1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your First 10 Techs.

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Licentia, Nov 24, 2004.

1. jarvisc

jarvisc Chieftain

Hi, sorry I'm late catching up on the forum. Just curious about your strategy here. At what point do you build the Pyramids, and how? It always seemed to me that building a 300-shield wonder mostly by direct shield production in one of your early cities is a huge price to pay. I usually get Democracy by around 2,000 BC (and republic ~2500 BC) so it's hard for me to see how to build Pyramids quicker than that and still have the opportunity cost pay off. Just curious how you go about it, if you'd care to share more? --Jarvis

2. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

Can't answer for OJ, but here's how i manage the high cost of Wonders. A city's first production is always a Settler, which founds another city ASAP. As soon as that 1st wagon is settled into a new city, a second Settler is built. When that one's ready to leave the nest, the city builds a Temple, and maybe a Granary and Marketplace if there's time to kill before i learn Trade.

Once Trade is obtained, i organize these Wonder-eligible cities into quartets. Like mutual-aid societies, three of the cities in that grouping of four build Caravans and the other one builds a Wonder. Once the Wonder is built, that city makes Caravans and one of the other 3 starts hammering out its own Wonder. The important thing is to have a Temple and an active Settler to slow each city's growth, adjusting the squares the city eats to make the food surplus only one wheatstalk per turn. Naturally, you want to eat forests and coalmines to pop out Caravans as fast as possible.

Soon enough, all four cities in that group have their own Wonder. The foursome of Wonders is completed faster than if each city worked alone, since one of those 4 Settlers may found a city, so you can shift to more shields to keep food +1 in its former home. That surplus production would benefit one Wonder using the normal method of construction, but in a mutual-aid quartet it benefits all 4 Wonders.

The other main boon from a mutual-aid society is that instead of getting a flurry of Wonders 30 - 40 turns after starting, you get them at 12, 20, 28 and 36 turns (example numbers only.) Staggering the builds lets you choose which Wonder you need the most urgently, say, The Pyramids.

Finally, it returns cities to "active duty" one by one, in case of an emergency. You don't have 4 cities all locked into builds for 35 turns, you have one locked and three cities stay flexible if a rival lands some Legions on your shore. Each city is only locked for 10 or 12 turns.

Works great for building a quick fleet of Cathedrals too.

3. Civ1onSNES

Civ1onSNES Chieftain

Here is my list for despotic conquest:
    1. Bronze working -> phalanx
    2. Wheel -> chariot
    3. Alphabet
    4. Mapmaking -> trireme
    5. Masonry
    6. Mathematics -> catapult
    7. Ceremonial burial
    8. Mysticism
    9. Astronomy
    10. Navigation -> sail

And then 100% to taxes. Each unit is invented as quickly as possible. There are tactical changes depending on if I am alone in the island, then navigation as quickly as possible.

For the democratic strategy:
    1. Bronze working -> phalanx
    2. Wheel -> chariot
    3. Alphabet
    4. Writing -> diplomat
    5. Code of Laws
    6. Ceremonial burial
    7. Mysticism
    8. Literacy
    9. Philosophy
    10. Democracy

Then revolution to democracy, develop cities/sciencies and buy everything on the long term.