Snakes & Foxes 3: The ****oo's Nest (Game Thread)

It was a trend to bet on the druid, it is now no longer in... Change my bet to the knight

(OOC: And ... there go my odds. I wish I knew what you all were doing.)

50 gold on the druid

{ OOC: Sorry Berserker, the deadline passed 15 minutes ago. Update will be up shortly. }

Morning, Day 4

The clouds fully moved in, now holding a vigil for the fallen clown. The moon came out suddenly, rudely interrupting the sacred moment. Unapologetic, she had gotten bigger and brighter since her last walk around the block and dared the clouds to stop her. One naive, young, but mostly brash cloud did and he was scattered mercilessly by the rays of light. Oblivious to the gruesome murder happening right above their noses, some elements of the crowd struck up a party-in-a-party. The Bannor spokesman by now had decided to go home, thoroughly exhausted, having completely forgotten what he had come here to do. "I’d love to watch this battle," he said, "But I really must go." He pivoted to leave when he gracefully fell flat on his face, his feet having tripped over a rope. The thieves descended like vultures and stole his belongings, including the sealed note, who went along for the ride...

The Druid, who had received choice, took the arena first. His white robes shimmered like a rainbow, which was actually impossible because they were white, so it was anybody’s guess how he made that happen (smart money was on magic, of course!). He looked, as always, impeccable, although maybe a bit loony because of his eyes, which glared out at the world like two little beads on a face of a slightly over-conscious hippy who lives in People’s Mark and regularly accosts people to inform them of the ecological damage they have done in driving a gas-guzzling car and of all the animals they’ve killed merely for the pleasure of eating, not even hoping that you’d notice his leather boots because it’d simply escaped his mind. The Druid’s staff was far simpler - it was a stick, basically, but thicker and also more magical.

The Knight took the stage next. "I liked the Paladin more, get off the stage," came a call from the crowd. Undeterred, he took his minute. Clad in black armor to blend in during the night, he thought about how lucky it was that he got to fight during the night. He was in his element. His sword, still in its scabbard, still looked positively evil, and his weapon and his shield together made a double dose of obsidian. The druid was going to find out that they were just as sharp.

A bell chimed, and the contestants found themselves in a little clearing in a big forest. Pretty stereotypical, actually.

"Welcome to my home. The Enchanted Forest of Henge." Actually, he was lying, because they weren’t really fighting in the forest because it would be ecologically disturbing and the Druid would have none of that. No, it was rather a representation of the forest crafted from the memories in the Druid’s head. If you find this ruins the magic of the experience, though, then don’t read this paragraph.

The Knight made no comment. What was with talkative opponents being paired with silent ones? It’s not cool to fail to respond to pleasant conversations, for future reference. If you were from where I’m from - the court of Versailles - then you’d be dead in the water, my friend.

The righteous cavalier unsheathed his sword and it glowed with anti-light. This isn’t merely the absence of a luster; rather, it was the opposite of a luster. It sucked light into it, if that made sense, which it has to because that is what it looked like. He walked, slowly, warily, towards the Druid. Nature’s son did the same, but the Knight kept his opponent at about a sword’s distance away and the Druid kept his at a staff’s distance away. Suddenly, the Druid darted forward, catching the Knight, who was ostensibly paying attention, off guard. He brought his sword in to block, but he was too slow - the Druid had slipped past. Here was the hand, heading towards his face...and he merely touched it. Of course, if the Knight had been paying more attention, he would have noticed a suspicious green tinge on the tips of his opponent’s fingers. Of course, he found out firsthand what the tinge was as his knees suddenly buckled out from under him.

"Dishonorable...scum." he choked out, and blood flew out of his mouth as he spoke. While he was on his way down to say hello to the bugs on the floor, he slashed with his sword sideways, neatly catching the druid, who couldn’t step back in time. The blood flew from the incision and splattered along the ground, making either an image of a giraffe or a butterfly on the foliage - the crowd couldn’t decide. The Druid spun a little bit after receiving the blow but recovered, making a pretty pirouette before composing himself again. The Knight, on his part, was breathing heavier but looked unscathed.

The druid chanted a deep song, to the very woods itself, and crawling out came a swarm of bees, all glaring with murderous intent. The druid explained to them that the Knight after there had stolen their honey; they replied that they had just seen it and would have received a message if something were wrong by now due to the bees’ technologically advanced communications system. The Druid replied that he would pay them in flowers for work, and after some negotiation the bees were ready to attack the cavalier. They buzzed towards him, and the Knight discovered how hard it was to hit a swarm with a sword. His slashes cut right through without inflicting much serious damage. Most of the bees bounced innocuously off of his armor, although a few managed to slip through and sting him before dying, despite his best efforts to shield himself. He had barely managed to get rid of the bees before he was able to turn his eyes back to the Druid, who had been preparing a nasty thunderbolt. He let it loose now, just to keep the Knight unbalanced, and he jumped out of the law. The bolt shot past him but made a sharp curve and zapped his armor, causing him to jerk about and move his arms like the wacky inflatable flailing arm men. He sizzled on the ground, and the Druid gave him no time to recover - another lightning bolt, although weaker, was quickly thrown.

The Knight drew from his reserves of energy and hurriedly tossed his sword to one side. The bolt arced towards the sword and hit it, and the Knight got up, picked his shield up, ran toward the Druid, bent his knees and brought his shield down, and stood up and smashed the Druid, all in one smooth motion. The Druid reeled back, and the Knight brought his shield back down on the Druid, then struck a blow sideways, this last blow causing the Druid to drop his staff. The Druid’s thick skull was heard to crack as the rest of his body took a beating. Not finished yet, the Knight held his shield in front of him like he was going to block something and ran forward, catching the barely standing Druid in his momentum until he was running, pushing the Druid out of the clearing. The Druid tried in vain to blind his attacker, but his reach was inferior. Arms flailing, the Druid was ran into a tree. The hit knocked what was left of the wind inside the Druid and he slumped to the ground.

The Knight stepped back to survey the damage. Suddenly, the branches descended and entangled the Knight in their grasp. His arms constricted, he dropped the shield, where it hit the ground with a thump of finality. He squirmed, trying to kick or claw his way free, but he could hardly move. A root from the tree burst through the ground and impaled the Knight. He kicked and struggled after his demise reflexively and then movement stopped. The bell chimed, and they were back to normality. Attendants scurried to take the Knight off while one helped the Druid off the stage amid cheering and applause.

Spoiler :
The Knight was Innocent!

The Knight was worth 135 gold. One third, 45 gold, will be given as spoils to the Druid. The remainder is split among the four survivors of The Mighty Manly Motley Mateys, 22 gold each.

Gold and points won and lost from betting:
Spoiler :
Final odds for Druid to win: 0.84:1

The following contestants have won gold and points from betting:
Runekeeper +41 gold, +141 points
Paladin +7 gold, +107 points
Sculptor +16 gold, +116 points
Overlord Speaker +83 gold, +183 points
Illusionist +50 gold, +150 points
Firebow +83 gold, +183 points
Shaman +49 gold, +149 points
Raider +41 gold, +141 points
Arquebusier +125 gold, +225 points
Minotaur +41 gold, +141 points
Marksman +41 gold, +141 points
Lizardman +0 gold, +100 points

The following contestants have won points from voting the Knight into battle:
1st voter: Harlequin, +200 points
2nd voter: Shaman, +100 points

The following contestants have lost gold from betting:
Pirate -1 gold
Assassin -40 gold
Prior -50 gold
Satyr -25 gold
Beastmaster -50 gold
Brujah -25 gold
Luonnotar -50 gold
Eidolon -100 gold
Ghost -75 gold
Luridus -100 gold
Archmage -50 gold
Ogre -20 gold

The schedule official rushed in with another important parchment, cleared his voice, and read:

"It is my distinct pleasure to announce that the Marks have chosen the Luonnotar to face the Mercenary in an arena of his choice."

The crowd erupted in a vivid murmur, that decided to follow the contestants over to the counter where they could pick up this new day's allotment of 50 gold.

Evening fight: Mercenary vs Luonnotar, Luonnotar gets arena choice.

It is now day.
All contenstants, vote for combatants for the next morning's fight.
People with day abilities, send me PMs.

Betting is open for Mercenary vs Luonnotar. Place your bets in bold dark orange.

He walked, slowly, warily, towards the Druid. Nature’s son did the same

The Druid spun a little bit after receiving the bow but recovered

{OOC: I saw you catched the Minotaur-typo yourself, but I noticed these two aswell, the first sentance implies that the druid follows himself, the other is meant to be blow, I believe.

Oh, and nice update! Close fight, this time!}

Only a fool comes unprepeared to the arena, Dragonslayer and Frost speaker have both been noteworthy with their absence from the action.

I really didn't expect that! Hurray for catching a mark! This means that more than likely there are two group of marks. Diamondeye didn't seem to happy about getting chosen against this opponent, certainly not something he would have picked himself.

Of course, there is another explanation: the marks are choosing themselves to battle, in order to establish their innocence. It failed with the harlequin, but who's to say it didn't work with the Archmage. Excellent piece of deflection, that.

And, as I would like the marks to lose, and I think the archmage cannot beat him, he shall fight the Marksman

The Minotaur is pleased at winning a bit of gold and laughs at those who changed their bets at the last moment. He feels that the Engineer and Courtesan should fight, as he can not imagine them fighting, he hopes others will follow him.

Of course, there is another explanation: the marks are choosing themselves to battle, in order to establish their innocence. It failed with the harlequin, but who's to say it didn't work with the Archmage. Excellent piece of deflection, that.

And, as I would like the marks to lose, and I think the archmage cannot beat him, he shall fight the Marksman

The harlequin told not just me that he probably wasn't a favourite in his battle. If you heard me yelling at ronin day one for getting in the ring you be quite curious why i would then chose myself for battle. You don't gain anything from getting in a battle that early. I am not saying it washes me clean by any means, there are two groups of marks after all, but that only someone really stupid would chose themselves for battle and i am not stupid.

Yes!! At last!!

Anyway, battle of the mages time I think - Archmage vs illusionist

OOC:Why do I always die on my first fight in Snakes and Foxes? Royal Guard in the original, Zweihander in the second, and now knight! Maybe I should choose a ranged character next time...

OOC:Why do I always die on my first fight in Snakes and Foxes? Royal Guard in the original, Zweihander in the second, and now knight! Maybe I should choose a ranged character next time...

Pretty obvious that you die when you fight with no items... You can't say you wasn't expecting to not die from this fight... And please don't ghost post.

I'd like to see The Firebow and The Ranger turn each other into pincushions.

Top Bottom