Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replying in the new thread

That's a more likely scenario, yes.

Numbers in France are climbing up again. Lockdown measures were easened last week Monday, and should further be lifted on the 15th if we reach the goal of 5.000 infections per day. The lowest it has been in this wave was last week 8.000, and it's going up again :/.
The Netherlands is rising too, and Germany stagnating.
I still need to check for my Christmas break if I need tests before or after or both I arrive in the Netherlands or back in France or both :/.

Persistence is certainly not something the european governments lack.

They persist in repeating the failed strategy of flipping between closing and opening stuff ever attempting a coherent effort to clear the virus. No lack of effort being put into this mismanagement of the thing!

subscription post . New Turkey is supposedly number 8 in world charts ... After making it explode for tourism business and never ending political rallies of the PM the official numbers were reportedly 550 000 , worldometer or whatever that site is called had a number of 800 + . And in a single day 800 000 or 1 200 000 "new" cases . Reportedly only because some vaccine group told them New Turkey's numbers were good and the free vaccine would go somewhere else . Or nobody wants Chinese one , so it is a scare tactic .

Australia cancelled its University of Queensland vaccine candidate, others are more advanced and apparently it was triggering false positive HIV test results, which while harmless, is not something they need to deal with when there's other more advanced candidates.

Also yeah, virus is seemingly gone in Australia. It's been 44 days since the last unknown source case, and the last couple of quarantine-leak cases were contained very quickly.

Australia cancelled its University of Queensland vaccine candidate, others are more advanced and apparently it was triggering false positive HIV test results, which while harmless, is not something they need to deal with when there's other more advanced candidates.

This is a rather obvious question that must have been asked and answered already: I wonder how useful might those HIV antibodies be? Can someone have stumbled in an even mildly useful vaccine against HIV? A method of inducing blocking antibodies good enough to reduce the likelihood of successful infection?
Work along that line has been ongoing for years, one of the troubles has been finding a good tarted to generate antibodies against... it would be beyond good if in the course of all this vaccine development somehow a solution was discovered.

Also yeah, virus is seemingly gone in Australia. It's been 44 days since the last unknown source case, and the last couple of quarantine-leak cases were contained very quickly.

Surely it can't be so. I keep being told by my government that we have to live with the virus, it's impossible to do anything but manage the "waves" until the saviour vaccine is applied.

Beware someday having Australia and a few other countries declared pariah states ruled by lying totalitarian governments who lie to their people and the world. It was the easy fix for the problem of Vietnam and China getting rid of the virus...

As it's being reported, it's just a false positive HIV reading returned in a basic test, which would be shown to be negative on a more comprehensive test. Not actual HIV antibodies or anything like that. They apparently used one of the proteins from HIV as a "molecular clamp".

Also yeah I'm enjoying all these experts in the Atlantic world implicitly declaring Australia to be not a "western" country in their pronouncements. Advocates of the Asian pivot would be pleased.

Last edited:
As it's being reported, it's just a false positive HIV reading returned in a basic test, which would be shown to be negative on a more comprehensive test. Not actual HIV antibodies or anything like that. They apparently used one of the proteins from HIV as a "molecular clamp".

Also yeah I'm enjoying all these experts in the Atlantic world implicitly declaring Australia to be not a "western" country in their pronouncements. Advocates of the Asian pivot would be pleased.

Heh Australia per capita is one of the richest real countries (excluding petro states/ microstates).

If you could pick your birthplace Aussie would be in my short list.

As for nothing to be done only thing I can think of is neo liberialism carried way to far.

Even though doing things properly is cheaper than other approaches.

That leaves inability to admit you screwed up.

New Wave this, pal! This is the one and only V-Rock!

(mandatory Vice City reference.bat activated)

Also, we formally passed the 40k death mark.

Infections in Japan are on the rise even though the government came out and said this 3-week period is “make-or-break.” So far, break has an astounding lead. Still not comparable to most Western countries, but I wonder what the actual break point is for the government here and if/when they’ll step in again.

The director of the Russian Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority:
To max the effect of the vaccin you should not drink alcohol starting two weeks before and stick with that with another six weeks
Not drinking for nearly two months, it can be quite a task for some people. Let alone for a stereotypical Russian who, if you are to believe Russian literature, wanders through life. Still, Anna Popova, the director of the Russian Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority, called on the population this week for a period of total abstinence. At least, those who have the Russian corona vaccine Sputnik V injected.

According to Popova, people who get vaccinated should stop drinking alcohol at least two weeks before getting the first of two injections and stick with it for another 42 days. This gives the body a better chance to build up immunity against Covid-19, according to the director.

On social media, the world was too small after Popova's statements. The developers of the vaccine posted an image on Twitter of actor Leonardo DiCaprio with a champagne glass in his hand. The text read "a glass of champagne a day doesn't hurt anyone, not even your immune system."

A resident of Moscow also summed up Russian alcoholism in a sobering way. “I drank in between the two injections as if there was no tomorrow. And the antibodies still come out of my ears. ”

https://www.trouw.nl/buitenland/twe...avaccin-dat-gaat-veel-russen-te-ver~b93a2e2f/

Yeah, it's been a matter of jokes that she asked Russians not to drink on New Year.
But as developer said, aside of usual negative effects of alcohol, it won't particularly reduce vaccine effectiveness.

AstraZeneca announced clinical trials of combined AZD1222+Sputnik V vaccine
Today we announce a clinical trial programme to assess safety and immunogenicity of combination of AZD1222, developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and Sputnik V, developed by Russian Gamaleya Research institute. It will begin enrolling adults aged 18 years and older.

Both AZD1222 and Sputnik V are adenoviral vector vaccines that contain genetic material of SARS-CoV-2 virus spike protein. The adenovirus itself is unable to replicate so it can only act as a carrier of genetic material.

Scientific collaboration with Gamaleya Research Institute is important to explore the potential of vaccine combinations unlocking synergies in protection and accessibility through a portfolio approach.
https://www.astrazeneca.ru/content/az-ru/media/news/2020/20201211-ru201.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom