1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WW2 Unit Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Arthedain, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Patine

Patine Deity

I've unwatched the thread where the last batches of bile were exchanged for about a month or so, so I won't even get alerts about responses unless someone specifically tags or responds to a post made by me, or likes one of my posts. But even then, I have no intention of returning.

2. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Do you have any units to share Patine, or just OT talk?

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  3. Patine

Patine Deity

I actually found a cavalry unit from another scenario that looks perfect for the Tibetan cavalry portrayed in the Wikipedia (though given the poor-quality, grey-scale pictures, I'd have to guess at uniform colour), but the unit I found is from a Medieval Asian scenario (because that's what Tibetan cavalry seemed to be wearing), but I'm not quite sure how to swap a Medieval melee weapon for a rifle cleanly.

4. Patine

Patine Deity

This guy, from the Mongols scenario, is pretty close to the only Tibetan cavalry pictured in the article linked, except for the uncertainty of colour and that the Tibetan cavalry has more elaborate barding, and, of course, the weapon.

Example_Cavalry.png

5. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

I'm as much to blame for the OT talk. So accept our apologies and onto WW2 units!
    Here is my current roster for Overlords, which is the descendant of the Dictator scenarios...
    I took some excellent playtest advice from @civ2units - Which I am using to make edits...
    I also want to release versions of the scenario for each of the big factions, more to come!
    Overlord Units 5.png
    Naturally, this scenario would never have been possible without the units made by fairline!

6. Patine

Patine Deity

I'll present my next draft of EotRS units in a little bit, once I've settled on a few iffy slots.

7. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Bolivian army of the 1932-1935 Gran Chaco war. They lost, badly, though they outnumbered the Paraguayans and had far superior equipment; everything from planes, tanks and machineguns to German mercenaries. In the end, the oil they fought over was never there.
    The CV33 tankettes were bought in place of all their tanks the Paraguayans had destroyed or captured. Sometime before the end of the war, up to 14 of them are alleged to have been bought and they reputedly took part in the last battle of the war at Villamontes, which took place between January and June 1935.
    The war was the bloodiest twentieth century inter-state conflict of South America. In all, Bolivia mobilized between 56,000 and 65,000 troops (2% of the population) and Paraguay 36,000 troops (3.5% of the population). The hostilities can be defined as a “total war” with women being conscripted to take over men’s jobs in factories.
    Paraguay captured 21,000 Bolivian soldiers and 10,000 civilians (1% of the Bolivian population); many of the captured civilians chose to remain in Paraguay after the war. In addition, 10,000 Bolivian troops, many of them ill-trained and ill-equipped conscripts, deserted to Argentina or injured or mutilated themselves to avoid combat. By the end of hostilities, Paraguay had captured 42,000 rifles, 5,000 machine guns and submachine guns, and 25 million rounds of ammunition from Bolivian forces.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  8. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Looking at the Bolivian's mp-18, I got a new idea about depicting the Sten...
    Besides, it is a genious simplification of the RN Lanchester, which is a copy of the Mp.18 without the stupid snail drum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Torbk and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  9. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

The 1934 Boulton Paul P.75 Overstrand was the last of the twin-engine biplane medium bombers of the Royal Air Force.

Attached Files:

Thorvald of Lym and Torbk like this.
  10. Patine

Patine Deity

Out of curiosity, did it actually see any military action, or was it just an "iterational," or "transitional," model?

11. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

No, only 24 were ever built and another 4 converted from the even rarer Sidestrand. But what if the allies intervenred when Hitler occupied the Rhineland in 1936? That is what they would have to fight World War1.5 with. They were used as trainers in RL WW2.

12. CurtSibling

*Apologies for the history nerding*

WW2 would have been won in the 1930s if the British/French Allies had taken on Germany.
    The reich was far from ready for war at that point, and the humilation would have been fatal for Hitler.
    However, after he took over the Czech territory, and gained the nation's gold bullion and tanks, a terrible conflict was unavoidable.

13. Patine

Patine Deity

"The Rhineland was a daring bluff in high-stakes poker," as Eisenhauer wrote retrospectively.

14. CurtSibling

Indeed - In the 1930s, creatures like Hitler and Stalin were a new breed of tyrant,
    unknown to the well-meaning diplomats like Chamberlain and Lebrun. I think they
    honestly thought that reason and honour could be used on street thugs in power.

...History showed otherwise...

15. Patine

Patine Deity

Interesting note about Hitler and Stalin in the same sentence regarding the Rhineland. In 1936, when the Wehrmacht crossed the Rhine, I read (just a couple days ago, in fact) that the Soviet ambassador to the withering-and-dying-on-the-vine League of Nations was ALONE in calling for economics sanctions against Germany for the breach of treaty. I found that interesting.

16. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

That Molotov–Ribbentrop pact is the Stalinist diplomacy people remember instead.
    Shock. I wonder why. :crazyeye:

17. Dadais

Dadais Warlord

Weren't the French unpowered to point their view, meeting the strong appeasement policy of their british ally under influence of their pacifist loby (suported by germany) ?

After the Munich treaty, one year before the world war broke, while Chamberlain congratulated himself when back, the French Daladier in his plane was said to tell another french diplomat. « Les cons ! Ah les cons ! S'ils savaient ce qui les attend... »., which could be translated as "these idiots ! God these idiots ! Had they know what they'll have ???" ?

Indeed, France also faced a strong pacifist force, rather under the voice of moscow guidance's influence, having then a strong communist impregnation ?

18. CurtSibling

Also, a general lack of appetite for another Great War was a factor. Men like Churchill knew exactly what Hitler was all about, but many refused to listen.

Dadais likes this.
  19. gapetit

gapetit King

Pacts signed by Nazi Germany before the "Molotov-Ribbentrop" Non-Aggression Pact (08/23/1939):

1933 "Friendship Pact of the Four Powers" with the United Kingdom, France and Italy
    1934 "German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact" with Poland
    1935 "Anglo-German naval agreement" with the United Kingdom
    1936 "Anti-Comintern Pact" with Japan
    1938 "Munich Agreements" with the United Kingdom, France and Italy (September)
    1938 "Declaration of friendship between France and Germany" with France (December)
    1939 "German-Romanian Economic Treaty" with Romania (March)
    1939 "Pact of Steel" with Italy (May)
    1939 "German-Danish Non-Aggression Pact" with Denmark (May)
    1939 "German-Latvian Non-Aggression Pact" with Latvia (June)
    1939 "German-Estonian Non-Aggression Pact" with Estonia (June)

On May 2, 1935, French-Soviet Mutual Assistance Pact was signed, which remained a dead letter, when it was submitted to British policy and agreement with the Polish regime, and that was buried with the friendship treaty between France and Germany of 1938.

In the Spanish Civil War you can see who was allowed to do by England and France, and who benefited from the Non-Intervention Agreement, with the definitive rapprochement between fascist Italy and Nazi Germany.

The USSR understood that it was being left alone in the face of Germany and its allies, and by not reaching agreements with the western empires, it had to negotiate with its most direct and dangerous enemies:

Soviet-German Non-Aggression Pact and Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact: peace treaty signed on April 13, 1941.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    techumseh and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  20. techumseh

techumseh Emperor SLeague Staff

I completely agree. British foreign policy in the second half of the 1930s facilitated the expansion of fascist regimes. They restrained France from assisting the Spanish Republicans, while turning a blind eye to German and Italian intervention on behalf of the Nationalists. They allowed the Italians to ship troops and arms through the Suez canal to attack Ethiopia. And of course their betrayal of Czechoslovakia is legendary. They refused repeated Soviet appeals to form an alliance against Nazi Germany.

They pursued this foreign policy because they believed that fascism was an effective weapon against communism, which they saw as the greatest threat. Only when it was almost too late, did they realize the deadly threat of Hitler and Nazi Germany. Indeed, they hoped encourage Hitler to attack the USSR and leave them alone. Stalin called their bluff, and in doing so, saved his country from defeat. Without its heroic struggle and sacrifice, all of western Europe would have eventually fallen to the Nazis.

Thorvald of Lym and gapetit like this.