1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Pc Specs

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by dosed150, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

Not quite - Ubuntu 7.04 is a Linux distro. He is not asking whether his computer will be able to run it ok, he is wondering whether a Linux distro will be able to run CivIV - especially since CivIV was not compiled for the Linux platform! In Linux, you cannot simply insert the CivIV DVD and click 'Install' - Linux has no idea what an exe is...so this is where WINE comes in handy.

WINE is a bit like a Windows emulator, and it allows several Windows compatible applications to be run in Linux. WINE runs Civ4 very well, and it should be perfect - as long as you have a supported graphics card. I tried it on my brothers Linux, and it worked great except that it was totally unplayable - his graphics card is a GeForce MX 440, which couldn't render terrain properly - it was black :crazyeye: . So, follow my link above if you want to install it. It isn't too hard, and I will gladly help you if you want to PM me.

2. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

that's why I asked :blush: I bought a Dell with 4GB and Vista 32 (I didn't get an option for 64) At the time I was oblivious to the 3GB limit, since I thought that with 32Bit you can adress 4GB just fine (didn't think of other stuff that needs to be adressed too, like the geforce :blush:)

So now I'm stuck with 3GB when I paid for 4 :ack: Funny thing is that Dell insists that 'internally' windows does all 4GB, it just only displays 3GB :lol: