Hegemon! Of the Classical Greek World!

Hello! I am the maintainer of the upload through a Google Drive. Today I had to clear it with Google that I was not somebody else, because Google sometimes decides that I am not myself and cannot be trusted with my own account, and then I found that for ‘security reasons’ people trying to download the scenario from my drive had been blocked. I've checked and it's available for anybody with the link, but Google did warn me that it had ‘changed security settings’ (see the above result, a repeated occurrence, with it declaring that it doesn't know who I am and sending a security alert to a backup account to boot). If anybody's having any trouble, please contact me here on CFC, either here in this thread or privately. It should allow people to download it. Emphasis on should.

My view is that Google and All Things "Alphabet," along with the equally vile Amazon, are lepers … indispensable lepers - and I'll stop there [pissed]

- Far more important: I thank you for being the Maintainer (even though that moniker does sound like a euphemism for an, um, "irregular" occupation.)

:D

- as an aside, you can get "™" on Windows by pressing ALT then "0153."

:D :D

DOWNLOAD HEGEMON v1.45 HERE

(Look out for the old 'folder within a folder' trap! Make sure there isn't a Hegemon/Hegemon folder situation going on. There can only be room for ONE Hegemon.)

Hello! I am the maintainer of the upload through a Google Drive. Today I had to clear it with Google that I was not somebody else, because Google sometimes decides that I am not myself and cannot be trusted with my own account, and then I found that for ‘security reasons’ people trying to download the scenario from my drive had been blocked. I've checked and it's available for anybody with the link, but Google did warn me that it had ‘changed security settings’ (see the above result, a repeated occurrence, with it declaring that it doesn't know who I am and sending a security alert to a backup account to boot). If anybody's having any trouble, please contact me here on CFC, either here in this thread or privately. It should allow people to download it. Emphasis on should.

Sooo... I just tried to use that link and a "page not found" error. Any ideas?

I use translator.

Hi. I started playing this wonderful script again. I play Ilyria and I have a problem. What should I do to make an offering? I have a sacrificial altar, I have a unit that, according to civilopedi, I can sacrifice, but when I bring her to the city, nothing happens. There is no additional command. Does it need any science or other structures? Help :)

I use translator.

Hi. I started playing this wonderful script again. I play Ilyria and I have a problem. What should I do to make an offering? I have a sacrificial altar, I have a unit that, according to civilopedi, I can sacrifice, but when I bring her to the city, nothing happens. There is no additional command. Does it need any science or other structures? Help :)

So in civ3, there needs to be about 3 different things to allow sacrifice. 1: Unit - 2: Building - and 3: The Tech. Been a while since I played Hegemon, but a quick look at the pedia shows for Illyria, the Tribal Altar allows sacrifice, and the tech Ceremony enables the ability.

Hey Takhisis! I just tried the download, and it says "Access Denied", and "Request access, or switch to an account with access. Learn more". I send a message via that form, but it's definitely not an ideal experience for users seeking to download the scenario, especially if they don't know an active poster is probably getting their messages.

Is there any difference between the version you uploaded and the one @Node60 uploaded? From the dates, it looks like you both re-uploaded it at about the same time, likely both from register's temporary upload. I have Node60's version locally, which looks like this:

upload_2022-7-13_16-26-24.png

Based on the dates of Civilopedia.txt in the Text folder and in the Path v1.5.zip file, it appears that although the BIQ is v1.5, the rest of the patch is not applied; the user would have to do that after the download, which it looks like I did locally in my uncompressed version.

If what you have is the same, I'm currently favoring switching the Download Database link to point to the one Node60 uploaded. I've run into the same "you need to request access" for other Google-hosted mods a few times over the years, and haven't run into any similar access issues with cloud.ru, so overall it seems to be the more reliable host, even with the current war.

I don't have Node60's version to check, but it's probably the same because by that time Rambuchan hadn't made any further modifications, fixes, or updates to it.

I don't know how the war can affect things regarding access to .ru domainsm but anyway I need to get it sorted out because I can't have Google messing with my uploads and telling me I cannot use or share them!

Edit: there was a message buried among 500-odd unread ones.
A security update will be applied to Drive
On 13 September 2021, Drive will apply a security update to make file sharing more secure. This update will change the links used for some files, and may lead to some new file access requests. Access to these files won't change for people who have already viewed them.​

This was applied globally to all uploads.
I've changed the resource so that the new link, which Google says will work, will work.
Edit: I've also done it for the desert and the mountain one, as well as two others for which I never created a resource.

Last edited:
I don't have Node60's version to check, but it's probably the same because by that time Rambuchan hadn't made any further modifications, fixes, or updates to it.

I don't know how the war can affect things regarding access to .ru domainsm but anyway I need to get it sorted out because I can't have Google messing with my uploads and telling me I cannot use or share them!

Edit: there was a message buried among 500-odd unread ones.
A security update will be applied to Drive
On 13 September 2021, Drive will apply a security update to make file sharing more secure. This update will change the links used for some files, and may lead to some new file access requests. Access to these files won't change for people who have already viewed them.​

This was applied globally to all uploads.
I've changed the resource so that the new link, which Google says will work, will work.
Edit: I've also done it for the desert and the mountain one, as well as two others for which I never created a resource.

Don't ask me why, but it works for the Desert and the Mountain one, but for this one I still get a "You need access" message, or if using a browser where I'm not signed into Google, a "Sign in to continue to Google Drive" message.

I'm not really sure what Google considered to me "more secure" beyond "it can't be downloaded by anyone other than the uploader anymore", but from a longevity standpoint, these sorts of "security" updates from Google are concerning.

I don't think there's any danger of .ru domains disappearing altogether, it was more financial stability that would be a concern for cloud.ru, and the potential for Yahoo-style cost-cutting by retiring old services, or old files from current services. It appears they're owned by Vkontakte, so they probably aren't in any danger of imminent financial collapse. I'd still rather have backup sources (a statement which appears to Mediafire uploads too, no idea how financially stable they are), but I'd put it as more likely that Google will break links than cloud.ru based on their historical records.

Edit: Did you remember to type in a version number when you updated the Downloads Database link? If you don't enter one (it can be the same as the previous one), the changes don't actually stick. That got me last week, and we're hoping the forum upgrade this weekend improves that workflow as it's a "gotcha".

Edit 2: It's working now! It was indeed the Downloads Database "gotcha" that caused it to not work on the first database update.

Last edited:
Edit: it's working NOW.

It's completely silly that the software requires a changed version number when I'm just updating the link because the external host has changed it but the entire file is the same. Hopefully the upgrade to Xenforo v.2 will help with this. Hopefully?

Hello fellow enjoyers of Rambuchan's katapliktikí douleiá (was going to say magnum opus, but that seems heretically Roman). If anyone is interested, I've done a minor update of Hegemon 1.5 that tweaks a couple things.

Changes:
  • Shifted some of the faction colors around, as my own personal preference is to see Sparta with the Red color and Athens with the Blue. To get there, I gave the yellow color to Thessaly and purple to Macedon. And seeing how Macedon's tribal resource is already purple, that didn't seem crazy.
  • Illyria Rework - when I originally looked over the tech tree for Illyria, I noticed that a lot of their units in the Archaic Age were kind of......redundant. The Giapid units and the Scordisci units had many of the same combat stats, and just didn't seem like you had any reason to use them over other units. So to liven the unit roster up a bit, I moved the units around and adjusted the unit stats/abilities to make them more unique, while not changing the general balance of Illyria vs. the civilized Greeks.
    • Giapid Blood Drinkers and Giapid Spears remain unchanged. The Blood Drinkers are possibly the best unit unlocked by Wrestling tech, while the Giapid Spears are your best (albeit relatively weak) defender as Archaic Illyria.
    • Giapid Horsemen originally cost 10 shields more than Giapid Blood Drinkers, had the same or worse stats, and required horses. Now, they have Stealth Attack and are unlocked with Warrior Code instead of the Chariot tech. This gives them some utility at picking off weak support units while your other units do the heavy lifting.
    • Breucanian Hillmen now have the Enslave ability (creating Doulos workers), so while they are weaker than most other late Archaic swords, they can be used to generate free workers for the Illyrian economy. Combined with your enslaving Blood Drinkers, you have a strong incentive to raid and attack your neighbors.
    • Scordisci Flesh Eaters were originally 4/2/2 units in the Archaic Age unlocked with Warrior Code that enslaved to Enemies just like the Blood Drinkers. Breucanians were already better attackers, while the Blood Drinkers already had the enslave Enemy angle covered. They have now been moved to the Classical Age and buffed to match. Unlocked with Hard Iron, they are now 8/2/2, cost 80, require Iron, enslave to Enemy, ignore hills, and are the upgrade for the Blood Drinker and the Breucanian Hillmen.
    • Scordisci Riders were originally 4/2/2 units unlocked by Warrior Code that required horses and......I think you can see the problem. They lacked any clear purpose. Now, they fill the mid-tier cavalry slot for Illyria. Also unlocked by Hard Iron, they are 6/3/3, ignore hills, have a stealth attack, and upgrade from Giapid Horsemen.
    • Autaritae Spears are unchanged. Weak spears, but the best defender you get as Illyria.
    • Autaritae Skirmishers were originally a Hegemonic Age unit with 10/2/2 stats making them the Illyrian alternative to the Thureophoroi. To me, it made more sense to group the similar named units together, so I moved them to early Classical in the same general zone as the Autaritae Spears. Now, they are unlocked with Map Making in conjunction with your unique ship unit. Their stats are now 6/2/2 and they have the usual ignore hills bonus, but this time combined with Blitz and Amphibious attack. The intent of this unit is that it arrives right about when the player is ready to undertake some sea-borne raiding of the Adriatic Coast.
    • Hastatus was originally a Classical Age unit unlocked with Hard Iron. However, this seemed kind of weird since the other "Roman" unit were all Hegemonic. As such, I have moved them to Standing Army, buffed their stats to 11/3/2 with some bombard, let them ignore hills, gave them a ZOC, and boosted their HP by 1. There are other, better Greek units unlocked at the same time, but the Hastatus is still pretty good. The other Hegemonic Illyrian units remained unchanged, since this is really just the Hastatus taking the place of the Autariate Skirmisher. Scordisci Flesh Eaters upgrade to Hastatus, and Scordisci Riders upgrade to Eques.
    • Long story short: I moved units around so that Archaic Illyria features Giapid and Breucanian units, Classical Illyria relies on Autaritae and Scordisci units, and Hegemonic Illyria features Dardanian and "Roman" units. Unit stats were adjusted to fit their new place in the tech progression, and to give each unit some sort of identity.
All that ended up being changed was the Biq and the Civilopedia text file so that the unit descriptions wouldn't be confusing. Feel free to try it out.

Attachments

• HegemonUpdate.zip
    299.1 KB · Views: 19
First of all, I'll leave a recently-recorded piece of music which sounds as if it had been taken out of the Hegemon soundtrack.

No, regarding your announced changes:

Chromata - Athens already has a blue-and-white owl so it's congruent. Sparta and their traditional red cloaks also make for an historically accuracy. Royal purple for the Macedonians? Maybe. Why are the Thessalians yellow? (I don't object in any case)

Illyria - I have yet to play a faction that is close enough for them to matter. Given that they are ruled by the civ3 AI all that happens is that sooner or later they build a huge stack of units and send them over to my Ægean civs (Corinth and Athens preferentially) through a multitude of unprotesting intervening polities and attack me in my own homeland, where it's just a horde of mixobarbaroi hurling themselves onto my troops, one after the other.
How do the Illyrians fare in the early stages? I'm authentically curious as to how they play out.

Originally, Athens had the yellow faction color, Sparta the blue, Macedon the red, and Thessaly the purple. I've seen Macedon use the purple color in other games, and their tribal resource is purple as well, so I figured they should get purple after giving red to Sparta. No idea what color Thessaly should be, but saw no reason why it shouldn't be yellow.

Yes, my experience with AI Illyria is that they just send a steady stream of painted and/or shirtless dudes in large stacks across my Macedonian lands to murder random border gore settlements created by the southern Greeks. I'm starting a play-through as Illyria now just to see how they feel.

‘Random border gore settlement’ is a phrase for the ages. Do tell how the play-through went.

Interesting early game so far. I'm so far away from people that I missed out on the early tech trades, and now I'm quite solidly behind. But then again, Illyria wasn't known for their superior tech, so who cares. Plenty of land to settle, which is pretty nice. Macedon tried to bully me early on, we got into a big war, and their annoying stacks of Paeonians took a couple towns that I quickly reconquered. I eventually paid the small fine just to stop their annoying stream of dudes. I earned quite a few sacrificial lambs, which makes me wish that there was a cultural victory enabled. Oh well.

Giapid Blood Drinkers are fantastic. Easy hill moves, best combat stats for early archaic, and you get sacrificial lambs to boost your border culture and grab tiles that way. Thankfully, they require no resources. One negative to the Illyrian start position is that you don't have copper/horses/tin/etc easily accessible. Just another incentive for aggressive border expansion via mass Blood Drinkers. Locris is grabbing some territory I want, and they're a bottom tier civ, so they're my new target.

The Lokroi can get troublesome in the mid-game.

Or at least they do so when they behave like the typical Civ3 AI in the epic game which lags behind on tech so cannot build AIs and instead stacks archers and tries to break you by trying.
One such AI tried it on me recently by attacking a walled city defended by pikemen and swordsmen. It was a massacre and I got an army+golden age out of it.

I played recently (as Corinth - btw, why does it have an ypsilon in the mod?) and discovered that some of the important islands (eg with Dye and full naval resources) are guarded by loads of npc units. After that I quit, because I only had sent one trireme with a strong defensive unit and worker/settler ^_^

Island of Samos presumably? Whenever I last played Athens, I just swarmed it with amphibious toxotoi and followed up later with Champions.

Top Bottom