Votes: 57 35.2%
  • It's not for me.

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • Zombies in Civ? Never!

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Haven't tried it yet.

Votes: 55 34.0%

• Total voters
In my current game, two or three times zombies have put Ulundi under siege and pounded it to bits. But when it is down to zero health, further attacks have no effect. I guess they can't take it because they can't raze it (capital city) so the attacks become void. It seems rather strange and illogical.

Yes, you become the living dead, long long turns repeated, groan.

Yeah it grinds.

On a positive note though, I think this mode (Zombie Defense) explains some of the design choices behind The Gaul (i.e. the defensible IZ), Vietnam ("driving out the aggressors") and even Kublai Khan (who refreshed China).

Kupe seems really strong in Zombie Defense for some reason. I played the same 6-Armed Snowflake as Kupe and the Zombies didn't snowball.
20210406162012_1.jpg

(Of course you settle Kupe next to Galapagos or Great Barrier Reef).

(Of course you settle Kupe next to Galapagos or Great Barrier Reef).
I don't know... I would be going for a quick culture win and probably settle Kilimanjaro for ridiculous capital growth. Science bores me as long as monopolies give ridiculous tourism bonuses (please, please hit this much harder with the nerf bat. Much, much harder. I'll enjoy the fast wins in the meantime) that mean flight/radio/computers is irrelevant. Never considered Kupe for the 6-armed snowflake game. Cheat code just like Terra games with Kupe, obviously, but that may be my next game.

6-armed snowflake is a multiplayer map. It is rigged heavily in the player's favour if you use it for single player.

I don't know... I would be going for a quick culture win and probably settle Kilimanjaro for ridiculous capital growth.

When I've played snowflake in the past, I've almost always settled Kilimanjaro ->

But for Kupe IDK.

In Zombie Defense the whole strategy has to change. Depending on how quickly the Zombies snowball you can't really rush to settle the center. Instead take out the island city states cos islands are much easier to defend against Zombies. Hence maybe why Kupe's playstyle is strong in Zombie Defense. Also not to mention the Toa, a free unit which can build defensive Pas on hills (which there are a lot of on snowflake) that exert 10HP for Zombies (or any unit) in passing.
Has anyone compared zombies with and without barbarian clan mode?

Yes. Zombie Defense is much harder without Barbarian Clans.

Barb mode basically clamps down on Zombies in the later game. (But I want to test the full effect of Zombies so I'm playing without Barb mode for now).

6-armed snowflake is a multiplayer map. It is rigged heavily in the player's favour if you use it for single player.

True. It's my "training wheels" :)

Last edited:
It is harder without. And it is harder on lower levels. AI with no bonuses is very fast reduced to capitals only and city states vanish one by one.

I think you're right.

I still can't explain when Zombies snowball.
On my 3rd attempt as The Maya on Snowflake the Zombies were in balance. They killed a city state and several cities but finally got under control. (Also I cracked the It's A Trap achievement!)

Here you can see of all the civs, Portugal is doing really well. It's what I guessed. Portugal plays very strongly in Zombie Defence, cos of sea trade.

I'm playing on a Pangea map going for a domination game. I've picked Rome, and the zombies have been no trouble. I'm doing some tests that's why I decided for the wars. I'm playing on King, and the AI is just hopeless, because the only one who is snowballing is me. The only problem so far has been protecting the trade routes.

Have someone played on Lakes? I find I have more barb problem with this map script. Going for domination on this map might be more of a challenge.

Well I read earlier that turning off the barbarian clan mode made the zombies worse...and it's true. All my games since barbarian clan mode came out have had it on and when zombie mode came out, zombies were annoyances except for one game and they weren't this bad. I've played two games tonight on King and in both with barbarian clans off there has been a marked increase in zombies. Major zombie swarms attacking my cities. I assume you can lose cities to the zombies? I had a couple get close before walls got built. I'm playing on a wetlands map with Portugal. I've played the wetlands map before with barbarian clans on and it was never this bad. I've never seen so many of them before, they are swarming everyone. I had one city surrounded with swarms like in the above image from @blackbutterfly . My archers are earning their keep as are all my units. I've lost quite a few units to them too. Very interesting that's for sure.

Hi guys,

I tried Zombie mode for a couple games and it's so bland and repetitive for me? In the last game I played, I only used to see one or two zombie spawns spawning up in the same place over and over again, and dealing with them wasn't difficult at all.

Is my game bugged or is it the mods interfering? Lol

Hi guys,

I tried Zombie mode for a couple games and it's so bland and repetitive for me? In the last game I played, I only used to see one or two zombie spawns spawning up in the same place over and over again, and dealing with them wasn't difficult at all.

Is my game bugged or is it the mods interfering? Lol
This answer is only based on my recent experience. But what I've seen so far (I use some mods BTW) is that with Barbarian Clans mode on and zombie mode on they weren't too bad. Most games were as you described, except for one where they were worse with high strength by the modern era. But two games in with Barbarian clans turned off and it's been a night and day difference in the size and frequency of the swarms. In both games I had 3-5 of them spawn by my capital with only the starting warrior to defend as I just finished my first scout and was working on my first settler. Further on still in the ancient era, they'd almost taken out two of my cities prior to walls and I had to sacrifice units and buy more with gold (with what I had anyway) to stop them which of course made more zombies. At the rate they are spawning and getting killed their strength is going to be nasty in the near future and I'm only in the classical age in my current game. Clearly the modes have an effect, at least the Barbarian clans one anyway. I am playing with the Dramatic Ages, Monopolies and Corporations and Zombie modes on and the others off. As for mods, well the ones I'm using don't have any effect on this from what I am seeing. And I gather the difficulty level does affect them too though I don't know what the cutoff point is between OMG and meh, zombies. I gather from earlier posts it's due to AI bonuses against them. But I'm just a casual player, not an expert so I'm just basing much of this on what I've read. The only stuff I can definitively say is what I've experienced and on King with the above settings they are getting quite nasty.

This answer is only based on my recent experience. But what I've seen so far (I use some mods BTW) is that with Barbarian Clans mode on and zombie mode on they weren't too bad. Most games were as you described, except for one where they were worse with high strength by the modern era. But two games in with Barbarian clans turned off and it's been a night and day difference in the size and frequency of the swarms. In both games I had 3-5 of them spawn by my capital with only the starting warrior to defend as I just finished my first scout and was working on my first settler. Further on still in the ancient era, they'd almost taken out two of my cities prior to walls and I had to sacrifice units and buy more with gold (with what I had anyway) to stop them which of course made more zombies. At the rate they are spawning and getting killed their strength is going to be nasty in the near future and I'm only in the classical age in my current game. Clearly the modes have an effect, at least the Barbarian clans one anyway. I am playing with the Dramatic Ages, Monopolies and Corporations and Zombie modes on and the others off. As for mods, well the ones I'm using don't have any effect on this from what I am seeing. And I gather the difficulty level does affect them too though I don't know what the cutoff point is between OMG and meh, zombies. I gather from earlier posts it's due to AI bonuses against them. But I'm just a casual player, not an expert so I'm just basing much of this on what I've read. The only stuff I can definitively say is what I've experienced and on King with the above settings they are getting quite nasty.
Well, I was in the really later eras and the only zombies I saw were two or three spawns that were spawning in THE SAME spot over and over again. There were no barbarians in sight since much of the map had been covered by either me or the AI, so IDK about that theory. One thing I did see was that when the AI attacked me, and I had trouble dealing with their hero unit, lots of zombies spawned at the same time in that same place and I did become a little overwhelmed. But when I'm at peace, it's nothing that threatening, lol. I didn't really find a use for the "Dark Signal" project or the other science one (that controls the zombies) at all.

I think Civ 6 has a lot of bugs TBH, so I guess it's that.

Barbarians mode is just one way the Zombie effect can be dampened. Another is having a runaway Dramatic Ages effect where large numbers of free cities occupy the map. Another is starting on higher difficulties where CS get walls and AI gets bonus settlers.

Another would just be in any mode or map where the AI and player(s) manage to civilize the map quickly, and with minimal wars. Basically, if a few zombies aren't being killed every turn they won't mutate much and fall behind in combat strength.

Barbarians mode is just one way the Zombie effect can be dampened. Another is having a runaway Dramatic Ages effect where large numbers of free cities occupy the map. Another is starting on higher difficulties where CS get walls and AI gets bonus settlers.

Another would just be in any mode or map where the AI and player(s) manage to civilize the map quickly, and with minimal wars. Basically, if a few zombies aren't being killed every turn they won't mutate much and fall behind in combat strength.
I never thought the free cities might dampen them. I have had runaway free cities many times using dramatic ages and never thought of it being a factor in dampening the zombie effect. And yes, civilizing areas does over some time start to dampen the numbers. I'm pretty early in my current game so any dampening isn't occurring from this. And the amount of wars has an effect too. The one game where barbarian mode was on had the AI doing multiple wars with each other (two AI civ's were wiped out) and the number of zombies was heavier and their strength got quite high by the time the modern era came around. But it still didn't match what I am getting right now.

Well, I was in the really later eras and the only zombies I saw were two or three spawns that were spawning in THE SAME spot over and over again. There were no barbarians in sight since much of the map had been covered by either me or the AI, so IDK about that theory. One thing I did see was that when the AI attacked me, and I had trouble dealing with their hero unit, lots of zombies spawned at the same time in that same place and I did become a little overwhelmed. But when I'm at peace, it's nothing that threatening, lol. I didn't really find a use for the "Dark Signal" project or the other science one (that controls the zombies) at all.

I think Civ 6 has a lot of bugs TBH, so I guess it's that.
I've not once used the dark signal or turn undead stuff. Never think of it to be honest even in my current game. I got a zombie unit once from a goody hut but it was pretty weak.

I've not once used the dark signal or turn undead stuff. Never think of it to be honest even in my current game. I got a zombie unit once from a goody hut but it was pretty weak.

I think it has to do with maps too.

If you want to play Zombie apocalypse then play 6-Armed Snowflake. Or 4 Leaf Clover if you want an easy game. Turn off Barbarian Clans mode.
I had one city surrounded with swarms like in the above image from @blackbutterfly . My archers are earning their keep as are all my units. I've lost quite a few units to them too. Very interesting that's for sure.

Ranged units are what you need vs. Zombies. Place them in your cities and encampments (if the Zombies haven't destroyed it that is).

Also naval units like Byzantium's Dromon are great too. Cos you can kill Zombies from the coast and never have casualties (unless from regular barbs).

What is key, I've found to controlling Zombies is making sure you build defenses. Barricades and traps. When you build them the AI send a mix of Zombies and regular barbs to pillage the improvements. As a result the Zombies don't get a chance to get too strong.
20210408215522_1.jpg

(Portugal on 6 Armed Snowflake, Zombie Defense, Dramatic Ages and Monopolies & Corporations).

Last edited:
I think it has to do with maps too.

If you want to play Zombie apocalypse then play 6-Armed Snowflake. Or 4 Leaf Clover if you want an easy game. Turn off Barbarian Clans mode.

Ranged units are what you need vs. Zombies. Place them in your cities and encampments (if the Zombies haven't destroyed it that is).

Also naval units like Byzantium's Dromon are great too. Cos you can kill Zombies from the coast and never have casualties (unless from regular barbs).

What is key, I've found to controlling Zombies is making sure you build defenses. Barricades and traps. When you build them the AI send a mix of Zombies and regular barbs to pillage the improvements. As a result the Zombies don't get a chance to get too strong.
View attachment 593150
(Portugal on 6 Armed Snowflake, Zombie Defense, Dramatic Ages and Monopolies & Corporations).
I'll have to try those maps. I've never tried them all this time.

Yes I agree with ranged units being key. I use a mix of ranged and cavalry units. Well placed encampments help. For a good part of a game a hit from a ranged unit, and a hit from a walled city or encampment is enough to wipe out a zombie unit. I use cavalry units as a rapid reaction force to get in a first hit on the zombies then hit them with ranged attacks. But when they get strong, they can take a hit from a city, from an encampment, from a ranged unit and still have some left so rushing cavalry over to finish them off works well. I've even had them survive a city attack, encampment attack, and two ranged attacks when they are strong. I use traps a fair bit but haven't really found good places for barricades a lot of the time in the maps I play. .

I've been keeping logistics slotted as much as possible while playing this. Helps for a quick response to flare ups.

This was a mostly peaceful game so the zombies stayed relatively weak. I'm playing Portugal and am swimming in gold so once I got the lead on my competition (science or diplo, whichever comes first) my spies haven't had a lot to do other than a couple defense missions. So I figured I'd experiment with ramping up zombie strength by summoning them in Australia, my closest competitor on the other continent. Each summon brings 4-6 zombies depending on the city. So far Curtain's been able to squash it pretty easily but repeatedly doing this is bumping mutation str up at a pretty rapid pace.

I'm curious to see where it gets before I finish the game.

I've been keeping logistics slotted as much as possible while playing this. Helps for a quick response to flare ups.

This was a mostly peaceful game so the zombies stayed relatively weak. I'm playing Portugal and am swimming in gold so once I got the lead on my competition (science or diplo, whichever comes first) my spies haven't had a lot to do other than a couple defense missions. So I figured I'd experiment with ramping up zombie strength by summoning them in Australia, my closest competitor on the other continent. Each summon brings 4-6 zombies depending on the city. So far Curtain's been able to squash it pretty easily but repeatedly doing this is bumping mutation str up at a pretty rapid pace.

I'm curious to see where it gets before I finish the game.
That sound fun actually :)

Top Bottom