be Maritime SCs. Their bonus is very small (per city), and the era change even smaler. So, if there is an additional era, there is no space for a "slip in", but the maximum bonus at future era has to be bigger. This *can* be a problematic, as too high food bonuses broke the game at it's release and where nerved for this reason.

Or am I too pessimistic here? Isn't there a problem at all?

4. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Yes, I agree, the Renaissance was a period of very slow transition. That time period played a relevant role, towards progression which lead to The Age of Reason. Calling it an interim period of history certainly is understandable IMO. Because like you said, and your perfectly right, many things were going on prior to this reawakening, and after that were not very pretty. These issues with religion and free thought came to a head during the Renaissance (I simply jumble it together with the Reformation, my preference I suppose). To me it was a slow continual, yet absolute fight for progress. Thats why I feel its important.

The reason they try to organize history into ages, is to make teaching it easier. You can relate several points to a certain age to help students remember what they need to know.

As far as CiV goes I feel every age should be touched on. Though I do feel its important to stick to whats mostly relevant, and works well with the games design.

5. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

We do need seperation of different eras. Why not? The game will be more immersive and interesting.

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

History is "fluff," now? :D

7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

I like some of the ideas of expanding Classical and perhaps shoehorning in an Imperial era. However, I despise anything to do with a future era and any texhs/units that may be associated with such.

Additionally, I was quite critical when they announced "eras" in pre-release Civ5. I had nightmares of the single worse feature (of many) in Civ3 where they forced you to research techs by eras. That pretty much destroyed the game. But as it turned out, I do live the why we have eras in Civ5 but I would not want any rigidity applied to them.

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

I don't think there's a single person out there that doens't agree on expanded Classical Era. Even I want it, but I do think it would be nice to have a new era that could be considered "paired" up with Industrial (like i stated before, Ancient & Classical, Middle Ages & Reinsassance and Modern & Future.)

9. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

I agree the classical era is ok all the other era's are also Ok I only hope they fix the damn research agreements and great scientists so it you don't blaze through the tech tree

because then there is no point in era's its just racing through

10. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Chieftain

Civ games have always had a fairly limited number of eras. Considering that different rewards from CSs and the cost of RAs increases each era, I don't see why they shouldn't add more eras. This was not true of previous Civ versions since entering a new era did not mean anything to the player (except a new look for their advisors/cities). Also, parts of the game go by way too fast (classic) and others feel way too long (renaissance). More eras would give the feeling of proggression and not being stuck in a particular era.

Who would like to see not just one era added but many?
    A list to show a simple example:

Stone Age
    Copper Age
    Bronze Age
    Iron Age
    Low Middle Ages
    High Middle Ages
    Renaissance
    Enlightenment
    Imperial Age
    Industrial Age
    Information Age
    Future Age

It’s not perfect and many eras/ages overlap (enlightenment, imperial, and industrial) and some don't allow for many techs (copper/bronze), but the game could be extended with the additions of many eras. I personally like a well drawn out game, but maybe that’s not for everybody.

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I don't mind that either. I like a long drawn out game. Although, some people prefer to play many smaller games to try out different strategies. All the same, why not have several techtrees to choose from? Even a couple different ones would do. So everyone can play to their preferences.

12. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Chieftain

Very true. Perhaps you can choose a tiny, short, standard, or long tech tree much like choosing quick, standard, epic, and marathon game speeds. Would be interesting to have a marathon game on a tiny tech tree (each tech would be really important) or a long tech tree on quick (discovering hundreds of techs in only an hour of play would make anyone who likes immediate rewards happy).

A very cool idea. What would you consider the current tech tree's length? Short or standard? Maybe something completely different?

13. anandus

anandus Errorist

14. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

15. TimeWeaver

TimeWeaver Chieftain

I'm very happy that the late game gets some TLC with this new era and all, but I would have loved it even more if similar attention hade been given to the early game, more particularly, the classical era should be split into two, making that interesting part of history longer and more intricate.

16. anandus

anandus Errorist

Probably the classical age gets some upgrades.

One thing we know for instance is an added archer tech, as composite bows are in.

17. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Yes, it would be nice if the Classical era was expanded to two tiers.

18. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

19. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I'm excited for the WW1-like era. More time to use your ironclads alongside new early planes. Sounds promising! Also in the screen we can see an earlier infantry unit (old model, but different unit icon), most probably to go together with the machine gun. Glad to see WW1 finally properly represented in Civilization, with early tanks and whatnot.

20. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Surely they're not going to call it the 'WWI era', or the 'Great War era'? I can't really think of another name, but there must be something better.