College Football In Season Thread

I don't think you'll find an OSU fan who thinks they ought to be ranked #1 right now. Alabama has the belt and its theirs until they lose (hopefully to Penn State this weekend).

Marshall would beat San Jose State (the creampuff Bama played) by at least two touchdowns...the Thundering Herd won a bowl game last year.

So, any guesses which game Ohio State will first choke this year? It could certainly be as soon as next weekend. But if not, they then have two powderpuffs in a row before they face 2 mediocre Big Ten teams. Then, it doesn't look like they have much of a challenge after Wisconsin until the end of the year. Wow. Looks like they face a total of 2 decent this year, unless one of the other Big Ten teams defy the preseason prognisticators.

You have to hand it to the people who make the schedule. You have to be able to see years into the future to duck any really tough teams.

I was watching the riproaring Tulsa/East Carolina game last night. It was 45-41 with a few minutes left and the local cable provider lost the ESPN feeds. Heidi Bowled! #$%^&*

Miami (FL), Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan isn't that easy of a schedule. They would be helped out by a championship game though.

I'm all for bashing the Big 10, but they don't seem as obviously inferior this year as in year's past.

Miami (FL), Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan isn't that easy of a schedule. They would be helped out by a championship game though.

I'm all for bashing the Big 10, but they don't seem as obviously inferior this year as in year's past.

Don't forget Michigan State. Honestly, the Big Ten may be one of the best conferences in football THIS year, given that some big ticket SEC teams looked awful in week 1 (Florida, LSU), and some Big Ten teams may be better than originally thought (Michigan, Michigan State).

Ohio State plays Colorado next season, and goes on the road to Miami and Nebraska. The year after that, they play a home and home with Cal, and add Cincinnati. After Cal, there is a home and home with Virgina Tech, and another with Oklahoma, then Tennessee (the school is reportedly working on adding West Virgina, and games against Big 12 teams)

Every single major school in the country is going to play a few tune-up games with in-state schools or low majors trying to balance their athletic budget. At least Ohio State, unlike most southern schools, is willing to sign home and homes against a premier program just about every season.

Plus, "choking" with OSU is rare. In the Tressel Era, this team has almost never lost to a clearly inferior opponent (Purdue last year, Florida in 2006, and I think another league game early in Tresselball). If OSU loses, like it did to LSU in 2007, or the first USC game, it is because the other team was better. It happens sometimes.

OSU may lose to Miami or Wisconsin this year, but they won't be choking on a middling Big Ten team or something,

I'll forget Michigan State until they give me a good reason not to :p

Boise wins another big game. If Alabama loses, they would be #1 in the country next week :D

Hahaha, I appreciate your enthusiasm but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're still far, far behind, and lack-of-perspective-having is a hokie trait.

I think if at the end of the season, we have an undefeated Boise and two 1-loss "big-6" teams, Boise will get into the championship

Oh, I think that goes without saying. The only way Boise gets left out is if we have two other undefeated from the Big 12, SEC, ACC or Big Ten.

I'm really impressed by Boise's physicality. I wonder if they jump up to #2 in the polls now.

I already mentioned the two ranked opponents in that list. None of the others are. It remains to be seen how tough they really are this year.

As I've said before, I think the national rankings should take the difficulty of the schedule into far greater consideration. OSU shouldn't be playing teams like Marshall, Eastern Michigan, and Miami (O). Nor should Florida be playing Miami Univerity (not the famous one) or even Appalachian State despite a freak win against Michigan a few years ago. Texas shouldn't play teams like Rice and Florida Atlantic. And Boise State's schedule is a real joke. They shouldn't even be considered for a national championship.

Until their national rankings are suitably diminished for deliberately padding their schedules with powderpuffs, they will continue to do so.

Top Bottom