WW2 Unit Graphics

One more shot from the deck, showing the guns on this battlewagon...Being on this thing made me realise why the Allies won WW2...The sheer scale of this fighting machine.
USS NC Deck1.png

Not to mention a Cola vending booth on the deck!

@CurtSibling Sounds like an amazing experience. Lets hope this disaster ends soon and we will be able to travel like before.
Anyway,the Curtiss SOC Seagull first entered service in 1935. When the SOC was replaced by the OS2U Kingfisher, most converted into trainers. With the failure of the SO3C Seamew, many SOCs in second line service were returned to frontline units starting in late 1943. They saw service aboard warships in the combat zone for the rest of World War II (the second sprite).

Attachments

• Tanelorn Curtiss SOC Seagull.png
    Tanelorn Curtiss SOC Seagull.png
    6 KB · Views: 566

The Arado 68 entered service in 1936,in place of the He 51. In Spain it was outclassed by the Polikarpov I-16. However, the Ar 68E soon became the Luftwaffe's most widely used fighter in 1937–38, before being replaced by the Messerschmitt Bf 109. The last Ar 68s served as night fighters up to the winter of 1939–40, after which they served as fighter-trainers until 1944.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Arado 68.png
    Tanelorn Arado 68.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 577

The Arado Ar 65 was an enlarged version of the predecessor Ar 64 . Instead of the radial engine, a V-engine was used. The Ar 65d in 1933 was the series version.
In 1936 it was replaced by the more modern Ar 68 and Heinkel He 51. The inflated production number is probably nazi propaganda. Twelve aircraft were delivered to their ally Bulgaria in 1937.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Arado 65.png
    Tanelorn Arado 65.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 584

More than 400 Bulldogs were produced for the RAF and overseas customers, and it was one of the most famous aircraft used by the RAF during the inter-war period. Ex Estonian Bulldogs sold to the Spanish republicans fought until the battle of Santander. Eight of them were sold and the remaining four units remained in Estonian service until the annexation by the USSR. Finnish Bulldogs scored six kills against superior Soviet aircraft, two Polikarpov I-16 and four Tupolev SB-2, during the winter war.
-edit- In total 443 Bristol Bulldogs were built. This included two built by Nakajima in Japan under licence.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Bristol Buldog.png
    Tanelorn Bristol Buldog.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
The Hawker Horsley was a medium torpedo/ bomber aircraft , the last all-wooden aircraft built by Hawker. A total of 134 Horsleys were built, including six for the Greek Navy.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Hawker Horsley.png
    Tanelorn Hawker Horsley.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

The Dornier Do 24 is a 1930s German three-engine flying boat. A total of 279 were built among several factories from 1937 to 1945. Thirty-seven Do 24s had been sent to the East Indies by the time of the German occupation of the Netherlands in June 1940. Later, to avoid confusion with British or French roundels, Dutch aircraft flew a black-bordered orange triangle insignia.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Dornier Do 24.png
    Tanelorn Dornier Do 24.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 514

Though obsolete by the outbreak of World War II as the only military flying boat available, five squadrons of the Do 18 were in use by the Luftwaffe. In 1940 some squadrons changed their base to Norway. In the middle of 1941, only one squadron was still operational.

A Do 18 was the first German aircraft to be shot down by British aircraft during the war, when one of a formation of three was caught over the North Sea by nine Blackburn Skua fighter-bombers on 26 September 1939. It was able to make an emergency landing but was sunk by the destroyer HMS Somali.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Dornier Do 18.png
    Tanelorn Dornier Do 18.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

I have hidden all my models. My little monster will smash them, he has already selectively eaten the counters of my ex- collectible wargames. Love him.
Anyhoo, I started reskining a single Letov s28 out of Fairlines Fairey Swordfish and I got a bit carried away. :crazyeye:
The Letov Š-328 single-engine bomber , with 338 airframes, was the second most numerous type of aircraft in the Czechoslovak Air Force , after the Avia B-534 fighter. The related Letov Š-231 fighter was used in combat in the Spanish Civil War. These were sold via Estonia, but never served in that country. I misinterpreted the Latvian Fairey Gordon as an Š-328, they look identical to me.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Letov S28.png
    Tanelorn Letov S28.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

Dewoitine D.371 : 28 were ordered in 1935 for the French Air Force. They were not delivered until the beginning of 1937, when they were starting to be outdated. Eventually first 2 and later 10 more were ceded to the Spanish Republicans, and the rest sent to Tunis .
Dewoitine D.372 : 14 units ordered by Lithuania but rejected in favor of the Dewoitine D.501. These aircraft were instead delivered to the Fuerzas Aéreas de la República Española in 1936.
They were taken into the squadron España of André Malraux and the international squadron of the Spanish Martin Luna. From August 31, 1936, the first squadron won two victories against Fiat CR.32 , while Malraux's suadron claimed the destruction of 21 nationalist aircraft. The first Soviet pilots arriving in Spain judged the Dewoitine superior to the Heinkel He 51 and at least equivalent to the Fiat CR.32 .
Dewoitine D.373 : 20 units ordered by the French Navy, delivered in 1938.
Dewoitine D.376 : 25 new aircraft for the French Navy, with folding wings, delivered in 1939. Their wings tended to fold in flight, leading to their withdrawal by 1940.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Dewoitine D371.png
    Tanelorn Dewoitine D371.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 476

Ar 68E in Spain. Soon after entering service in 1936, the fighter was sent to fight in the Spanish Civil War, where it was outclassed by the Soviet Polikarpov I-16. Arado responded by upgrading the engine of the Ar 68E to 610 hp Junkers Jumo 210.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Arado 68E Condor Legion.png
    Tanelorn Arado 68E Condor Legion.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 468

Curtiss Wright Hawk I, II and III.
When the Russian Polikarpov I-15 first appeared in Spain, it was a largely unknown aircraft in the west, and was misidentified as an American "Curtiss" fighter. This name was used by the Nationalists for this type for much of the war, and reports even appeared in the American press describing how American fighters were proving so effective in Spain.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Curtiss Wright Hawk II and III.png
    Tanelorn Curtiss Wright Hawk II and III.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
I came across this vehicle from WW2 I'd never heard about before, the T18 Boarhound! A heavy (26+ ton!) armored car which heaviest version, T18E2 was equivalent of a 1941 medium tank! 8x8 wheel American built for the British army in a small number and very sparingly used in the African theater. I just felt it was very unique and wondered if any of you guys had heard of it before?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T18_Boarhound

http://www.warwheels.net/T18E2BoarhoundArmoredCarINDEX.html

If you check back on this thread I think Erika has drawn a T18, along with T17 Deerhound. They are interesting armoured cars, but were introduced a little late to be useful; the T17 Staghound was too big for the confines of the Bocage and mountains of the Italian campaign, and this applies doubly for the even bigger Deerhound and Boarhound. Had they been introduced in time for the Desert campaign they would have been ideal. It's interesting that the Americans didn't even look at using them as they seemed happy with the lightly-armed/armoured M8 and M20.

Top Bottom