Brave New World gameplay walkthrough w. Ed Beach posting tomorrow

Zoo. I bet they made Theaters into culture buildings and made zoos into happiness buildings.

1. ?
2. Globe Theatre
3. Feitoria
4. Uffizi Gallery
5. ?
6. Archaeologist
7. Archaeological Dig (and a building, should be separate I think)
8. Hotel
9. Broadway
10. ? (Airport?)

Plus there are a couple of new global effects (white stars), still unknown.

5- Borobudur

Yeah, because Marco Polo lived in Venice.

But maybe it was a hint for a Venetian civ, with some ability related to getting science from trades. I don't know, grasping at straws now.

But so far about three people has sworn the art for M'baza-Kongo looks different, zulu itself is hard to see, but one would assume they'd have the same art-style.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it is different, Songhai, Zulu and maybe-but-maybe-not Ethiopia has their own art style! And also M'basa-kongo, Mombasa and hopefully Zanzibar (why were they asian?)

Really? I'm going to watch the vid again.

So, by now, its safe to say that theres no big changes to the tech tree? By this I mean the inclusion of new techs or Eras?

If so, this is the only negative point of this expansion. I really wanted a longer game with more techs.

I think at PAX or there abouts, the Internet was mentioned as a culture-based new tech.

As stated before, 5) doesn't really look like Borobudur, and that appears rather late along the tech tree for something built in the 9th century. Not that Civ is always accurate with wonder dates, mind.

So, by now, its safe to say that theres no big changes to the tech tree? By this I mean the inclusion of new techs or Eras?

If so, this is the only negative point of this expansion. I really wanted a longer game with more techs.

It was confirmed in the Q&A LiveStream that Tech Tree was not modified (it's as good as it gets, I mean, compare it to Vanilla Tree), and quite frankly it's not a negative, you don't mess with perfection :lol:

It was confirmed in the Q&A LiveStream that Tech Tree was not modified (it's as good as it gets, I mean, compare it to Vanilla Tree), and quite frankly it's not a negative, you don't mess with perfection :lol:

You and I have very different views on perfection.

I watched the video again, and I think there's a new city art for African civs, but it's a repaint of the Middle Eastern. Better than nothing, I suppose :undecide:

However, we need to see better images / comparisons

Autocrats do not share power. They are one-man United Nations.

You're confusing a definition of leadership of a single society with relations between societies. Autocrats don't share power over their own populace, but that has no necessary bearing on their interaction with other powers - a foreign power that isn't planning an invasion is not a competitor for authority over that country's population.

Looking at the real world through a lens of three coarse ideologies corresponding to fascism, communism and capitalist democracy, you'd be forced to conclude that one of those is indeed characterised more by division and internecine rivalry than either of the others, which formed discrete, identifiable blocs largely unified by a shared ideology.

That exception is capitalist democracy. Fascist states had a shared ideology and generally strong relations with one another. Communist states were less tightly-bound due to rivalry between Chinese and Soviet communist traditions, but they still presented more of a united front than the Western world. Democracies united out of opposition to communism and fascism rather than out of a shared commitment to democracy; both before those newer ideologies emerged and after they faded the democratic world has been highly fractured, and also not shy about making closer allies with non-democratic or semi-democratic states than with other "Freedom civs". Even during the Cold War, while the Soviet bloc largely demanded adherence to communist teachings among its allies, the West reached out to dictators not aligned with either communism or fascism (and was arguably not too choosy about siding with genuinely or semi-fascist ones).

The Nazis attacked the Soviet Union after promising not to. Terrible terrible terrible diplomacy.

Had they won it would have been quite effective diplomacy, since they would have neutralised one threat while dealing with another, and been able to focus on their rivals one by one. Diplomacy does not equal peaceful coexistence forever more, or "reaching out to people"; it's a tool for obtaining political advantage in dealings with other nations.

Agreed. The term "tourism" as applied in BNW is misleading, cheesy, and anti-immersive, given how early it appears. It should all be called "culture," with some serving the offensive role and some the defensive. As long as the player knows which functions provide which, there would be nothing confusing about it.

Tourism in reality was a rather early development - the original Wonders of the World lists were intended as a list of top tourist attractions, and the Romans toured the ruins of Sparta. What's anti-immersive due to the early timing is the suitcase icon. And "tourism" as a route to victory sounds silly even by the standards of a game that sends spacecraft to Alpha Centauri.

I fail to see why they couldn't simply call aggressive culture "influence", which is what the equivalent concept - leading to city- and tile-flipping - in Civ IV was conventionally called even though it wasn't a separate mechanic.

Extra culture for Brazilwood comes with Acoustics? That would make sense.

Actually, it makes no sense at all. Represent the Manaus opera house as a Wonder if you want (I'd take it over Prora or Cristo Redentor), but opera houses are not a general feature of Brazilian wood camps. But it has been confirmed that the camps give a culture bonus at Acoustics.

Did you guys noted that the chateau are build suspicious only in archeology sites?

Bummer, looks like the gap between lancer and anti-tank is just as large and the GWI to Infantry is still only two techs apart. I'd like to have seen some of those later techs moved around a bit, but after I get bored from the core game I suppose I can just mod it myself.

Actually, it makes no sense at all. Represent the Manaus opera house as a Wonder if you want (I'd take it over Prora or Cristo Redentor), but opera houses are not a general feature of Brazilian wood camps. But it has been confirmed that the camps give a culture bonus at Acoustics.

I think it makes perfect sense; wasn't Brazilwood frequently used to construct instruments, specifically violin bows?

It has nothing to do with Manaus. It's because brazilwood is one of the best woods to make musical instruments.

I can confirm that in the Demo it seems Chateaus were in fact build on top of archaeology sites. I dont know if that makes any sense in real life? Do Chateaus and archaeology have some connection?

If that is the case, then French UI would be replacement for Landmark improvement.

I can confirm that in the Demo it seems Chateaus were in fact build on top of archaeology sites. I dont know if that makes any sense?

If that is the case, then French UI is related to archaeology. Interesting...

So that would make them a Unique version of the Landmark. Which sounds a bit weird from a historical perspective, but is not that bad gameplay wise. On the other hand, as France's UA gives double Culture and Tourism combo bonuses in its capital, you might prefer to extract Great Artifacts from those digs rather than turn them into Landmarks. Or you just have to "acquire" your Artifacts from your neighbors.

Yeah, we were wondering what would prevent France from spamming Châteaux all over its territory. The archaeological sites seem to be a fair restriction, specially if a Château pay off for not digging its artifact and housing it in the capital for doubled culture and tourism.

I can confirm that in the Demo it seems Chateaus were in fact build on top of archaeology sites. I dont know if that makes any sense in real life? Do Chateaus and archaeology have some connection?

It's worth pointing out that the dig sites appear to be in different locations between the videos, though (at least the one between the French and Portuguese that they pointed out in the video).

Top Bottom