Ask a Mormon, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there a basketball court in almost every Latter-Day Saint church in N. America?

Well, because it is part of the already existing "cultural hall", which is a multipurpose room (used for large classes, social events, even wedding receptions, such as mine). Given the existence of a large space, and the general popularity of basketball in these parts, adding a pair of hoops and lines on the floor is worth the effort.

The Baptist Church that my wife and I attend also has a court set up in the Church. I see it as a smart way of using the available space. Plus, it shows that the Church (any denomination) has a desire to reach out to the youth.

I'm curious, what is the Mormon's response to Freemasonry? Does the Church have a problem with one of its members being a Freemason?

Freemasons, ya cant escape them :run:. Ok, play times over.

Does the Mormon church care about both married and single individuals, or do they only care about married individuals? I've seen, though from my own old church, that they place more emphasis on married individuals while lacking any support for single individuals.

Depends what you mean. There is a large emphasis on marriage, and in many congregations singles can feel as though they are less important; the church itself tries to fight this tendency in various ways, and of course in some places there is no real difference at all.

Well, in the church that I used to go, I (as a single person) felt that I was less important. Not to mention there wernt any singles groups for the congregations. Then again, I went to a Catholic parish.

It apparently does feel that way for some people sometimes - so I hear.

In fact, the singles congregations are for ages 18-30 - but they just started a new "experimental" ward in my area for older singles, the second in the church.

Is there some kind of requirement for Mormons to keep lots of emergency supplies on hand? Like flashlights and beans and stuff? Or is that total nonsense?

How does the church feel about dating and marrying outside of the church? Discouraged, an opportunity for converts?

How does the church feel about dating and marrying outside of the church? Discouraged, an opportunity for converts?

Dating outside the church is going to be a fact of life for most folks living outside the Mormon corridor. I have been on a grand total of one date with a Mormon girl in my life, and my current GF of over a year isn't a member (she's an ambiguous Christian).

Mormons believe that only marriages in a Temple last for time and all eternity, so marrying a non-mormon would be "null" after you die, according to LDS tradition, unless there is a proxy sealing. Full blessings in the hereafter require temple marraiges, so marrying another member is really encouraged.

there is also some cultural bias against marrying nonmembers...something that my gf has really struggled with.

What if the non-Mormon whom marries a Morman coverts to Mormonism?

Is there some kind of requirement for Mormons to keep lots of emergency supplies on hand? Like flashlights and beans and stuff? Or is that total nonsense?

It is . . . strongly encouraged, to have both a 3 day emergency supply and a year's supply of food. It is not a requirement per se.

What DT said. Although I haven't found it that hard to date, despite being outside the West (I never dated much anyways, and as it happens there is probably a higehr concentration of single Mormons in the DC area than anywhere in the US east of the Mississippi).

What if the non-Mormon whom marries a Morman coverts to Mormonism?

Well, this happens in a certain number of cases (in fact, part-member families - whether from a Mormon marrying a non-Mormon, or from someone who converted to Mormonism after marriage, but whose spouse did not immediately follow, are one of the biggest sources of converts) but it is by no means guaranteed to happen. In fact, the Mormon spouse is just as likely to leave the Church (or at least stop going) as the other spouse is to convert. When the spouse converting does happen, of course, people are usually happy about it.

It is . . . strongly encouraged, to have both a 3 day emergency supply and a year's supply of food. It is not a requirement per se.

How do they manage to keep and maintain a year's supply of food? I'd take it they'd be ready for anything, including a Nuclear Apocalypse (hope it doesn't happen :scared: ). I'd heard about Mormons stockpiling food and supplies though never payed attention to that aspect. Mostly when it comes to stockpiling food and supplies, I think of the Civil Defense, Bomb/Fallout Shelters of the Cold War era in general, not the Mormons :crazyeye:.

What DT said. Although I haven't found it that hard to date, despite being outside the West (I never dated much anyways, and as it happens there is probably a higehr concentration of single Mormons in the DC area than anywhere in the US east of the Mississippi).
Hmm, so that explains why I don't see any Mormons, especially the missionaries on there mission happening in New England.

Well, this happens in a certain number of cases (in fact, part-member families - whether from a Mormon marrying a non-Mormon, or from someone who converted to Mormonism after marriage, but whose spouse did not immediately follow, are one of the biggest sources of converts) but it is by no means guaranteed to happen. In fact, the Mormon spouse is just as likely to leave the Church (or at least stop going) as the other spouse is to convert. When the spouse converting does happen, of course, people are usually happy about it.

Would the couple have to do the whole marriage ceremony again? I'd thought the Catholic Church had more confusing rules and procedures, no offense :crazyeye:.

So Mormons have that survivor mentality (At least not the kind of the crazies from the militia groups). How do they manage to keep and maintain a year's supply of food? I'd take it they'd be ready for anything, including a Nuclear Apocalypse (hope it doesn't happen :scared: )

We are not particularly survivalist as such, just prepared for natural disasters and emergencies and the like - and, of course, the calamaties before the Second Coming . . . although this is not something we generally worry about, just prepare for.

And it doesn't take up a huge amount of space if you know what you are doing.

Hmm, so that explains why I don't see any Mormons, especially the missionaries on there mission happening in New England.

The northeast probably has the lowest percentage of Mormons anywhere in the US (ironic, the Church got started there) but everywhere I have been I have seen missionaries. Of course, you have probably seen regular members all the time, just didn't recognize them as such.

Would the couple have to do the whole marriage ceremony again? I'd thought the Catholic Church had more confusing rules and procedures, no offense :crazyeye:.

Not the marriage ceremony itself, which would still be valid, but they would have to be sealed in a temple separately (when both prospective spouses are members they can do the marriage ceremony and the sealing together in the temple, like I did, but if not they can be sealed later).

I'm in Connecticut like you. I've met Mormons here and worked with them. A man I used to know liked to recruit them to come work up here. And there's at least a few celebrities of Mormon families that come from the area.

Honestly, I probably know less about that than any other particular area of doctrine, so someone else will have to chime in. I do know that we believe Christ is coming back soon (relative to all of human history so far, "soon") but we don't believe in the Rapture per se.

Just a quick note to say that it's nice to see such openess from the Mormon posters and (in the main) a good deal of courtesy from those asking questions, some quite searching.

A very interesting thread. Keep up the good work and the plain, old-fashioned good manners.

I shall continue to lurk.

Well, what sort of things will you need the supplies for when he comes back?

It's the calamaties that will precede it that require having access to emergency supplies.

And as I said, we don't usually place a lot of focus on that aspect of a year's supply - it has value regardless. But we know it's there.

Just a quick note to say that it's nice to see such openess from the Mormon posters and (in the main) a good deal of courtesy from those asking questions, some quite searching.

A very interesting thread. Keep up the good work and the plain, old-fashioned good manners.

I shall continue to lurk.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom