RR6 - I am Legend

To say the truth I wasn't expecting to finish the game, but we were closer to win than I expected ...

First, and specially to thy: So, rammy would take a while to finish thew sec Bureau, right ?
Spoiler :

Not really, but again he was churning 65 hammers/turn....
Spoiler :

Anyway, more spread of culture and Sec Bureau build sabotage ... only the game to make me feel happier ... or not:
Spoiler :

:culture: It's raining sand, aleluia ... It's raining sand...:culture: :gripe:

BTW Boudi ended the game as Pope :D
Spoiler :

And we got our last GP of the game, a ( surprise, surprise ) GSpy. It barely managed to get to the action area in time...
Spoiler :

... because we hitted legendary status in all cities in that same turn, a little sooner than I was expecting:
Spoiler :

No time to lose, I guess:
Spoiler :

And due to the lack of enough tanks :D ( really the guy that decided that tanks should spend more movement attacking hills then a flat tile should be hanged ;) ), this had to stay to next turn:
Spoiler :

...that ,by some unknown reason to me entered in anarchy, unlike the other two :gripe: This alone eaten 2 turns of our win. BTW, there is something fishy regarding lost of buildings in here: some disapeard as in a normal capture ( like libs and univs ), some stayed , but without producing culture ( wonders mainly ) and, the oddest of all, some stayed there producing culture ( castles ). A kind soul with code knowledge could be a nice guy and explain this to, me , but I smell rat ...

Back to the show, given that I had no further business with Ramesses, I decided to cap him:
Spoiler :

I enternained the idea of playing cat and mouse a little bit more, but there was no need...

The rest of the game was mainly wait for the pop up...
Spoiler :

I'm not much of showing end screens ( c'mon, there is no need of shoving a AC score all over again ), but i guess this is the first culture win I've seen with this culture chart:
Spoiler :

Autosave of the winning turn below.

Well, now that we finally finished this, I guess that I have to agree with Tatran that this game was longer than I was antecipating. This had something to do with some of our decisions ( letting boudi pass to war ramesses was a bad slip ), but again this game had a very adverse diplo enviroment for this variant: our target had became the resident punching bag of the game and a very agressive AI took the lead of the game both in military and in diplo terms with little that we could do about it without a no-compromise war, that would most likely divert us from the variant. The culture spread part, besides the annoying tendency for the AI to rebuild Sec bureaus one after the other, went pretty smoothly and we only lost 150 spies in the process ( roughly 6000 hammers ). This probably makes this win a little more expensive than it looked at first sight, but probably is far less expensive than the other late cultural wins , and we had no necessity of trading military security for the win ( we could had done that if we wished ) given that we had military parity with the only AI that could had made our game go haywire...

In resume? Well, it could had been done better ,most surely :D But, in spite of not being the easiest possible scenario for this, we managed to take this rabbit out of the hat....

Now, on RR7 ... How about:

Code:
-Tokugawa of Japan

-Must found Sushi

-Must have all the Sushi resources inside our cultural borders in the turn of the win.

-Must have Sushi spreaded in atleast one city of every civ in game in the turn of win

-All the civs that start the game or that are spawned during it must be alive in the end of the game

-The game must be won by domination

? :D

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1939.CivBeyondSwordSave
    408.1 KB · Views: 83
Neat! Nice game, nice finish. :goodjob: It surely is one of the most curious ways I've seen a game be won...

RR7 sounds interesting enough to me! I guess with Toku, Sushi and domination in mind, abundant use of the :splat: smily should be encouraged... :)

:splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat:

Congraz on the unique win!

^ About buildings lost when capturing, if you are the dominant culture the capturing is considered a "recapture" (regardless of if it's actually a recapture) which means no population is lost and no buildings are destroyed. Including national wonders (that are not present in another city of yours), military buildings and buildings producing culture. Now, obviously if this happens it shouldn't trigger anarchy either so honestly I have no idea what happened. The castle business may have to do with obsoletion.

Bestsss is probably going to drop by with oodles of C++ soon because I'm too lazy to do that all the time though :p

EDIT: Apparently buildings have a "neverCapture" flag set to true or false, and a "conquestProb" stating the probability that a building survives conquest. Univs and Libraries both have "neverCapture" set to true, so they never survive even a recapture. Castles only have "conquestProb" set to 0% but "neverCapture" as false and the former is not checked during a recapture, so it survives. Beats me why they made that so damn complicated.

Also apparently the city was in a "silent revolt" sort of since you only recently acquired dominant culture there, as opposed to the other cities in which you had dominant culture for a while. If you had captured Thebes a bit later it wouldn't (shouldn't) have had revolt time either. This I didn't check 101% so my normal DISCLAIMER is in force :)

@Thy

I'm thinking Monarch as well... IMHO ( atleast for me, that usually play in levels higher than monarch ) , monarch is a good level to test things out ( I guess half of the team would isagree with me on that, but even the people that play normally in monarch in the team had behaved well in spite of being faced with unorthodox situations :goodjob: )

@ Silu

Given what bestss pointed in a thread in the Strategy and tips forum a while ago I was expecting that all the culture buildings would survive, hence my perplexity to see some going to the drain, some surviving without producing culture and some ( that, to boot are military as well ,and because of that should never survive in a normal capture ) surviving and producing culture. I was expecting to see stuff like the Hermitage surviving ( as it did ) , but this three folded behavior is a little crazy :D

On the revolt: your explanation is not true , given that in my tests I was able to capture a city in the turn it became legendary without anarchy. My guess is that the Egyptian culture points in Thebes tile ( that , by definition , were the highest in all the map given that it was the capital tile ) had some influence in that....

^ Well there's nothing weird in world wonders only producing culture for the Civ that built them. That's how it always is in all situations AFAIK :p

I checked the code for the city acquirement for my previous post (as I also did in that thread you were probably referring to), and those buildings that have neverCapture=true will never survive any kind of capturing or recapturing (never came up in that thread since that was mainly about national wonders, no1 noticed universities and libraries missing I guess). There's 32 buildings like these. 57 buildings have conquestProb = 0 so assuming max overlap that means 25 buildings that normally never survive capturing can survive a recapture :) EDIT: I looked them up; Public Transportation, Odeon, Walls, Dun, Castle, Citadel, Barracks, Ikhanda, Stables, Ger, Airport and all the national wonders. Why the first two you ask? Beats the hell out of me...

Well I actually checked the occupation thingy this time around, you need to have at least 75% (OCCUPATION_CULTURE_PERCENT_THRESHOLD) culture to skip the occupation period. Namely the amount of occupation turns (if they trigger) is ((3 + ((POP * 50) / 100)) * (100 - CULTURE%)) / 100. Should add up to more than 2 here (4 if I got it right) but there might be more modifications to the occupation timer that I missed (unless the number was -2 before?! Nothing would surprise me anymore...). Anyway, the threshold issue should clear up why it popped up in the first place :p

Spoiler :

if (bConquest)

{

iTeamCulturePercent = pNewCity->calculateTeamCulturePercent(getTeam());

if (iTeamCulturePercent < GC.getDefineINT("OCCUPATION_CULTURE_PERCENT_THRESHOLD"))

{

pNewCity->changeOccupationTimer(((GC.getDefineINT("BASE_OCCUPATION_TURNS") + ((pNewCity->getPopulation() * GC.getDefineINT("OCCUPATION_TURNS_POPULATION_PERCENT")) / 100)) * (100 - iTeamCulturePercent)) / 100);

}

GC.getMapINLINE().verifyUnitValidPlot();

}

Wait ... none of the cities had more than 75% from our culture at the time of capture ( see screenies ) .. or are talking of city culture ( theirs and ours ) and not plot culture ( the one that is displayed in the city screen? :confused:

Gee I simply hate the way Civ IV handles culture ;)

And about military stuff? As far as I could tell, those are mostly capturable if you have a culture majority there, even if they produce culture ( as it happened here ... all the military stuff ramesses had survived )

P.S To end, not all the culture buildings that survived stopped producing culture. Castles still were producing culture ;) For heavens sake, couldn't they had done this a little bit more coherent ? :D

See my edit above about military buildings, most of them are in the short list of buildings that can only survive a recapture, not a normal capture. Drydocks can always survive capture at 66% odds so they're not included.

World wonders really only produce culture for the Civ that built them, for obvious reasons. All other culture buildings (including national wonders) that somehow survive capturing/city ownership change continue producing culture as normal. It's quite coherent as far as I can tell :)

^ Both of the above points were coherent across all the 3 captured cities. Univs etc destroyed, nat wonders stay and produce culture etc. All as expected.

I didn't see screenies about the other 2 but checked the save, and yeah both seem to be under 75% :p I'm assuming the reason they didn't get occupation is the same why Thebes only got 2 turns instead of 4 (which was indicated by the formula in the code). This seems to be the only missing link in my explanation, I'll post if I 1) look for the answer 2) find it :)

Thank you, guys, for a well played and entertaining SG! Am anticipating lurking RR7, can't wait to see you guys pull off another interesting variant.
:splat: :splat: :splat:

^ The population of the other two is so tiny that that alone can remove the whole occupation period. Namely a size1 city only needs 66% (or 66.67%? 67%? not completely sure :D) to avoid occupation due to rounding down happening in the formula. If they were starved totally then they probably were size1 when captured?

Still no idea about the length in Thebes, though :p

You can see the screenies post capture in the report above. Memphis had 2 pop in the time of capture ( 66% culture ), Pi-Ramesses 3 ( 71% ) and Thebes 13 ( 52% ). Probably the low pop of the first two made the trick indeed...

Wahoo - another win recorded...

BTW, there is something fishy regarding lost of buildings in here: some disapeard as in a normal capture ( like libs and univs ), some stayed , but without producing culture ( wonders mainly ) and, the oddest of all, some stayed there producing culture ( castles ).
Nevermind, I was wrong. Can't even begin to guess.

Well done though. I followed this earlier, but hadn't checked it in awhile until I saw the start for RR7 just now. Glad to see it worked out.

Ok I'm not sure if i missed it somewhere in the 18 pages, but I believe I have a way to figure out how much :culture: you have in a city that you don't own.

When you do the spread culture to the city it adds 5% of the total amount of culture to the city. So let's say that spread culture would add 50:culture: then 50/.05 = 1000. So the city would have a total of 1000:culture:.

Now if you investigate their city you can see how much :culture: they have. Let's say they have 550:culture:. All you would have to do is take the total :culture: and subtract how much they have to see how much you have :crazyeye:. If the total amount was 1000:culture:, you would subract 550:culture:. You would then know you have 450:culture: in that city.

Now this only works if you know you are the only one who has added culture to their city.

you can also see your own fraction of the culture in the city.
so, i guess the method is just like this:

-get the :culture: the city owner has
-get fractions of civs having :culture: there (percent) (owner's percentage and your's are interesting)

total :culture: = owner:culture: * 100% / ownerpercentage
your :culture: = owner:culture: * yourpercentage / ownerpercentage

(though, the percentages are rounded down, thus the values are not totally accurate)

Top Bottom