XML changes not taking effect, but the game still plays fine.

Matty R

Veteran Newbie
Hello :)

I'm having some trouble with changing XML files. I've altered the BuildingClassInfos to prevent any building becoming obsolete, but when I go into BTS, the changes don't work. Everything worked fine on my PC, but I can't seem to get these changes working on my new Laptop.

Apart from the difference in hardware, there are also software changes. I'm now using Vista instead of XP, v3.17 of BTS instead of v3.00 and I'm also using the BUG mod (with Blue Marble) for the first time.

Could anyone provide my with help as to what is preventing my changes from taking effect? I've read about Modular XML, but I'm not very good with this side of things. I can change a 0 to a 1 like the best of them, but I don't really understand many terms that are used.

I'd very much appreciate any and all help with this. I'm willing to remove the BUG mod, and go back to v3.00, if they are my only options, but I'm hoping I can keep the BUG mod and still alter the game to remove most of the aspects that I don't like.

Thanks. :)

Thanks for the reply. :)

Holding SHIFT didn't work, but I think I found the problem. The security settings in Vista wouldn't allow me to make changes to the XML files because they were in Program Files. The XML Editors I use were changing the XML files themselves, but Vista was only allowing the unedited versions to be used.

I'm going to reinstall the game outside of Program Files so I don't get this problem. :)

You shouldn't be making changes in the program files directory. Never alter your original files!

Copy the file you want to change to your custom assets folder, your game will load these automatically. But you'll have the originals still there, for when you make a mistake, and also for multiplayer.

I don't know how the CustomAssests folder or mods work, so I keep copies of the original XML files in other folders for when I make mistakes or just want to start my alterations all over again. :)

I seem to be having this problem again, but on my new PC.

Every XML alteration I make works, except the alterations in BuildingInfos. I've tried all sorts of things. Copying the altered files and deleting the originals then replacing them with the copy, deleting the BuildingInfos for Vanilla and Warlords, holding SHIFT while accessing the game.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate with the UAC disabled, and I've installed the game on a seperate partition from the operating system.

Anyone got any idea whats going wrong?

Thanks.

EDIT

Copy the file you want to change to your custom assets folder, your game will load these automatically.

This just led me onto something. I've found a BuildingInfos file in the CustomAssets, so this must be overiding my modified BuildingInfos. I don't know where this one has come from though. I've already copied it, and I'm thinking of altering it. I'm running BUG 4.4 and BULL 1.2, so I'm guessing it's come from one of those, but I'm not sure how to go about this.

If you have loaded a mod, the files from the mod folder override all other files. Files from CustomAssets override all other files except for those in mod folders.
The hierarchy is simple: mod* > CustomAssets** > BTS > Warlords > Vanilla.

* (if a mod is loaded)
** (unless a mod is loaded that doesn't allow CustomAssets)

If you have loaded a mod, the files from the mod folder override all other files. Files from CustomAssets override all other files except for those in mod folders.
The hierarchy is simple: mod* > CustomAssets** > BTS > Warlords > Vanilla.

* (if a mod is loaded)
** (unless a mod is loaded that doesn't allow CustomAssets)

Thanks. I've copied that into a Notepad file for safe keeping. :)

I decided to edit the CustomAssets XML after copying it's unaltered version to another folder.

Top Bottom