College Football In Season Thread

Texas is bringing back alot of defensive talent, and our QB being raw is no detriment. We almost won it with McCoy his freshman year (probably should have). But I really can't be asked to care too much, just as long as OU doesn't do too good.

Wait, did you just say that you probably should have won in McCoy's freshman year? Wasn't that the year Ohio State came down to austin and rolled you guys 24-7? Then you guys lost later in the year to both K-State and TAMU??

I hate to say it, but I don't think anyone will beat Alabama either this year. They have no equal in the SEC at the moment, and I do not think they will be as succeptible to upsets as they were towards the end of last season (very close games against Tennessee and Auburn). And, until it actually gets accomplished, I don't think whatever team the SEC champ faces in a national championship game will win.

BYU just decided to split the MWC and go FULL INDIE in football.

WHY? YOU ARE DUMB.

They are not dumb, MWC tv contract is terrible. They can make a whole lot more as an indy then they can in the MWC. In addition, without Utah, there is no way that becomes a BCS conference.

Well, to be honest, its spend 50K on tuition, make 40K as a teacher, then bail and go to law school.

BTW, Pryor looked great tonight!!

Pryor did look good tonight, but it was Marshall, so I am not going to get too excited. Replicate that against Miami and then we'll talk.

Kraz is going nuts over the USC-Hawaii game

it's pretty funny

Speaking of Hawai'i, they should be going Independent soon too. They also badly need a new stadium, I saw that thing when I was in Honolulu a few weeks ago and stadium is in bad shape.

They are not dumb, MWC tv contract is terrible. They can make a whole lot more as an indy then they can in the MWC. In addition, without Utah, there is no way that becomes a BCS conference.
Really? I don't think the difference between Utah and Boise State's programs over the last few years is that stark. If they went out and grabbed Houston, They have 2 possible top 10 teams, and another 2-3 possible top 25 teams. That might have been enough.

I like going out and getting ND for a long contract, and the Texas games...and I figure BYU will prob play Utah, Utah State and Hawaii every year...but finding other games after week 4 is going to be tricky. Plus, there just aren't many Mormons or BYU grads east of the Mississippi (where all the big TV money is)...LDS people only have a statistically significant % of one TV market (washington dc), and it's not a great one for college football.

I see this as either a vanity move to try and keep up with Utah, or a way to showcase themselves to the Big 12 when they eventually expand again to get a championship game.

Pryor did look good tonight, but it was Marshall, so I am not going to get too excited. Replicate that against Miami and then we'll talk.
Yeah, I know the score/yards are kind of irrelevant, since we were going to stomp them (although Marshall could go bowling again this year). I was more concerned about Pryor's decision-making, which outside of a play or two, was really quite sharp. He checked down to Tight Ends, seldom threw into super tight coverage, and didn't take off running when he didn't need to. Tressel also opened up the playbook a little bit, which obviously helped Saine.

Miami is going to be a really tough game obviously (effing South Beach!!!!)...but if Pryor doesn't make many boneheaded plays, Ohio State is going to be tough to slow down offensively.

Speaking of Hawai'i, they should be going Independent soon too. They also badly need a new stadium, I saw that thing when I was in Honolulu a few weeks ago and stadium is in bad shape.
Yeah I figure the WAC implodes soon and Hawaii also goes Indy.

Wait, did you just say that you probably should have won in McCoy's freshman year? Wasn't that the year Ohio State came down to austin and rolled you guys 24-7? Then you guys lost later in the year to both K-State and TAMU??

Ohio State has nothing to do with the Big 12.

When we played K-State, we were comfortably in the driver's seat to win the Big 12. McCoy got hurt on the first drive and Snead couldn't replace his production. McCoy was all kinds of messed up during the TAMU game as well.

ALSO, dt how many times do I need to teach you the ways of the Wannstache? ;)

Ohio State has nothing to do with the Big 12.

When we played K-State, we were comfortably in the driver's seat to win the Big 12. McCoy got hurt on the first drive and Snead couldn't replace his production. McCoy was all kinds of messed up during the TAMU game as well.

ALSO, dt how many times do I need to teach you the ways of the Wannstache? ;)

Ah, I had completely forgotten about that injury to McCoy. It jogs my memory though of watching that game.

Go Wake! :cool: Oh wait... it was Presbyterian College :mischief: .

Ah, I had completely forgotten about that injury to McCoy. It jogs my memory though of watching that game.

Yea, Snead was not that impressive and the promptly bolted the program during that summer. Hence my utter disdain for Mr. Snead :p

Only OSU game I'll likely get to see before the Wisconsin game is Miami :( I hope Pryor's performance wasn't just beating up a weaker team, but a show of Tressel's confidence in his QB.

Post your teams' quarterback stats:

Penn State:

Robert Bowden: Freshman starter
Completion: 69% (20/29)
Passing TD: 2
Rushing TD: 0
Passing Yards: 239
Rushing Yards: 1

Kevin Newsome Junior with seniority (played in 2009)
Completion: 72.7%
Passing TD: 0
Rushing TD: 2
Passing Yards: 66
Rushing Yards: 95

I cannot believe Jacksonville State just beat Ole Miss. What a finish. I went to the game where they led for almost the whole game against FSU last year (I mainly went excited to see Ryan Perilloux get dominated and was obviously surprised). I think we could have another 2007 at hand.

C-A-L-I-FOR-NIA California, California, Califooooooooooooooornia

Not to optimistic about the season before today, but Riley didn't look like his usual, unstable self. However, it was only against our local cupcake, UC-Davis
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Kevin Riley 14/20 258 18.4 3 0

This thread is not a stat dump for how well your players did against FCS schools. Schools that play FCS schools should have autolosses on their record, regardless if they actually got Michigan'ed.

Really? I don't think the difference between Utah and Boise State's programs over the last few years is that stark. If they went out and grabbed Houston, They have 2 possible top 10 teams, and another 2-3 possible top 25 teams. That might have been enough.

I agree. They could have waited to see this year's results and then grabbed Houston and/or Tulsa to help them with the mathematical formula. At least give the MWC a chance. If they end up not qualifying, the networks will still be interested.

Yeah I figure the WAC implodes soon and Hawaii also goes Indy.

Hawaii as an independent makes more sense than BYU. They could avoid road trips, and they'll be able to find enough teams to fill their schedule because Hawaii is a nice road trip to sell to recruits and the visiting school gets to add a free home game to make up the travel costs.

I agree. They could have waited to see this year's results and then grabbed Houston and/or Tulsa to help them with the mathematical formula. At least give the MWC a chance. If they end up not qualifying, the networks will still be interested.

Hawaii as an independent makes more sense than BYU. They could avoid road trips, and they'll be able to find enough teams to fill their schedule because Hawaii is a nice road trip to sell to recruits and the visiting school gets to add a free home game to make up the travel costs.

The only problem Hawai'i has for being independent is finding a conference for all their other sports. If they can do that, they'll almost certainly go.

I like going out and getting ND for a long contract, and the Texas games...and I figure BYU will prob play Utah, Utah State and Hawaii every year...but finding other games after week 4 is going to be tricky. Plus, there just aren't many Mormons or BYU grads east of the Mississippi (where all the big TV money is)...LDS people only have a statistically significant % of one TV market (washington dc), and it's not a great one for college football.

I see this as either a vanity move to try and keep up with Utah, or a way to showcase themselves to the Big 12 when they eventually expand again to get a championship game.

Finding the games won't be as hard as you imagine. UNLV will still schedule them as they are a big draw in Vegas. They have a long term deal with Boise State. They are in negotiations with Texas Tech and Clemson for games. That alone gives them much more attractive schedule than they ever had in the Mountain West. In one year they could be playing Texas, Notre Dame, Boise St, Texas Tech, Clemson, Utah, Hawai'i, Utah St, UNLV, then find three more teams (probably at least one FCS) and they are booked. That also gives them an attractive slate of games for ESPN and justifies the extra money they will get over their continued membership in the MWC.

In addition, they may know something about the Big12, they could be lining up to receive an invite. We don't know at this point, as conference realignment is still a very fluid situation.

And I definitely agree that there is a bit of jealously on the part of Utah getting asked to dance:p They certainly don't want to be seen as the #2 program in the state...even though they are.

Top Bottom