Your Favorite Map Settings

Global Highlands

No, really. These maps are a bit like Continents maps, but with more mountain ranges. I find them to be incredibly organic-looking and quite unpredictable. (For added fun and even more "realism" go with Toroidal world wrap.) Each civ starts out with a "natural border" of sorts, created by the mountains. This map is good if you don't like spamming a ton of cities early, and prefer a smaller empire with big cities. (While Fractal is also somewhat unpredictable, it creates one long, winding continent way too often for me. I sincerely hate those maps. Global Highlands is much more natural-looking, while being just as unpredictable as Fractal, if not more.)

Hemispheres (2)

Again, I like to go for natural, organic-looking maps. This one gives a nice mix of large continents, with some island regions. It's superior to Big & Small, in my view, because with B&S you have the "problem" of being connected to every civ in the game prior to Caravels. This makes things much easier for the human as 1) you have many more trading partners in the early eras, and 2) conquest/domination become much easier. So I don't play B&S any more, it's very predictable. (Hempisheres is also quite predictable, but in a less-consequential way. Global Highlands is tops because it's entirely unpredictable how many civs you'll have on your landmass.)

I also add 2-3 civs to almost every game I play. I really hate huge, sprawling empires with tons of cities to manage. I prefer my games to be composed of more civs with smaller empires. It's much more realistic, and more challenging for the player. (If you haven't found the theme, that's it: reducing player advantages over the AI. I'd rather play such a game than go up in difficulty where I'm simply competing against built-in cheats. (I play at Monarch currently.) The final ingredient for this recipe should be Aggressive AI, but I guess I just don't like how far this option tilts the game in one direction. Peaceful strategies become considerably easier, while warmongering becomes much less attractive. I'm a peaceful player by nature, so while Agg AI deals with one clear player advantage, it's not one that I usually make much use of in my games anyway.)

I like Pangaea, Ice Age and Terra maps.

As for climate.....usually temperate, but sometimes tropical. Also cold when I'm in or a challenge. Usually low sea level.

I also like archipelago, tiny islands, high sea levels maps, because it's funny how little land each player gets. There's only like a few islands and none of the landmasses consist of more then 10 tiles :D

I play continents and pangea because everyone else does. I always thought things like highlands, ice age, oasis were novelty maps that people only played for fun.

Oh, for people that like one continent, maybe you haven't had the pleasure of chasing down invasion forces of galleons and frigates with destroyers. Well, at lower levels.

Terra Maps, Archipeligo, or Hemisphere's. 18 Civs, very huge (and I modded that to mean 400x300 size), raging barbs, I vary the climate and sea level.

Fractal
Standard
Temperate
Medium Sealevel

Add 2 more AI's to crowd the map, ensuring that we run out of free land right about when I want to stop expanding anyway.

I love archipelago and fractal. Continents is too boring, just a couple blobs with no islands to speak of... Totally bunk. And I've never understood why so many people like Pangaea. It seems rather unrealistic and beyond that, why do you want to cut the whole naval aspect out of the game? Sure you have to co-ordinate things a bit better to get your troops onto the ships and the ships to the enemy, but IMO that's a lot better than watching trebuchets and maceman marching for 50 turns across some absurdly large landmass.

I'm a fan of hemispheres and Big and Small because I like to have a good naval element to the game, just not early on. They are both unpredictable and give me lots of options to play. I used to play continents in vanilla but Hemispheres does the same things it just makes much more interesting maps. I also play Archipeligo, Terra and pangaea once in a while for the different playstyles they require.

I'm a fan of hemispheres and Big and Small because I like to have a good naval element to the game, just not early on. They are both unpredictable and give me lots of options to play.

Is this available in Warlords? Or BtS only? Or is it a modpak?

Rainforest, same Qs.

Thanks.

CK

I play mostly Global Highlands, because of the land based strategic element (ie: mountains and rivesr).
I find most of the other scripts rely to much on water to create strategic challanges.

(also, as half the time im playing co op, I want the map to be pangea-like so I choose massive continents, clustered mountains and low sea levels, which almost always gives the desired results)

ck07

Big & Small, Big & Medium and Hemispheres are all only in BtS. I'm not sure about rainforest

Hi

When I very first started playing I usually went with pangea but now I usually play big and small or hemispheres with two continents. I tried great lakes but never liked the big snow patches at the north and south but after seeing inland sea in the ALC game I tried it a couple of times and really like it. It's kinda like great lakes but without the snow patches.

Sometimes for fun I tried situational type games like Bootycall and her galics on highlands or Aztecs on rainforest--Jags are freaking SCARY on that map hehe.

And if you are fan of chopping that arboia map that is like 80% forest will be heaven for you. Same deal if you fan of deer because the map gets TONS. I swear even with just a modest size empire you can get 20 plus deer in your borders hehe.

Plus Aztecs can be even SCARIER on that map because not only do woody 3 jags work just as good in forests as they do jungles but NOW Aztecs can also chop em out as well as whip em.

Kaytie

Top Bottom