Clash of Deity War(Peace)mongers 2 - BTS - Zara Yaqob

ABigCivFan

Emperor
Game Report Index:

*1. 4000BC-660AD (Land Grab; Research path; GL; MM/Darius/Hannibal/Zara the happy trading club; Hannibal the bully; Liberalism) Updated 1/28/08

*2. 700AD-1760AD(Peachmongering; MM the Cultural Monster; Gearing up for War; Cathy the Relentless; Operation Culture Killer; The "Nut Cracker" Battle Group; Spoils of War; Future Uncertain.) Updated 2/1/08

*3. 1760AD-1852AD(Mensa the Vassel; The Power of Organized Religion; Culture pushing; Hannibal/JC War; Cathy Launched!; The Ending.) Updated 2/1/08

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the 2nd open game on Deity.

Settings:

BTS3.13/Deity/Continents/Normal Speed/Defaults

Warclub:
Catherine
Kubla Kahn
Julius Cesar
Ragnar

Techclub:
Mensa
Darius
Hannibal

Human:
Zara Yaqob

Starting location:

Everyone is welcome, pls put your game progress in spoiler tags. Enjoy.

No early food could be a problem. Without any real ability to see the surrounding area, I'd say settle in place and hope for the best.
Early gold is nice though.

I´d settle on the ivory. You lose only 5 forested tiles = no resources. You would gain double hammers in the city tile and a camped ivory is not a very good tile, so no real loss.
There has to be at least one food resource hidden somewhere, else the map generator wouldn´t work properly.

The start is completely forested, which means that it is calculated as one of the worse starting positions.
That means that there are probably some AIs closeby and little room to expand.

Another interesting gamble could be settling on the marble to gain a three hammer tile, but you´d lose two turns and unless there is lots of seafood that´s probably not a smart move.

Another interesting gamble could be settling on the marble to gain a three hammer tile, but you´d lose two turns and unless there is lots of seafood that´s probably not a smart move.

I didn't start the game yet, but I was considering this too. The scout will be able to reveal many tiles by going SW+SE not to mention that the marble has a blue circle in the screenshot, which if I got the civ mechanics right indicate a food source or two nearby. It's not one of the capital's food resources either as we can see all the shared tiles (last one is clearly forested). Think I'm willing to sacrifice some starting turns here to make sure my capital has enough food. Possibly moving settler NW after the scout if we find a sea resource or similar down there. That won't lose more than 1 turn, even if we decide to go to the marble next.

On another note, thanks for making another one of these threads. I learned a lot from comparing my game to other deity players in the previous installment. I started a separate private deity game afterwards and played much more convincingly than usual winning comfortably for once. Strongly recommend participating to all the people winning on immortal consistantly while only playing deity every now and then and not feeling comfortable with the difficulty level. This could give you a bump up.

Was expecting Pangea, but at least now I can revenge my previous game so np :)

As far as I can see, the tile 1W 1NW of the settler isn't forested, so that's probably a food resource. That's because the map generator should always give at least 1 food resource in any start. I would settle in place, but on top of the ivory wouldn't be a bad move either.. I lurked the first one, and I'm really looking forward to this too!

We get 2 immediate happy bonues, both on river, that is good. Food is the biggest concern, but we probably get 1 in BFC, seems we have to get couple of workers out early and chop-farm to bring up the pop which will be slower than usual.

I am thinking build a second scout after 1 worker to help with fogbust/hut pop.

Settle in place. This claims the marble on 2nd border pop.

Capital settled..

Spoiler :

after moving the scout, still no help, so settle in place. This reveal cow to the west.

Tech order: Agri(will need soon and cheapen AH)-AH-BW-Wheel-Archery if needed

Build order: worker-scout-worrior(barracks)

Cow gives 3 food without pasture, will work it to size 2, then work cow/gold to speed up AH/BW research speed, then chop a 2nd worker to help with chop and farm the river grasslands. This is a slow start but have trees right?

Moved my scout as I suggested in my above post and this is what the terrain looked like:

(Don't read this before your capital is settled.)
Spoiler :

Interesting! I'm really torn at this point. If I move I lose a lot of commerce river tiles, but I could always move my capital later in the game @bureacracy. I think I might be swayed to settling on the marbe, it will certainly spice up things. A 3 hammer plot + coastal fish + riverside gold is going to boost my early game a lot. I can just save that river and hidden capital food resource for a later cottage heaven instead. I could even settle on the ivory at a later point, although I will know more about the surroundings then. Only 2 tiles overlapping and sharing gold. This game got interesting right off the bat.

Edit: @ U Sun, I'm sure it gives 2 production if settled on at plains. It has 2 base hammers. You don't get extra commerce though, that's only added when 'camped'.

Putting my thoughts in spoiler just to be on the safe side.

Spoiler :
I'm a bit concerned over the lack of food. Cows (thank the RNG gods they are on grassland) aren't bad but I'd prefer a little more. We can't hope for any strategic resources in fat cross either so we'll need to scout out a second city site soon, unless it's an archery block we're aiming for. But two happy resources is sweet, I'm guessing that doesn't happen much on diety? Wonders? Marble is neat, can we get it in time for oracle or is that a nono on diety? GL should be a no-brainer anyway with all that forest.

I gave it a shoot, but was annihilated by barb uprising(capital, 2nd city, only had 3. city left, so i hit the quit button at that point.) Will not post any screenshots of the map; though my opinion of the land is in the spoiler.

Spoiler :
The land is pretty decent with good posibilities for aggressive expansion. Both normal strategies CE/SE and even an obsolete copy strategy is possible. This will definitely be an interesting game/thread.

I´ll give it another go tomorrow i think ;)

OK played until Liberalism...

Spoiler :

2840BC: map. Note there are lots of Calendar resources in the jungles, and I intend to grab a large chunk of those lands quickly.

2440BC:

Darius, Hannibal and Mensa are on our conti, the whole science club with Hannibal the bully again lol. so the plan is to suck up to Hannibal and trade like mad with the nerds...

By luck I poped writing in the North hut, note i am researching Math to get better chop hammers, will need lots of chop for settlers since Capital is food short.

2240BC: got a scout and a worrior fog busting near my settle site, chopping settler in capital. First city should grab horse/cow/rice/banana/4 sugers That is what I called a UBER CITY with those grass hills in that BFC, it will be a great prod city, most likely the HE city. So gotta get there quick!!!!

1920BC.

Mansa is sneaky quick, I could not settle on that hill to claim everything, he already grabbed the rice and gets horse on first pop, but since we are creative, we will for sure secure that horse, but will lose the rice. Still not bad at all. That was a tight race, will really culture push him hard..

1360BC:

Had the capital stayed at pop 3 working cow/gold/Ivory, and chopped 4 settlers/archers. Math was tremendous help.

4 City block, secured great number of resources, next will block up north of the deserts.

875BC:

Happy trading, look what Math gave me, need these pre-reqs to hurry to Calendar and Literature.

Traded Aesthetics around for Alphebat, IW and some other pre-req techs.

725BC:

5th city claimed Stone and this completes the blocking. I could still fill 4 cities to the Eastern coast of my territory to work 1 copper, 1 sheep, 1 marble and 2 fish. will back fill later need to keep the Maint. down.

450BC:

Rushing GL in capital.

300BC:

Bulbing Philo.

275BC: Tech Chart

250BC: Tech Chart

25AD:

Hannibal being the bully had fought Darius and now on Mesa. But Mesa had decent tech lead and was able to stand up to Hannibal's invasions.

Note I am staying with Hannibal's religion to be-friend him. I really do not have much defensive force, so had to play diplo very carefully.

200AD:

Look what is once a jungle city, now a production monster with 23 base hammers. The sugers are feeding the hammers. I will soon put the HE here and pump some units. Early Calendar is good for this game.

660AD:

Delayed Liberalism until I got Optics so I can get Astronomy as the free tech, Could have gotten Liberalism 10 turns earlier to get Nationalism but opted to go the Astro route. Mensa in the mean time has gotten Nationalism.

As planned, back filled 3 cities, one more settler is being built to fill the last spot to the East of Capital to work a lone fish. Got the gold from tech trading so now can afford the high Maint.

Will need Gunpowder soon to bring Oromos on line need serious power.

It still amaze me how the AI with such huge power leads on human players on deity early on never (or hardly ever attack) while you spam cities and grab land. One of their stacks could wipe out half of your entire empire.

dude what do you want =) Do you want the AI play like a human and rush you at 3500BC with archers? Deity is already very difficult the way it is, if you want to get more rushed just add raging barbarians...

I played the early bit. Probably won't get to continue soon coz I need to finish other threads first. Anyhow, enjoy the read.

Spoiler :

Settled the marble with the intention to do some trade economy this time around. Second city grabbed the bronze and stone north. Then I went wonderzerk, building ToA, GLH, GL in capital and Mids and Parthenon in second city. Used couple of axes and Darius courteous assistance to capture the barb city north/unlock HE; built two cities south and west to culture press Mali/Persia. Finally backfilled with four more cities.

Great ppl so far
GP1: settled
GP2: settled
GS1: bulbed machinery for trades
GS2: academy
GA1: (from Music) settled to flip Bactra
GM1: settled

The diplo situation is comfortable. I don't share a border with Han, and he has no open borders with Mansa/Darius (they hate each other).

Got Philo and Papar on all, Mansa has Guilds and Banks on me. Lib is bagged but I need to decide about the free tech.

All in all, research and GPP rates are fine, and the culture rate is insane. Capital will reach the 5000 mark in 20ish turns and likely flip a Malinese city to the south. I may as well hit a cultural vic.

Capital

World

Attachments

• jgoody AD-0375us.CivBeyondSwordSave
    275.3 KB · Views: 126
dude what do you want =) Do you want the AI play like a human and rush you at 3500BC with archers? Deity is already very difficult the way it is, if you want to get more rushed just add raging barbarians...

I'm not whining at all. Personally I think its the only way a human can keep up with the huge bonuses deity gets is by not attacking the human.

I'd drop aggressive AI and add gamist AI.

Mind you tho, the AI needs a huge advantage in military to actually defeat a competent human player.

I played the early bit. Probably won't get to continue soon coz I need to finish other threads first. Anyhow, enjoy the read.

Spoiler :

Settled the marble with the intention to do some trade economy this time around. Second city grabbed the bronze and stone north. Then I went wonderzerk, building ToA, GLH, GL in capital and Mids and Parthenon in second city. Used couple of axes and Darius courteous assistance to capture the barb city north/unlock HE; built two cities south and west to culture press Mali/Persia. Finally backfilled with four more cities.

The diplo situation is comfortable. I don't share a border with Han, and he has no open borders with Mansa/Darius (they hate each other).

Got Philo and Papar on all, Mansa has Guilds and Banks on me. Lib is bagged but I need to decide about the free tech.

All in all, research and GPP rates are fine, and the culture rate is insane. Capital will reach the 5000 mark in 20ish turns and likely flip a Malinese city to the south. I may as well hit a cultural vic.

Capital

It is a bold move to settle that Marble Hill, you are really going for the super research capital approach. Add in Univ, Observ, Oxford it will pull 300+ beakers/turn. well done so far. Only thing is those wonders will expire soon.

I saw you just back filled a few cities, guess you will pump some workers to bring them up. I made slight mistake settling the 6th city quite late so OXford and Globe will be bit delayed.

How is the score, any war yet among the AIs?

Hannibal already warred v Mansa and is about to start another war, maybe against Darius. Carthage is a bit behind in tech tho and I don't see Persia losing much ground. On the other hand, Persia has no iron nor horse. Then again, Han maybe after Mali but that's going to be even harder.

The new cities are whipping infrastructure atm and some workers. The ex-barb city looks like a good spot for National Park btw. Lalibela will get Globe, but Oxford is a bit of question really. Capital has NE and Moai.

I'm not sure getting Astro from Lib will work well for me. The other continent is a den of heathen warmongers. Moreover, Steles add a lot of culture. I'm thinking of beelining Rifling instead.

Top Bottom