Brave New World gameplay walkthrough w. Ed Beach posting tomorrow

He's not an analyst, he works for the "team". Is that really something to get upset about?

Yuck.

What is next? Sports analyst talking exclusively about one team, but wearing the jersey of another team from another sport (but of the same city)?

It's the same damn company. It's closer to Ray Lewis wearing a Joe Flacco jersey (or some other example where two people on the same team do something in honor of the same damn team).

Athletes will often have hats from other sports on during press conferences. Some have gotten in trouble because they were wearing a hat of their hometown team instead of the team from the city they play in.

Even that is different. Ed Beach and Jake Solomon play for the same team.

Don't really know where to post this but I guess this is as good a thread as any:

Though I've been a keen follower of Civ I always ignored the development part. I read things here and there about Ed not being the lead guy but then he became the lead guy.

Can someone clarify the evolution of Civ designers (don't go further back than Civ 4) and their roles in civ? (Or point me to a thread that has this already discussed)

Basically, I want to know if the entirety of civ 5 is Ed's "baby" or if he adopted it

Sure:

Soren Johnson was the lead designer of Civ4. I can't remember if he was the lead designer for both expansion packs or not.
Jon Shafer was lead of Civ5 (I can't remember what his role was in BTS).
Ed Beach is lead designer of Civ5: G&K and BNW.

I believe Ed Beach was involved in some way in the vanilla version of Civ5. He may have been AI programmer.

Sure:

Soren Johnson was the lead designer of Civ4. I can't remember if he was the lead designer for both expansion packs or not.
Jon Shafer was lead of Civ5 (I can't remember what his role was in BTS).
Ed Beach is lead designer of Civ5: G&K and BNW.

That's interesting. Knowing this I would really love for this to be the final expansion and for Ed to take the reigns of Civ 6 from day one just to see what he comes up with from scratch

That's interesting. Knowing this I would really love for this to be the final expansion and for Ed to take the reigns of Civ 6 from day one just to see what he comes up with from scratch

The fact that Ed is working on the expansions suggests that other developers are currently handling the next project of Firaxis, and if that's Civ 6 then I don't see him being heavily involved with it at this point. On the other hand if Firaxis' next project is Alpha Centauri 2, then I guess Ed would possibly be the lead developer for the next Civ game.

Agreed. The term "tourism" as applied in BNW is misleading, cheesy, and anti-immersive, given how early it appears. It should all be called "culture," with some serving the offensive role and some the defensive. As long as the player knows which functions provide which, there would be nothing confusing about it.

Heritage (culture) VS Globalization (tourism), or cosmopolitanism, if you want to include a less modern term

The first one is created by artworks, landmarks and historical sites, the second is created by museum curation, hotels, movie studios and the likes, with the first one implying some "defensive cultural role" and the second implying some outward influence, since "globalization" it is a term related to the whole "cultural imperialism" social theory.

The more you leave your mark in order to shape the "global culture", the closer you are to a cultural victory, with only a strong sense of identity and heritage acting as a barrier to such influence, as it happens in the real world too.

There, naming problem solved!

Civ 4 expansion packs were led by other people, including Jon Shafer. Ed was AI programmer and designer of all civ traits (UA, UU, UB) on Civ 5 vanilla.

Speculation: As

a) the Kremlin (a defense-related wonder) was moved from Metallurgy to Railroad,
b) one new world wonder is still unkown,
c) the new tech tree displays an unknown building/wonder at Metallurgy,

could this be the Red Fort (a new defense-related wonder)?

This could be, Firaxis has a trend of letting someone who worked extensively on the expansion packs (or a previous version) to become a lead designer for the next game.

Soren Johnsen was programmer/AI programmer of Civ 3, became lead of Civ 4 vanilla
Jon Shafer was designer/programmer on both Civ4's expansion packs became lead for Civ 5 vanilla
And now Ed beach (who was designer for Civ 5 vanilla) became lead for the expansion packs.

As you can see, so far Firaxis has used civ-veterans for their next game. It wouldn't surprise me, especially if BNW is as good as G&K, that Ed Beach gets rewarded the lead of Civ 6 vanilla.
(After which he'll leave Firaxis if the future follows history :p )

Ed Beach also worked for the second expansion of Civilization III : Conquests. :)

I think they move the Kremlin to Railroad so that way one person couldn't stack the Great Wall with the Kremlin.

Ed Beach also worked for the second expansion of Civilization III : Conquests. :)

Did he? I hadn't heard that? Much of the development of that game was actually farmed out to a third-party company, iirc.

C3C was outsourced to Breakaway Games, and Ed Beach worked there for a long time. He designed several of the C3C scenarios, and wrote a few C3C's developer diary entries explaining their creative process.

Top Bottom