[C3C] Zombie RPG mod

Just some general answers to start with that can certainly be experimented with:
These answers pertain to the CIV III/Conquests Game

What are the maximum run times of a unit’s animation and audio files?

In general, the game uses 1 to 2 seconds depending on the Unit Action.
You can use Attack A, Attack B and Attack C for one long Attack by splitting the Animation into 3 parts that will play through all continuously without hesitations until the Unit Wins or Dies. I used this technique for my Unit The Drunk.
You could set one of the 3 Attacks as no sound if you want a hesitation, etc...
Because the Fortify plays just before the Attack, the Fortify is generally the Fastest Animation and Sound.
Depending on what you are wanting to do with Animations and Sounds, it will require Testing to see what can be done with the Animations and Sounds for Units.

What is the maximum area that a unit can occupy?
Using Flicster and Civ3FlicEdit, 240 x 240 Frame is the largest frame size used for Units but I am not sure that a different program could be used to make larger Frame Sizes that could work in game. The 240 x 240 frame size is probably used as the largest size due to the size of the Game Tiles and space concerning Unit interactions when attacking/defending on the map.

Could I simply package a custom soundtrack in to one large MP3 file and use it to replace the existing music?
Not sure all music can be placed in one long MP3 file for playback but each music MP3 file can be placed in the Sounds-Build-Misc folder separately. Make a music.txt file and place the Names of each MP3 Music in the order of desired play sequence. That text file is placed in the Text Folder.

You might talk to Kyriskos as he has worked on making some different Games other than CIVIII/Conquests.

These are a few examples to explain why I’m asking.

The default.flc can be used to show background characters shopping, talking with each other, working on something, trying to get your attention etc.
The death.flc can allow for the same opponent to be defeated and fight again elsewhere in the story by making it look like they just ran away.

A two second run time wouldn’t be great but that size limit would allow characters to look like they’re walking around and for scenes like a cock fight or a bar brawl and so on.
Not sure all music can be placed in one long MP3 file for playback but each music MP3 file can be placed in the Sounds-Build-Misc folder separately. Make a music.txt file and place the Names of each MP3 Music in the order of desired play sequence. That text file is placed in the Text Folder.
I should have known about that.
Thanks, Vuldacon

You need a script… as in, a story script? I translate and proofread books, I might be able to help.

Hi guys.

I thought it might help to show you how this stuff is going to work. There’s very little to show on the .biq (just a few roughed out buildings) but you can walk around and get a sense of what it’s going to feel like.

The folder contains the .biq and some notes.

All of these graphics are temporary so if you see something that you want to improve, please do. I need lots of prop graphics like market shelving, furniture, industrial equipment etc.

Download

It's too late to start downloading at this time of night here, but is this a playable .biq or are we meant to look at this through the editor?

I've said it so many times already but I'm so impressed! I need to reinstall civ and give this a try. I'd like to offer help but my time is very limited. If there are any small things like minor graphics work you need I could maybe help though I think you've got that under control yourself.

I never dreamt a scripted story RPG might be possible! You truely are a master of stretching the limits of what can be done with Civ 3! I'm feeling inspired to try to adapt what you have here for my one fantasy RPG mod though I'm not sure I'll be able to find the time.

The concept and previews make it sound quite Wesnoth-y.

Hi, nick0515
I hope you’re keeping well.

Thanks for that. It’s always nice to get support.:thumbsup:

If you want to help, I do actually need quite a lot of prop graphics.
Spoiler :
Forest tundra – Cars
Pine Forest planes – NW/SE doors
Pine Forest tundra – Cars
LM Hills – Small living room and bedroom furniture
Jungle Hills – Shop Stuff
Forest Hills – Vent and Ducting
Mountains – Large living room and bedroom furniture
LM Mountains – Bathroom fittings
Snow-capped Mountains – Kitchen Furniture
Jungle Mountains – Alt tile kitchen Furniture
Forest Mountains – Satellite Dishes, Air Conditioners Solar Panels
Volcano – Shop wall Shelves
Jungle Volcano – Shop Furnishings
Forest Volcano – Roof stuff
Craters – Dead bodies and evidence of violence
Irrigation (Desert + Flood Plain) – Furniture
Irrigation (Tundra) – Refuse
Pollution – Grasses and overgrowth

Any one of these would be helpful.

Feel free to repurpose anything you want. I’d like to see what someone else can do with this approach.

@Takhisis
I’ve never played Battle of Wesnoth but this I how I’d set the mood.

An unending torrent of zombies will make sure that you spend as little time as possible in the open air. You’re supposed to panic around near your camp with a popgun and s***ty stick looking for a safer way to feed your people and pay for better equipment. Throughout the map, you’ll find supplies, valuables and weapons; and might even recruit an ally or two.
If you survive, you’ll become able to access new shops and establish safehouses. Your numbers are thinned by guarding each site, tending to their crops and transporting them to your main camp.
As you develop, you’ll come into contact with other colonies. You might make friends if you’re lucky but this is a zombie game.

There's a lot of city graphics in the Escape from Zombie Island scenario(s) which could come in handy, at least as placeholders until you can get/make others. Ask Vuldacon.
@Takhisis
I’ve never played Battle of Wesnoth but this I how I’d set the mood.

An unending torrent of zombies will make sure that you spend as little time as possible in the open air. You’re supposed to panic around near your camp with a popgun and s***ty stick looking for a safer way to feed your people and pay for better equipment. Throughout the map, you’ll find supplies, valuables and weapons; and might even recruit an ally or two.
If you survive, you’ll become able to access new shops and establish safehouses. Your numbers are thinned by guarding each site, tending to their crops and transporting them to your main camp.
As you develop, you’ll come into contact with other colonies. You might make friends if you’re lucky but this is a zombie game.
I always recommend The Battle for Wesnoth in general, but in particular I'll recommend the Mountain Witch campaign, a highly unorthodox one (for BfW, that is) which might prove inspirational (as well as distractingly fun in quarantine times). I game-tested it last year.

I am well thanks, and I hope you are too!

I'll see what I can do! Though I'm wary of making any promises as I'm frankly terrible at keeping to them and never finish anything I start :/

Still, that sounds like the kind of graphics work I could handle!

Keep up the amazing work!

Or play EFZI.
Or play Blood, which still runs perfectly in my WinXP partition where I also run Civ3. :cool:

btw I live in Argentinistan where we've been under shutdown for ~6 months. So essentially my life is a Zombie survival film with everything closed and people in facemasks.

Hi, Takhisis

Sorry for the late response. I didn’t realise how long I’ve been away for.

There are a number of things that I wanted to do before I released an update for Z-Ops. Unfortunately, I’ve not had much time for civ and civfanatics lately.

This is a demo of what I have so far but I’ve not edited anything in over a year. That said, there are a number of features here I’m quite proud of.
Download Folder
Download .BIQ

These are game notes to show where the mod is going.
Download Notes

Last edited:
Top Bottom