[R&F] Zulu First Look

It should be noted that, in general, Aztec is a good comparison for Zulu in this game. Both of them have the potential to rack up massive combat strength bonuses as the game goes on. The difference being that the Zulu can get those static combat bonuses early whereas the Aztec requires a little more empire maintenance to support the ability to get large combat bonuses (though grabbing free builders through Eagle Warriors is a great start to that end)

Boring civ. Beautiful music.

The real question, though, is will Shaka come throw his lion helmet at me every few turns for not declaring war on everyone? :rolleyes: (Joy. I just needed three leaders complaining I'm not at war. :p )

No. Instead he will be complaining that your military doesn't contain a sufficient number of corps and armies.

No. Instead he will be complaining that your military doesn't contain a sufficient number of corps and armies.
Ah. Same thing. I don't do either. :p

Conquering a city with a unit will upgrade it into a Corps or Army, if the proper Civics are unlocked.

Wait, what? Does that include city states? Can you repeatedly conquer the same city to generate armies (Loyalty flip!)?

I mean, ok, these abilities come late & warmongering is important early on. The only early advantage are the half cost encampments. But still, this is just one more example of the highly unbalanced traits of civ VI.

Sorry that I missed most of this discussion, but the music is excellent.

Fantastic civ. Firaxis certainly saved the best for last. Always enjoyed the power creep from the Impi swarm in Civ V and it looks like that theme will continue here in Civ VI.

Wait, what? Does that include city states? Can you repeatedly conquer the same city to generate armies (Loyalty flip!)?

I mean, ok, these abilities come late & warmongering is important early on. The only early advantage are the half cost encampments. But still, this is just one more example of the highly unbalanced traits of civ VI.

If they're all unbalanced equally but in different ways then it isn't a problem. Better that than numbers civs that are only marginally different from each other.

Their music sounds good! :)

I also like their design. Looks like the Zulu will be one of the first Civ I'll play as!

Why? You like dominating other Civs? :p You're a genocidal player....:lol:

I hate the colors (why green? why not reuse the Civ5 colors?), the music is too Westernized (Lion King type music), Shaka will always hate me in-game (I never bother to form Corps and Armies, and I can still destroy the AI's Corps and Armies easily). This is a Civ I will try to do one domination game in and never play again. Sorry, I'm a pacifist at heart. :p

Oh, and his voice actor is worst than his Civ5 one. He sounds too friendly.

And the Zulus better not be the last Sub-Saharan African Civ, Firaxis. :nono: At least give us Ethiopia and Mali later.

Last edited:
I wish my old drawing tablet didn’t become obsolete with new Windows versions. I am soooo tempted to draw Gilgabro, Chandi, Hojo, Alex, Lautaro, and Shaka in a Men’s Health style, with mediocre, PCorrectness-slammed female leaders standing aside and drooling in unison.

I was so excited at the beginning of the video that I didn't notice that numbers for the "faster corp creation" were shown in the video. 83 hammer base with 125 for a corp.

That's... weird. That's a 150% production hammer modifier, but that's already the way it is now. Producing a corp or army from the production queue has always been 150%/225% base production cost (as long as you had the 3rd level buildings first). So corp creation isn't faster at all, it's just "sooner."

If they're all unbalanced equally but in different ways then it isn't a problem. Better that than numbers civs that are only marginally different from each other.

:huh:

Surely if something is unbalanced equally, that means it is balanced?

:mischief:

I get your points, but obviously, Zulus can be rushed by Scythia in a certain time window & when they miss that time window, they can be rushed by Zulus. Australia can get 100% production continuously, if your little brother continuously declares war on you in multiplayer. Persia players can get movement bonuses against you by declaring random wars on AIs on the other side of the world. The list of civs we need to ban in multiplayer grows longer & longer.

But yes, most of the civs are "equally unbalanced" :)

The music of Civ VI - and, especially, some of the themes of R&F civs

I actually prefer much Civ5 music over Civ6 music, the exception being the R & F civs which seem to have outstanding music. One of the highlights of this expansion.

The civ itself I'm impressed with. I still plan on playing Mongols first, but it's not going to be easy going up against the Zulu.

His face looks familiar, reminds me of an American actor. Perhaps his face looks too American (African American obviously)?

Nobody has mentioned this but the zulus have very few early game bonuses.

The UU is medieval, the ability to form corps/armies (part of the UB and UA, and everything to do with the LUA) unlocks with mercenaries. The only thing you get before is half price encampments and +3 loyalty for garrisons. I think that will make them a relatively slow start civ. However, once you get Mercenaries, everything will really start going your way. Your unit conquers a city? Boom, +15 combat strength always, against everyone, for the entire game. Can't really see how anyone could compete with that. Impis are good, but with 1UPT there's limited use for 10 Impi corps. I'd rather have 5 Knight corps.

Tactic: Get to mercenaries and knights as fast as possible, building encampments along the way to get some classical/medieval great general. Have a moderate force of chariots ready to upgrade to knights ASAP. After that pick up Impi to increase the size of your army to conquer even faster and keep the loyalty up.

Might be a fun civ to play once, but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of variety here... Let's just be thankful he doesn't have a +X for 10 turns after declaring war with Y casus belli UA.

Top Bottom