Your TOP THREE most wanted gameplay changes

criZp

Emperor
We don't already have a thread like this, do we? Top 3 changes you'd like firaxis to make to the gameplay.

1: A reason to settle cities on the coast, preferably a trade related reason. The civ 5 split between land traders and sea traders did this just fine. Another possibility is to keep the single trader unit, but give a trade route double yields if both the start city and the end city are coastal.

2: If tourism is gonna be its own yield-type, then it should do something more than just deciding what moment you get a cultural win. It could affect loyalty pressure on foreign cities, perhaps?

3: A limitation on how many trade routes I can send to the same city, to prevent the optimal strategy being to send every single trade route to the biggest and best city available (I know about the tourism boost from trade between different civs, but that just isn't enough). Preferably no more than one trade route to each different city.

1. The absolute single most tedious feature in Civ VI is the change to how you move onto difficult terrain. It should be like IV/V, where you could use a unit's last point of movement to enter hills/forest/etc. instead of requiring you to sit around and wait a turn to do so.
2. AI Joint War improvements.
3. Rebalance the terrain and improvement yields as well as harvest yields to more strongly encourage improving terrain and resources, while making harvests not as powerful in the mid-to-late game.

People still aren't settling on the coast? I have been settling on the coast ever since they added +2 adjacency for the city center to the harbor. And now with Liang and reefs, coast tiles are much much better. Coastal cities also maximize loyalty projection.

Definitely agree with the joint wars, something is off there.

I don't really like the idea of limiting trade routes. A lot of real empires work in that fashion - think Rome or London

1. The absolute single most tedious feature in Civ VI is the change to how you move onto difficult terrain. It should be like IV/V, where you could use a unit's last point of movement to enter hills/forest/etc. instead of requiring you to sit around and wait a turn to do so.
2. AI Joint War improvements.
3. Rebalance the terrain and improvement yields as well as harvest yields to more strongly encourage improving terrain and resources, while making harvests not as powerful in the mid-to-late game.

#3 Chops are no longer affected by % modifiers other than Magnus. There I fixed it.

#3 Chops are no longer affected by % modifiers other than Magnus. There I fixed it.

I'd rather they just didn't scale, or at least in that way. I'm fine with allowing production modifiers to apply to them (though overflow should be more handled more logically like in IV).

We don't already have a thread like this, do we? Top 3 changes you'd like firaxis to make to the gameplay.
1-2-3/ give us access to the DLL source code so I can mod in my Top 100 changes.

Spoiler :
1 : fix the diplomatic AI
2 : change the combat mechanisms with multiple units per tile and support fire
3 : the 98 others

People still aren't settling on the coast? I have been settling on the coast ever since they added +2 adjacency for the city center to the harbor. And now with Liang and reefs, coast tiles are much much better. Coastal cities also maximize loyalty projection.
+2 gold to the harbor and +2 production to the shipyard is really not much to boast about. Reefs are rare. The fishery improvement is alright, but I can't stand the thought of having to micro the governor around in every coastal city I make. The fishery also looks kinda ugly. And you don't even need to put the cities on the coast to have their backs to the water.

Honestly I wouldn't mind trade routes going back to Civ4 style, and have it behind the scenes. The trade routes slow up the game considerably, and this would speed the game up. Perhaps people would complain there is less to do, but trade routes aren't exactly the most interesting thing in the world (though I do admit choosing which city to send it to can be strategic). I know this makes a mess of pillaging. But is it worth slowing the game down so much?

Can't think of 2 other things, I love this game. Other than improve the AI of course.

+2 gold to the harbor and +2 production to the shipyard is really not much to boast about. Reefs are rare. The fishery improvement is alright, but I can't stand the thought of having to micro the governor around in every coastal city I make. The fishery also looks kinda ugly. And you don't even need to put the cities on the coast to have their backs to the water.
If I'm settling coastal cities, it's an overarching strategy for the whole game, not just 1 or 2 cities. So I'll be taking the 2X harbor adjacency card for sure. Also in my largest coastal city, I'll form a triangle with city center, harbor and commercial hub + Reyna which is an absolute financial powerhouse.

Microing Liang is a bit annoying but pays off

1 - Remove the "you're winning" hidden penalty that make friendly leaders have a bad atitude towards you (no friendship/alliance, bad deals, nonsense wars). It was a bad idea when it was an actual penalty that made the relationship worse. It's a worse idea now that it's hidden in a diplomacy system that is trying to be clear and open to the player. If the fact that I'm winning will affect diplomacy, it need to be clearly presented to the player so we can take it into account, otherwise it just feel like diplomacy is broken and 2+2 doesn't equal 4 all of the sudden. It also need to be something I can deal with somehow. If I'm doing really well diplomatically, like all green and no red, it need to mean something. Bad idea Firaxis, pls, get rid of it to make diplomacy great again.

2 - Cede cities. Most people don't know what it actually does and use it thinking it do something it doesn't. It's misleading, it's broken, either fix or remove it. It serve no purpose in the game aside of misleading players.

3 - Government policy slots rebalance. Wild is OP good, Military is weak. There's way too much governments with too much military and not enough wild, which make them arguably worse than governments that doesn't have as much military slots and have more wild slots. To add insult to injury, this governments with better slots also have better bonuses, which make it really hard to give other governments a chance..

1 - Remove the "you're winning" hidden penalty that make friendly leaders have a bad atitude towards you

I think that's gone with the expansion. Replaced by emergencies. If it's still there, I haven't noticed.

I STRONGLY disagree! The 'fact' that the IV/V movement mechanics were totally asinine in this manner is not a good reason to duplicate them (other than players being accustomed to it).

Sure, but the commercial hub doesn't have the option to convert that gold to production like the shipyard

1. Teach the AI to use air units. and modern combat in general. Earlier ages are a lot better but endgame combat is just faceroll
2. I would love to have a Liberation CB pop up if an AI conquers a city-state I was suzerain of, maybe have a time limit and 25% warmonger for declaring or something but I would like to be able to declare war just to liberate CSes and weaken the enemy
3. There are a lot of other minor things but, I really don't like how Great Prophets aren't in the game after founding religions, there have been many great religious leaders well into the modern era, all the Christian saints, protestant reformers, Joseph Smith, the dalai lama. They have done a lot to improve the religious game, they should add prophets too, make them like a super apostle, or make them like a Great General with a combat/movement bonus for religious units nearby, and give them a special on-use ability, all the early ones would just have found a religion but past the classical era, it could be interesting engineer-style bonuses to the religion, and then 1 or 2 late game opportunities to found a religion, in the medieval/industrial era. Arabia's ability would need to be reworked too

1. Make Great People capturable, excluding Great Generals and Great Admirals who can be killed if not protected. This would remove the immersion-breaking issue of Great People being usable as scouts, and discourage Great Person hoarding. It would also make the whole system more dynamic, especially in multiplayer where players could declare wars over Great People.

2. A rework to the Culture Victory/Tourism system. I agree that having Tourism be a resource of its own is unnecessary and confusing. Either remove it entirely, or make Great Works and Wonders provide a set amount of Tourism per turn, and give Tourism additional effects such as Loyalty.

3. City-State improvements, such as giving them Walls at base and enabling them to capture cities. Maritime City-States would also be a great introduction.

1. Fix joint war. Either both parts need to have denounced target, or something else needs to go in to stop pointless joint war spam.
2. Fix how roads are created. The idea to tie it to traders might have been good on paper, but in reality it's really bad. Traders will lay down incoherent road spam where some roads run one tile adjacent to another, or misses a city by one tile, or something else. We need some sort of "connect-the-dots" feature to designate how traders travel from one city to another (i.e. start in city A, then go to city B, city C and end in city D, even if they are not on a straight line).
3. Fix the "era+1" problem with great people, if it was not already done in RnF (actually haven't really checked up on that yet). (To explain what I mean, in vanilla game, if you were in Industrial era and recruited an Industrial Era great person, the next one on the list would be from Modern era - even though you had not yet advanced to Modern era. This meant that a lot of Great Persons never came up for recruiting each game, while at the end of the game, you'd just have a blank list with no great people left because all had been recruited.)

Honorable mention:
4. Remove religion cap. It's obsolete with new religion system where you can easily eradicate foreign religions. Otherwise as an alternative: Let us gain ownership of a religion by capturing the holy city.
5. Fix natural parks by removing stupid "all tiles must be owned by same city" condition. Also, allow tilted diamond shapes and not just vertical.

Top Bottom