Assorted Language Questions

knee-oh

Reeves out front shoulda told ya.

Keanu Reeves plays a character named Neo (pronounced knee-oh) in the Matrix movies.

"X out front should have told you" is a line from the movie Family Vacation ("moose" in the original, but as a meme, you can slot in anything).

Knee oh

I pronounce it 'knee-oh' as well, but I yesterday realised that since 'neo' comes from the Greek, and according to Greek-to-English transliteration 'io' is pronounced 'ee-oh' and 'eo' 'eigh-oh' 'neo' should be pronounced in the latter manner. Most online audios however give the pronunciation as 'knee-oh', so I was wondering if the original Greek pronunciation had been preserved anywhere in English

neontology

Neolithic

Now I'm confused. Are we talking about the knights who say nee-oh, the knights who say nee-uh, or are we talking about the knights who say NI?

Hello. Post thoughtfully. If you spend a bit of time reading threads, you can learn about the regulars and the posting culture we have. The threads about wars and other more toxic subjects are excepting to the normally conversational nature of Off Topic. In Off topic you have access to a huge and diverse knowledge base about all kinds of subjects from folks from all around the world. Takhisis is multi lingual with deep knowledge about many languages and how they work, as well as, translating them. That is why I asked him into the thread. You did not come across well in your posts to him.
Sorry

That's of course a very telling piece of language: telling as to whom Trump counts as a "somebody."

Someone who speaks American, of course. But also one more thing: someone who doesn't speak any other language than American.

We Wuz Crusaderz' claim that Trump was quoting linguists regarding the 150 Brooklyn speakers of Seke would be more convincing if:
1) Trump had quoted linguists and
2) Trump's initial claim hadn't been that (and I quote) "millions" of people coming into our country speak languages that nobody speaks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom