Yet another Orbis PBEM

Jarrema

Master Voter
Orbis game with some "strange" rules: cannot build settlers, but (thanks to Advanced start) everybody will start with 1-4 cities; barbarian cities exists from the beggining of the game; A lot of AI's in the game (for our abusement)

I am looking for 4-5 players (not including me). The game will start (hopefully) at weekend.
Be sure to install Orbis 1.0, current patch (1.0b) AND Elemental Unity Quickfix

Game Setup:

Map: Erebus Continents
Size: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Era: Ancient
Speed: Quick
Difficulty level: see below
Players: 5-6 humans (including me); 5 AI's

This is needed for you, when signing up.
1. Choose you CIV (First gets the civ he/she wants) (install mod, launch mod, see Civilopedia)
2. Write your GMT (so I can place a good Turn Order)
3. Look below for the vote-able options, if none is made it will be the default as described in ( ).
4. Send your Email, in Private to me (to arrange Turn Orders).

Starting Options:
A. Non vote-able:
1. Advanced Start (500 pts)
2. Challenge - Barbarian World (The world starts already inhabits with barbarian cities)
3. Raging barbarian: OFF (it would be too much)
4. Challenge - No settlers (cannot build settlers)
5. Compact enforced.
6. Map options: Smart Climate: ON (Modify Selection), flat world, high cohesion, low sea level, mountains, deserts, tundra, jungles, forest density, rivers and lakes left at their default setting.
See description in the Erebus Continents thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308590

B. Vote-able

Vote: Challenge - Slower XP (halves the experiences units gets though combat): [On/Off] [On: 0] [Off: 6] - [default is Off]

Vote: Wildlands (Doubles the amount of animals that will spawn):
[On/Off] [On: 5] [Off: 1] - [default is On]

Vote: No Tech Trading:
[On/Off] [On: 0] [Off: 6] - [default is Off]

Vote: No Tech Brokering:
[On/Off] [On: 4] [Off: 2] - [default is On]

Vote: All Unique Features:
[On/Off] [On: 5] [Off: 1] - [default is On]

Vote: Aggressive AI:
[On/Off] [On: 2] [Off: 3] - [default is On]

Vote: Starting plot rules: (1) full flavor; (2) limited flavor; (3) minimal flavor
Full flavor starts will follow the preferences defined for each civ whenever possible. Limited flavor starts uses modified preferences for civs that normally start in the tundra and snow so they will try to start at the edge of the tundra rather than burried in it. Minimal flavor rules will try to keep players from starting in tundra and it will add a process to clean up terrain around player starts replacing marsh, tundra and snow terrain with grassland (softly so it doesn't look like a big green BFC in the middle of tundra).
[Full: 4] [Limited: 2] [Minimal: 0] [default is limited]

Vote: Difficulty Level - special. Three options to choose from:
(1) Monarch; (2) Monarch AND Challenges: AI - no building reqiurements, AI - no minimum levels; (3) Emperor.
[Monarch: 2] [Monarch with challenges: 3] [Emperor: 1]
Default is: monarch with challenges. Why? Because AI in Orbis is really stupid and it deserves some help ;)

SPECIAL "HOUSE RULE": cannot play as: Kuriotates, Scions of Patria, Clan of Embers, Charadon or Kane.

players (in turn order)
1. Jarrema [GMT +1] Leader: Alexis
2. Lgaard [GMT +1] Leader: Kandros Fir. Votes: done
3. OldLion. Maer.
4. McWill123 [GMT -5]. Perpentach. Votes done. I got mail
5. Iskender [GMT +1] Leader: Tya Kiri. Got e-mail

I will try to describe here what I think are major changes from FfH to Orbis (for those of You who do not know Orbis well):
1. Changes in economy:
- reworked civics; no longer "wining combinations" like Aristogarian in FfH
- people eat 3 :food: instead of two, but lot of ways to increase food yields - technologies giving additional food from farms, buiding giving % bonus to food
- almost all improvements are "good" to use - no longer easy decissions.
- much more resources, including new strategic resource - duskwood (increases ranged attacks of archers)
2. New civilizations
- Dao - element masters, agnostic. summon elementals
- Mechanos - steampunk, antimagic, agnostic. a lot of machines
- Palatinate - middle ages civ, has smething to do with Warhammer setting :)
- Scions - undead civ, WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THIS GAME
- Tlacatl - lizards that play differently depending on alignment. Evil ones are slavers and potion masters, good ones - deeply religious
3. Reworked civilisations - basically all, but major changes to:
- Doviello (animal totems, only Charadon is barbaric)
- Elohim (huge reworking, I do not know details)
- Kuriotates (WILL NOT BE ALLOWED)
- Sidars (no more waning, units can survive their dead)

My advice: try to play with civilization before choosing it for this game - even if You think that You know this civ well from FfH You could be mistaked

4. Changes in religions:
- reworked Octopus Overlords - now named 'the Old Ones'. Lot of changes.
- Empyrean as state religion grants +20% :culture: in every city
- Council of esus as state religion grants +50% :espionage: in every city
- new religion: White Hand. If Illians are in the game, other civs can discover this tech only AFTER them (so Illians will always get Holy City). Will change terrain for tundra (not for Illians) and gie bonus in tundra (not for Illians and Doviello)
5. BTS-like rules:
- guilds (I believe 10 of them); every guild has something special - for example Miner's guild executive can found resources on hills (gold, copper etc.); guilds also give access to special buildings
- espionage (not as important as in BTS, but it is here)
- great generals: can join units, recruit in cities or build special buildings (there are lot of them)
6. Other important things:
- spell system reworked
- ranged attacks
- three barbarian factions: animals, orcs and demons. can be at peace with any of them -for example elves start at peace with animals, anyone can build ritual to get peac with demons, etc.
- reworked tech tree

Im in. have to load Orbis when I get home from work tonight. Ill look over the new races then, and make a decision on who to run. GMT is -4

votes-

B. Vote-able

Vote: Challenge - Slower XP (halves the experiences units gets though combat): [On/Off] [On: 0] [Off: 2] - [default is Off]

Vote: Wildlands (Doubles the amount of animals that will spawn):
[On/Off] [On: 2] [Off: 0] - [default is On]

Vote: No Tech Trading:
[On/Off] [On: 0] [Off: 2] - [default is Off]

Vote: No Tech Brokering:

Vote: All Unique Features:

Vote: Aggressive AI:
[On/Off] [On: 1] [Off: 1] - [default is On]

Vote: Starting plot rules1) full flavor; (2) limited flavor; (3) minimal flavor
Full flavor starts will follow the preferences defined for each civ whenever possible. Limited flavor starts uses modified preferences for civs that normally start in the tundra and snow so they will try to start at the edge of the tundra rather than burried in it. Minimal flavor rules will try to keep players from starting in tundra and it will add a process to clean up terrain around player starts replacing marsh, tundra and snow terrain with grassland (softly so it doesn't look like a big green BFC in the middle of tundra).
[Full: 1] [Limited: 1] [Minimal: 0] [default is limited]

Vote: Difficulty Level - special. Three options to choose from:
(1) Monarch; (2) Monarch AND Challenges: AI - no building reqiurements, AI - no minimum levels; (3) Emperor.
[Monarch: 1] [Monarch with challenges: 1] [Emperor: 0]
Default is: monarch with challenges. Why? Because AI in Orbis is really stupid and it deserves some help

Count me in. I'll play arount with Orbis for a few days and then choose a civ.

Cassiel. GMT -5.

Vote: Challenge - Slower XP (halves the experiences units gets though combat): OFF
Vote: Wildlands (Doubles the amount of animals that will spawn): ON
Vote: No Tech Trading: OFF
Vote: No Tech Brokering: OFF
Vote: All Unique Features: ON
Vote: Aggressive AI: OFF
Vote: Starting plot rules: (1) full flavor; (2) limited flavor; (3) minimal flavor FULL FLAVOR
Vote: Difficulty Level - special. MONARCH

I downloaded and installed Orbis and the soundtrack. Tried to play and it crashed.

I also downloaded the patch, but am not sure what to do with it, since it doesnt self install....also downloaded Elemental Unity..and dont know about that as well. please help

Patch is an auto-executive file that is additionaly packed into zip-archive. You must first unpack it, and then run it.
As for the Elemental Unity quickfix: It is just zip-archive file. You must unpack the files and overwrite what is in the Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Orbis

I downloaded it twice. it says under properties its a HIPS Email attachment...

Ive tried a couple times to open it and it doesnt do anything

and where might I put the Elemental Unity stuff? Im not a techie, and not good at figuring this stuff out...

ok puzzled through the elemental unity. and loaded a dif DLL that was suggested so it plays in windows XP. Still have to figure out how to get the patch to load...any idea how to open a HIPS email attachment file? (EFW file)

once the patch is in...Ill be Maer of the Mechanos

ok puzzled through the elemental unity. and loaded a dif DLL that was suggested so it plays in windows XP. Still have to figure out how to get the patch to load...any idea how to open a HIPS email attachment file? (EFW file)

once the patch is in...Ill be Maer of the Mechanos

It should not be that way...
Patch is a .zip file :(
There should be option to extract its content with the right mouse button - I'm not sure, i do such things under Total Commander, not under Windows themselves
I'll try to e-mail it to You (hope it is not too big)

this is what came to me- Orbis1.0-PatchB.1.2D0D17.efw

this is what i downloaded (3 xtimes I might add)- orbis_1_patchb.1.321C02.efw

please note both are efw files...

:(

Do You get my e-mail?
I have send You file: Orbis1.0-PatchB.exe
It should work well...
EDIT: check the size of the file. Is it 9 563 114?
If so, it is right file, only with wrong name. In that case, rename it to Orbispatch.exe or anything else with .exe.
If it has smaller size, maybe it is problem with Your system. I do not know then.

This seems to be a problem with CA security center renaming files that it considers risky.

So, it would be enough to rename file into something.exe?

I had tried that before i left home and it didnt take. Ill try again, renaming it both .exe and .zip to see what works...I also think it may be important where I place the file name.....

if anyone has any other guidance let me know

whats amazing to me is I asked in the download thread for Orbis and noone has got back to me....*shakes head*

push come to shove I have to shut down my security for my computer and download it then...

mcwill, thank you for your timely assistance. I disabled the security temporarily and downloaded the patch and loaded it successfully quick as you can ;)

Ready to rock Jarrema

Top Bottom