You can land on the moon without the knowledge of ballistics, metalworking or even mining

I thought that you were complaining about lack of obvious connections in the tech tree and not readability of the tree.
Sorry, I must have misunderstood.

You can't - or shouldn't - just throw one of those in the garbage to improve the other one. That's what Firaxis did in one direction, and you did in the other. I don't want to have to constantly click on every single tech in the tree to examine their connections because you can't see them at a glance.

It's kinda weird how unnecessary computers are.

Computers and Telecommunications are extremely weird. How does ANY of the stuff in the information age work without Telecommunications? And yet it's a leaf tech that leads to nothing! Yeah, I'm sure guidance systems and space travel work really well without the ability to transmit information electronically... Imagine people on Mars fiddling with their analog radio transmitters to try to contact Earth...

Last edited:
I don't want to have to constantly click on every single tech in the tree to examine their connections because you can't see them at a glanc
What you want - it doesn’t matter in this situation. What matters is what you can. And you either can have gaps or not see connections. Like I said - your choice.

And that is why, after my first game, I created Real Tech Tree. Number of such gaps and absurdities is immersion breaking for me.
Re: lines. The connection lines won’t cross because the algorithm here creates „junctions” between columns and runs the lines through there. As a result - they overlap. Not the ideal solution but flexible enough to actually handle more connections. I don’t expect that this algorithm will ever be changed by Firaxis (no real benefit at a huge cost, no „business case”).
So, in summary: you can have a better „content” or better „visuals”. Your choice.
I don't know for others, but I've realized that the lines were just cosmetic for me, ie when I want to see the path to a tech I find it faster to directly select it than looking over the tree, and even for global planning I don't find them very useful...

So in my mod I've removed the whole code for lines, and instead my tech tree use highlights on mouse over to show pre-requisites. That way I've condensed it a lot and only care for "content"

I don't know for others, but I've realized that the lines were just cosmetic for me, ie when I want to see the path to a tech I find it faster to directly select it than looking over the tree, and even for global planning I don't find them very useful...

So in my mod I've removed the whole code for lines, and instead my tech tree use highlights on mouse over to show pre-requisites. That way I've condensed it a lot and only care for "content"

This sounds like a somewhat better solution, but there's still an issue when the prerequisites are much earlier in the tree and not visible on the screen.

You can't - or shouldn't - just throw one of those in the garbage to improve the other one. That's what Firaxis did in one direction, and you did in the other. I don't want to have to constantly click on every single tech in the tree to examine their connections because you can't see them at a glance.

Computers and Telecommunications are extremely weird. How does ANY of the stuff in the information age work without Telecommunications? And yet it's a leaf tech that leads to nothing! Yeah, I'm sure guidance systems and space travel work really well without the ability to transmit information electronically... Imagine people on Mars fiddling with their analog radio transmitters to try to contact Earth...

There is a radio. Though the line between radio and telecommunication is rather blurry. Telecommunications gives you a nuclear sub so it's just maybe special communications for them - VLF and ELF radiostations or special satellites. And guidance systems can be rather autonomous. Active radar homing or inertial missiles for example.
And again not every country in the world produces their own computers but they all still use them.

Am I the only person that likes the Tech Tree?

It's very well done in terms of gameplay. And it "mostly" makes sense. Or, well, it makes enough sense to me.

The Tech Tree also has a few hidden connections, in that sometimes things aren’t explicitly interdependent, but they are via Eurekas.

And you can't complain about the leaf techs too much. Leaf techs are there to add some variety to the Tech Tree. If you get rid of all the leaf techs then ... er ... well, you wouldn't have any leaf techs. (Hmm. That argument may need more work.)

I mean, the whole tech tree thing is kind of retro. It would probably make more sense being something with, dunno, spheres, and you can choose this thing or that thing in any order, and it all lights up and looks sparkly or something. And you hop and swoosh around and then, ping, your in the Medieval Era and all your Cities have Castles and a free goat and you're now a Merchant Republic Feudal Monarchy of Ireland or something. I think that's how EUIV works, right?

But I like the sort of retro feel of it, and how having a tech tree connects Civ VI to previous Civ games. And splitting the tree into Culture and Science actually makes the whole thing really sing.

There's so much stuff that cheeses me off with Civ - you've got to enjoy the stuff that actually does work really well. And there's quite a lot that does work - Tech Trees, City States, Governments and Policy Cards, the split between Hammers, Gold and Faith. Other things.

You know, I'm not even really clear on what "researching" something means. If I research Harbours , then I can build Harbours. But does researching it mean no-one in my empire knew how to research Harbours beforehand. As in - absolutely nobody? And if I research it, but don't actually build any, did my empire really know how to build Harbours? I mean, if I'm in the Modern Era, and have tanks, I can't really build Chariots anymore. Do my people actually still know how to build Chariots? I mean, I haven't got a clue how to build a Chariot. It just doesn't come up very often. Sometimes I go months, even years, and just don't have any need to build a Chariot. Or a Pikeman.

Last edited:
Radio is a prerequisite though, giving broadcast centers... Maybe it was indeed a hoax filmed in NASAs basement!

"Do you believe, they put a man on the Moon, man on the Moon,
Do you believe, there's nothing out there that's cool, nothing to do?"
-R.E.M., "Man on the Moon."

Another frustrating faux pas and blind spot from the developer in my opinion. Why? Seriously, why? I really don’t get their logic.

Actually you can't.
It needs aluminum which requires mining
It sometimes need to be in currently forested tile hence mining

Radio is a prerequisite though, giving broadcast centers... Maybe it was indeed a hoax filmed in NASAs basement!
Only the "first" time.

You can make battering ram without tech wheel, even tough battering ram has wheels. :crazyeye:
Well, more primitive ones were carried by soldiers. The unit graphics could be just a general representation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom