Bonaparte II Tournament Home Page

Patient English

Designer
At the Mod's suggestion, this thread is here to act as a general discussion forum for the tournament, and for running scores to be posted.

This should help clear the main game threads for actual AARs and save game posts.

For assistance in sending diplomatic notes, the players' email addresses are:

Patient: netdesignNOSPAM@zoom.co.uk
Case: nick_dowlingNOSPAM@hotmail.com
Sas: sastokkeNOSPAM@broadpark.no
Voltar: voltariiNOSPAM@yahoo.com
Henrik: henrik.lohmanderNOSPAM@telia.com
Darius: gall0278NOSPAM@umn.edu
FiGu: figu01NOSPAM@msn.com
Steve: conmcb25@bluemarble.net (WinterFritz has been susbstituted by him)

For ease in setting up online trading, the players' AIM handles are:

Patient: Patient1815
Case: NickDowling10
Diatribe:wgreiter111

Others' will be added as they make them available to me, or post them on THIS thread.

(Please everyone who wants to deal online supply an AIM userid, rather than (or as well as) ICQ or MSN.)

For LazyCiv users, a list of the cities they must rename before each save so that the events work properly:

Madrid (6)
Hannover (3)
Brunswick (2)
Hamburg (3)
Constantinople
British India 9
Saragosa
Burgos
Salamanca
Valencia (2)
Seville (2)
Cork
Derry
Paris (15)
Vienna (10)
Berlin (9)
London (10)

A couple of points I should make generally.

All competitors have the new version of Bonaparte (ver 2g). This can be downloaded from my web site by anyone who wants the latest and greatest...;) Yeah, I know it says ver 2f on the web page and in the zip file, but believe me, it is version 2g. (I have a problem deleting files from my website at the moment.)

We are playing at Colonel level. This equates to King level I believe, not Prince as I said in my email. This should cause no issues in a PBEM, but anyone please shout if you know differently.

I want happy wonders and improvements to be significant issues for the players.

*shouts*

to quote Henrik and FMk's PBEM quide:
"PBEMs are generally played on the "Prince" difficulty level since it wont give bonuses to the civs which are controlled by AI (this means that units belonging to other civs wont get bonuses when one of the human players is playing his turn)"

Playing on King level probably won't cause any major problems, but I think that we should stick to Prince,

Well, if we do, Voltar and I will need to restart. I want King level, as otherwise the population are hardly ever restless, which changes strategy a lot.

I don't think the quote you give will apply to PBEM games, as the AI does't move when the human player is playing. I see the point in Online MP of course. The PBEM FAQ here says just agree the level, not whet that level should be.

Henrik or FMK, can you confirm this, or otherwise?

However, we haven't exactly gone too far yet, so what are peoples' opinions?

I think that Henrik and FMK's guide is on PBEMs only...

Yes, it is, but I don't see why this would be a problem in a PBEM. However, with the Markus thing, we might have to restart anyway.

However, I would like to consider playing at King level properly. Does anyone know why playing at this level in a PBEM might screw it up? Are these production bonuses, or combat bonuses? If the latter, I totally agree with you Case.

What level are we playing the playtest on? I haven't noticed any problems with it...

Depending on what Henrik says, it may well be that the gameplay benefits of playing on King outweight the problems this causes.

Just as an FYI: In the PBEM Sticky Thread, Smash seemed to think that they were referring to the size of the production box and food box and that King was the proper level anyway

ummm I started tourney 1 on Prince...

I'm feeling left out here, no invitation to join the tournament .. :(

Heres I map I modified from the one Case posted on the playtest thread (which is originally the work of Grogthar, IIRC.) This can be modified to show progress in the various games.

I'm also working on a version that has the cities marked it with little territories outlined around each city. This will make new borders easy to draw as cities change hands as well as add a bit of consistency to the different maps.

Attachments

• boney2.gif
    boney2.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 619
Could you make the colours a bit darker? That colour scheme hurts my eyes ;) :o [I must be getting old]

'Fritz - thanks for the map. I love the colours! Each umpire can of course chose the colours he best likes.....;)

Voltar - did you start on "Major"level, then? In my game, that is the level that equates to Prince (the third from the top), not "Colonel", as I indicated in my original email.

SAS - your application is being considered...;). If it turned out that someone else (there is only one other being considered) were chosen, would you still be up for consideration as first-call subsitute if someone fell by the wayside?

Yah patient I started on the third dif Prince. If you says it's Major then thats what it is. I'm sorry but I was told to always start games on Prince...

I am very happy to announce a replacement for our recent drop-out.

Sas will be taking Markus's place on the game roster. I expect he will need a day or two to get adjusted to the most recent copy of the game (which I will be sending him soon, along with the email introducing house rules etc.).

Therefore, we should try to kick off around Monday next week. Having said that, the beauty of this tournament is that everyone can play at their own pace. If you want to start earlier, please do.

Voltar says he has started the game at Prince level, so one of us will have to change. Just in case King level introduces some bias in combat, I shall redo my turn in Game #2. (Voltar, you will need to play again after me.)

Just to clarify, Prince level is the third option down the list. In my game, this should be "Major". Please email me if unsure, because we want all of these games to start off identically.

The one that some call...."Tim",

Thanks for the info. Yes, I suspect King level would be OK, but as long as we are all agreed, that is the main thing. I suspect people would be happier at Prince (both within and outside the game ;)), so I will replay my turn.

(BTW, what IS your favourite colour?)

:D

Thanks for letting me join the tournament.

And you're right, i need a day or so to get used to the changes. The scenario looks great though :)

Here's a slightly imporved version of Patients spreadsheet. I've added a column to keep track of the percentage change in nation's victory points.

Top Bottom