Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PM of Eswatini just died of COVID, I think this is the second head of state or head of government to die from COVID after the president of Burundi in June.
And it was earlier said that Africa totally would(n't) be the hardest hit because reasons.

Germany has announced a further lockdown over the new year, including a ban on fireworks (first time ever, although there's always a debate if it should be allowed or not), due to still increasing numbers. This includes most non-food shops, so that's a major economic problem right before christmas.
The Netherlands is also considering harder measures. After the numbers have been dropping over November, since the beginning of December they're increasing again, having reached nearly the level of the second wave again.
Oh crap :/

Results of recent poll in Russia. On average, people seem quite indifferent and careless.

61% people are wary of being infected.
42% would like to take vaccine as soon as possible.
68% of those think it's important to know the vaccine manufacturer and where it was produced.

From those,
  • 51% would prefer Russian-made vaccine
  • 18% German made
  • 9% USA-made

Germany has announced a further lockdown over the new year, including a ban on fireworks (first time ever, although there's always a debate if it should be allowed or not), due to still increasing numbers. This includes most non-food shops, so that's a major economic problem right before christmas.
The Netherlands is also considering harder measures. After the numbers have been dropping over November, since the beginning of December they're increasing again, having reached nearly the level of the second wave again.
Oh crap :/

yes, we get today at 19.00 a statement from our PM (not the usual PM Covid press meeting with a statement followed by Q&A).
We have also this afternoon EDIT morning a full cabinet meeting on Covid (on top of the regular Sunday meetings of the PM with the RIVM and 2-3 relevant ministers) and at noon the political leaders of all political parties will have a meeting with the PM and cabinet.
Likely the non-essential shops will be closed (the first time since Covid started) and some more actions.

Situation is difficult to judge because although the strong decrease of reported confirmed cases stagnated a few weeks ago and now increases (that all at no changes of government restrictions), most of that increase is until 2 weeks ago not leading to a proportional higher amount of the total pool of infected people (estimates from the RIVM).
But hospital bed utiliation is increasing now also and we will still get the spike of Christmas and New Years eve with all the family travelling.
On top many Belgian people get their hair cut in NL and Germany is closing non-essential shop from Wednesday until January 10. Border Mayors are afraid of Germans shopping in NL, causing too much crowding in streets and shops.

So yeah, we get further restrictions and in an unusual serious-official fashion of "our PM to the nation".

Last edited:
BBC said:
Covid-19: Trump rejects plan for early vaccines at White House

US President Donald Trump says he has reversed a plan for White House officials to receive a coronavirus vaccine in the coming days.

Officials said senior members of the Trump administration would be among the first to get the Pfizer/BioNTech jab.

But Mr Trump later tweeted that people working at the White House "should receive the vaccine somewhat later... unless specifically necessary".

The US will begin its roll out of the vaccine on Monday.

The vaccine offers up to 95% protection against Covid-19.

The first three million doses are being distributed to dozens of locations in all 50 states across the US. The first shipment of those doses left a facility in Michigan on Sunday, with health workers and the elderly in line to receive the first shots.

News on Sunday that White House staff would be among the first to be vaccinated drew criticism on social media. It was not clear why Mr Trump decided to change the plans, or what effect it would have on the government's efforts to protect top officials.

Coronavirus deaths have been rising sharply since November in the US, with a world-record daily increase of 3,309 reported on Saturday.

The vaccine's rollout has been framed as a turning point in the coronavirus pandemic, which has taken the lives of almost 300,000 people in the US.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said its emergency-use authorisation of the vaccine, announced on Friday, was a "significant milestone" in the pandemic, after it came under intense pressure from the Trump administration to approve the jab.

Doses of the same vaccine are already being administered in the UK. The Pfizer vaccine has received regulatory approval in Canada, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia as well.

The beginning of the vaccination drive in the US comes as the Electoral College - the system which elects US presidents - is set to endorse Joe Biden's victory on Monday.

When will Trump receive the vaccine?
Officials told several media outlets on Sunday that some of the first vaccines would be reserved for those who work in close proximity to Mr Trump.

The vaccination plan, first reported by the New York Times, was confirmed by National Security Council (NSC) spokesman John Ullyot.

One aim of the programme was to build public confidence in the vaccine, he said.

"The American people should have confidence that they are receiving the same safe and effective vaccine as senior officials of the United States government on the advice of public health professionals and national security leadership," Mr Ullyot said.

But Mr Trump on Sunday suggested that top officials would now have to wait longer.

"People working in the White House should receive the vaccine somewhat later in the program, unless specifically necessary," he said in a tweet. "I have asked that this adjustment be made."

The US president, who contracted coronavirus in October and recovered after treatment in hospital, said he was not yet scheduled to take the vaccine but looked forward to doing so "at the appropriate time".

He has previously claimed to be "immune", even though medical experts say it is unclear whether people who have recovered from Covid-19 are protected from a second infection, and if so, how long this protection might last.

There have been a number of coronavirus outbreaks in the White House, with several senior staffers and officials testing positive for the disease.

The latest is Mr Trump's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, who revealed last week that he was being treated with the same drug cocktail as the president.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55298015

And it was earlier said that Africa totally would(n't) be the hardest hit because reasons.

I mean they do seem to be doing relatively better than the other 3 Atlantic continents, noting that they have about the same population as Europe and North America combined.

(Charts are daily deaths)

Screenshot_20201215-024315_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201215-024517_Chrome.jpg

Australia cancelled its University of Queensland vaccine candidate, others are more advanced and apparently it was triggering false positive HIV test results, which while harmless, is not something they need to deal with when there's other more advanced candidates.

Thanks for mentioning this, I'll further it to any number of people that tell me the medicinal industry are rushing development for personal gains indifferent of consequence.

Now, it is usually the par for the course of the medicinal industry, but I've yet to see a decision from any Western university or company that's remniscent of poor oversight.

I mean they do seem to be doing relatively better than the other 3 Atlantic continents, noting that they have about the same population as Europe and North America combined.

I wouldn't really trust any data coming from Africa.
It's likely that it's an issue with testing capacity, money, awareness, and various other things. I don't think you could even trust the excess death rate.

Can’t find the study atm, but covid IFR differences between jurisdictions can be like 90% attributed to demographic differences between countries (i.e. age), and covid-19 is relatively not all that dangerous to younger people, so the death rate in Africa is going to be at least an order of magnitude less than Europe/NA for a comparable case rate.

I wouldn't really trust any data coming from Africa.
It's likely that it's an issue with testing capacity, money, awareness, and various other things. I don't think you could even trust the excess death rate.

I'm not so sure about that, for obvious reasons of necessity and resourcing, they tend to have decent population health setups and surveillance, as a substitute for minimal hospital care. Crudely, they've been dealing with a lot more endemic disease with a lot less resources than many other countries.

That means while the hospitals may be inaccessible in many cases, there's still usually people on the ground who can do messaging and report information. And managing a pandemic is really less about healthcare than about information and public policy.

So I would be looking more at the prevalence of early isolation measures taken in many lower income countries, the relative youth of the continent, and experience with dealing with other diseases through those public health networks.

Last edited:
We have been getting under a hundred deaths per day for a few days now. The problem is that now actual contagion is rising fast, most probably as a consequence of the Maradona event, the similarly-organised victory parade for the second anniversary of River Plate's eternal victory over Boca Juniors from two years ago, and also that millions of imbeciles are just thinking ‘well I haven't caught it so far so why should I take care?’.

30% reduction in traffic during the period but only a smaller drop in road deaths in Australia. Cyclist deaths seem to have increased.

Screenshot_20201215-095138_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/...tch-pm-ruling-out-foreign-travel-until-march/ damn, no real travel to NL until including March.
Ruins my plans for my GFs birthday and for Valentine's day.

sorry to hear
and yes we have now a strict lockdown for 5 weeks, the link in your post listing it up.
The decision was made sunday based on this report: die nu ook op internet staat,
You can see that mobility is at high level despite the restrictions in place. All within the rules but not within the intentions.
Word is that closing the schools (childcare, primary and secundary) was also to force more parents to do home office working again like with the March peak.
Two flies with one stroke.
Reducing R with approx 10-15% for the schools and 10% for more home office.

I am still a bit sad about it, because it should not have been necessary.
Most people were ok-ish enough, but still too much social shopping, too much other activities with low social effect and high infection effect, and according to polling approx 8% simply ignoring everything.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/...tch-pm-ruling-out-foreign-travel-until-march/ damn, no real travel to NL until including March.
Ruins my plans for my GFs birthday and for Valentine's day.

The european countries are implementing, in a disjoint, incoherent and even nationally uncoordinated fashion, all the elements that would be required for a successful elimination of the virus. They are very much capable of getting rid of the virus, there is no lack of resources, skill or enough public willingness to comply with restrictions.
But because these efforts are not part of a well-planned strategy towards the goal of ending the pandemic, all this expense of resources and suffering is only serving to keep the death rate under some chosen level. It's so... infuriating! :mad:

Also same as @Arwon said on Africa and other places: they may lack resources but they know how top use those they have. Epidemics have long been a serious issue there. Unlike in Europe apparently...
Africa suffers from lack of resources and kleptocracy. Europe suffers from kakistocracy. In an emergency the latter can be worse.

Last edited:
I am still a bit sad about it, because it should not have been necessary.
Most people were ok-ish enough, but still too much social shopping, too much other activities with low social effect and high infection effect, and according to polling approx 8% simply ignoring everything.

The necessary thing to do is what NZ, China, Australia, Vietnam and the few others did, eliminating the virus and controlling at the border. This should have been done in Europe over the summer. It still needs doing. The alternative is contained death by a thousand cuts. The existing vaccines don't change that.

The overwhelmed health care of the first wave did cause in the Netherlands on top of the 10,000 excess deaths (of which 6,000 reported Covid deaths) an estimated 50,000 lost healthy life years.
RIVM: at least 50,000 healthy life years were lost in the first wave
Due to postponements and cancellations of doctor's appointments during the first corona wave, at least 50,000 healthy life years are lost in the long term. This is what the RIVM states in the report "Impact of the first COVID-19 wave on regular care and health".

Many appointments and treatments were canceled or postponed between March and August in hospitals, GPs and other healthcare institutions. The health benefits that these treatments normally yield have therefore not been achieved, the RIVM writes.

The number of 50,000 does not indicate the number of deaths. A healthy year of life can be lost due to premature death as well as reduced quality of life. In the estimate of at least 50,000 healthy life years lost, the share of reduced quality of life is relatively large and the share of premature death is smaller.

Most of the healthy life years lost are the result of treatments not performed within the ophthalmology and orthopedics specialties, such as cataract, knee and hip surgery.

https://nos.nl/liveblog/2360724-kam...onde-levensjaren-verloren-in-eerste-golf.html

sorry to hear
and yes we have now a strict lockdown for 5 weeks, the link in your post listing it up.
The decision was made sunday based on this report: die nu ook op internet staat,
You can see that mobility is at high level despite the restrictions in place. All within the rules but not within the intentions.

One of the tables in there says though that most infections are happening through at-home contacts... let's hope that the further restrictions help with that :/.

One of the tables in there says though that most infections are happening through at-home contacts... let's hope that the further restrictions help with that :/.

Infections from at-home contacts,when they do happen, are kind of unavoidable and more likely to be traced.

There is no government policy, no means available (like empty hotels as quarantaine), to escape your home when one of your family members is infected. Separating in-home not always easy or doable at all (i did make emergency plans with my daughter living here. She made with friends also the arrangement that social visits are separated by a 5-day cooldown in between other visits)
And most likely there are many days where it is not yet clear that one person brought the infection into home.
In general infections from at-home, work, school, visits-family-friends, care-houses, etc are more likely to be traced as category in de stats because you know who you did meet.

Government lockdown policy aimed at the "avoidable" contacts and seeing at-home contacts as unavoidable, like in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom