Your Biggest Mistake

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Tell your biggest mistakes here, so the rest of us don't repeat ;)

I haven't really made any mistakes, except for building a city in the middle of the jungle and everybody started getting sick (How was I supposed to know? Its my first time!)

My first time playing, fortifying my entire army in the jungle!! They were there, waiting for the enemy to attack, and they all died of sickness. After that, this is when the enemy attacked xD.

In my first game, I was Rome. I built my capital, and everything started out normally. I sent out a Settler and built a new city, except it was about 10 tiles away. I then declared war on Greece. I started sending out military units, one by one towards Greece. So there was a trail of Roman units arriving and attacking Athens. Of course, these units were mostly Spearmen and Warriors, against Hoplites.

In another game as Rome, I had gotten to Gunpowder. I built 4 Musketmen and loaded them onto Galleys and sailed them to the other continent thinking "I have guns now. I'll destroy them!". Of course, the Babylonian Cavalry soon proved that thinking wrong.

One of mine was not realizing that galleys could in fact go into ocean squares, even if they ran the risk of sinking. After I cleared my continent, my galleys spent centuries circling my continent, waiting for someone to show up . . .

By the way, here's another thread on the "Biggest Blunders." Happy reading. :D

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=181073&highlight=blunders

Automating my workers at first.

I've made a ton of mistakes along the way, but I can't figure that any of them are worse than automating your workers when you consider the vast inefficiency that automating has on getting your cities up to maximum production and size.

I've said this before, but automated workers will literally run around in circles, wasting turns and productivity without getting enough done.

And, yeah - I did the jungle thing. Had a size 10 city in the middle of the jungle with just a road going in and a road going out - no other improvements. Needless to say, it was the disease capital of the world.

My biggest mistake was buying the game, :p

My biggest mistake was buying the game, :p

I was just about to write that very sentence myself.:eek:

Therefore, I second the motion.

When I got my first MGL I immediately attacked with him.
I figured a military leader must be a good fighter.

My biggest mistake is discussed in the thread in Aabraxan's link. I was a world-class blunderer in my newbie days. :(

I never had a problem automating, I didn't automate cities when I started and I don't do it anymore. I only automate workers when I have one or two, and those workers are POW's which suck anyway. Let them work their asses off.

My biggest problem wasn't starting a city in a jungle, but it was starting a city inside a jungle using Hittites (if you don't know the problem, their UU is a chariot) and the chariot was the best weapon at the time.

Also, another mistake was downloading Civ2 which prompted me to buy Civ3.

Mine was ending all of my troops in first, all of my armies, tanks, calvary, then after taking the first few cities, having none to spar to continue attacking only enough for defending .

my biggest mistake was going into a nearby goody hut in the first 2 turns of the game. A couple of angery barbarians came out and killed my settler that was just about to found my first city.

Yea, i didn't get veary far that game

Um, oops? :)

My first time ever playing... I played the Rise of Rome game as the Persians and had actually taken Egypt and parts of Greece. I decided to abandon the invasion of Greece once I captured Byzantium and to concentrate all my forces of the barbarian factions (Scythia / Celts / etc.) Greece rebuilt and pushed my ass out.

Taught me an important lesson.

Alexander is a prick...

Dunno if it was my biggest, but it was a big mistake: My first army (when I finally got the hang of loading troops into one) was making a well-balanced army, not with the legion that spawned the MGL but a vet one, a rider and a spearman. Absolutely useless and Alexander's hoplites promptly disposed of it the very same turn... :o

I made a huge blunder in a Hall of Fame attempt I was making, I was going for a fast diplo win, everything had gone beautifully during the game and I was on course to beat the current best finish date by about 10 turns.

Upon entering Modern Times I entered the big picture and gifted all my rivals up (all scientific of course) and was able to buy fission, which I needed to build the UN, without any trouble. I had a 1000 shield palace pre-build due to complete that same turn, unfortunately I forgot to go to the domestic advisor and change the palace to the UN, instead I exited the big picture, the palace completed and 20 hours of hard work went gushing down the drain :hammer2:

I learned my lesson however it took another 4 attempts before I eventually beat that date.

1) Forgetting about pre-builds. (multiple offenses)

2) Telling Shaka to shove off when I was in no shape to back up those words.

3) Nuking a weak neighbor strictly for the comic relief only to provoke the rest of the world into dog-piling me. "Guys! We're just having a little fun here so chill out!" Aiyeeeeee!

Taught me an important lesson.

Alexander is a prick...

Yah, in one of my early games I signed RoP with him in the early game and for four thousand years we cooperated peacefully until in the endgame the ratbastard RoP-raped me as I was building UN. He had been my friend and ally for four freaking millenia until he backstabbed me and foul and filth and filth and foul . . . *rant rant rant* :gripe:

Top Bottom