ISDG 2012 - Server Announcements, Connection Issues and Questions

This warring team is.

This being WPC.

Team GWT is not.
We're sorry for the delay, but actually we just have our turn players and lack in activity of our planning staff. So we do the obvious stuff and hope the others chime in to have a look at the details before we hit the enter button. War makes it even worse in our situation.

Btw
We need 2 days for a turn, so we can't decide to 1 day.
For us it's not important, if WPC play in 4 hours.

Attachments

• apt-message.jpg
    apt-message.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 259
Team GWT is not.
We're sorry for the delay, but actually we just have our turn players and lack in activity of our planning staff. So we do the obvious stuff and hope the others chime in to have a look at the details before we hit the enter button. War makes it even worse in our situation.

I understand that, but the point is that most times you have not hit the enter button, even in peacetime. That means the time from your last log in to when the turn timer runs out is simply wasted time for all teams.

And, IMHO, that's not fair to the other teams in the game.

Got an Out Of Sync error when I just connected to the game as RealmsBeyond, probably with Inao of CivFr. Logged out and didn't take any in-game action.

We're sorry for the delay, but actually we just have our turn players and lack in activity of our planning staff. So we do the obvious stuff and hope (Ruff: my emphasis) the others chime in to have a look at the details before we hit the enter button. War makes it even worse in our situation.

A friendly suggestion - set up a dummy game that mirrors your pitboss game use that for testing, planning, preparation for playing the actual turn. That way, your planning staff can look at alternatives outside of the game and your team be prepared to play most of the turn before it even starts.

Obviously, you cannot cover random items or actions from other teams, but you can play 80-90% of each turn this way.

Also - you don't have to hope that they chime in as your turn player will have a fully documented list of things to do.

I understand that, but the point is that most times you have not hit the enter button, even in peacetime. That means the time from your last log in to when the turn timer runs out is simply wasted time for all teams.

And, IMHO, that's not fair to the other teams in the game.

RealmsBeyond fully supports the above.

Got an Out Of Sync error when I just connected to the game as RealmsBeyond, probably with Inao of CivFr. Logged out and didn't take any in-game action.

I will, for good measure, restart the PB because of this.

The Pitboss has been restarted.

Proposal Summary

Still have to hear from some teams ...

Team RB has asked me to post the following:

Proposal: Turn timer decrease from the current allotment to 24hrs

Code:
Apolyton          YES
Civfanatics       ?
Civforum.de       NO
CivFR             ?
CivPlayers        ?
Realms Beyond     YES
Spanish Apolyton  YES
UniversCiv        ?
WePlayCiv         YES

Spoiler Team Votes :

Please let me know if I have misunderstood, missed or misrepresented any team votes.
WPC could live with 20 hrs.
Spanish team agree :goodjob:
I also would like to see shorter turns, but only if the warring teams are comfortable with that.

(team Aployton)
We need 2 days for a turn, so we can't decide to 1 day.

A friendly suggestion - set up a dummy game that mirrors your pitboss game use that for testing, planning, preparation for playing the actual turn. That way, your planning staff can look at alternatives outside of the game and your team be prepared to play most of the turn before it even starts.

Obviously, you cannot cover random items or actions from other teams, but you can play 80-90% of each turn this way.

Also - you don't have to hope that they chime in as your turn player will have a fully documented list of things to do.

RealmsBeyond fully supports the above.

The problem is not to know how to do it. We lack the people doing it ;-)

CivFR : NO, excepted if some teams go on not validating their turn after playing it.

The German team did not end their turn again. Flunky last logged out at 5:26PM yesterday. The turn rolled at 12:01 am this morning (civ stats runs on GMT-8). That's another 6 hours of wasted time.

Also, had they ended their turn when they were last logged in, we probably could have gotten our turn in last evening.

Are you on the German team aware of what you are doing? That you have to hit 'enter' or the EOT button to end your turn?

It is very simple,
There is one who played, and then is a diskussion about it, when there is no more diskussion, somebody log in and make Changes or not.
So the look at civStat gives no info about it.

It is very simple,

I agree that it is very simple.

There is one who played, and then is a diskussion about it, when there is no more diskussion, somebody log in and make Changes or not.

That is exactly what we do as well. But when we are finished our last change, or if there are no more changes, we end our turn.

That is the part I do not understand. Why do you not end your turn? You are the last team we are all waiting for, and if you do not end your turn, the turn timer runs to the maximum, and needlessly so.

If during that last period (last turn being the 6 hours from when you last logged in to the end of the turn timer), you decide there are no more changes, then please log in and hit enter to end the turn.

Yes it does. It indicates when you have logged in and out, and whether or not you have 'finished' your turn by hitting enter.

I agree that it does not show the discussion that it is going on in your forum, and it is possible that you are discussing things right up to the point when the turn is going to roll, and then decide not to make any changes, but it seems unlikely that that happens most turns for you.

But, this is the last I am going to say about it. The other teams do not seem overly bothered, and the admin is nowhere to be found.

Ok, now I am here ;)

On the German team not ending their turns, TBH I do not see anything in the ruleset that forbids that kind of action explicitly ( if someone disagrees , can you kindly point me out the rule in question ? ). I know, it is not a cool action to take and I'm highly tempted to punish them if they do not start closing their turns. But at this moment I think I'll let this pass ...

So in resume:

Moderator Action: If the german team fails to finish their turn again until the end of this week, they will be punished ( the punishment is to be discussed with the teams if it is needed ) . Think on this as a last warning

This is just my personal opinion guys but I would urge everyone to relax and just play the turns when they come up. :) It's the nature of these games to take time. I really can't fault a team for using the time that has been alotted to them.

Now don't get me wrong, there have been many a game where I have been biting my nails and refreshing civstats every 30 mins. I want instant gratification as much as the next guy :D

But I can also remember a few games where my team needed every minute on that clock. So whenever I am feeling like the game is going too slow I just crack open a beer and browse the off-topic forum here :beer:

It is very simple,

its not really necessary to log in... from the aptmod.com page the leader of the civ can finish the turn. check the "finnish turn" buttom

I don't get this: why does the timer increases after a team ends its turn? (for this turn the timer increased after CFC ended their turn)

The mod apparently doesn't use a split turn timer during war, but a doubled turn timer.

A quick example, using three teams: team A is at war with team B, and team C is at peace. Team A is first in the war turn order. The time is set at 24 hours.

When a turn starts, the timer for team A and team C starts to tick. After 10 hours team A ends turn, and now the timer for team B starts.

Now team A and C shows a timer of 14 hours (their timer), but team B has a timer of 24 hours. If team C doesn't end their turn, their timer will first run down to zero, but once their time is out the game will switch to showing team B's timer, which will show another 10 hours. Ie, the actual turn length will be:

time until team A ended turn PLUS team B's turn timer

In the worst case (neither team A nor team B ends turn) the turn will take 48 hours here.

At least this is the way we at team Realms Beyond has interpreted what is happening.

A quick example, using three teams: team A is at war with team B, and team C is at peace.

This example has a bit of confusion in it between B and C. I believe that if you say "A and C are at war" instead, it will make sense.

check the "finnish turn" buttom

Incidentally, this is also the button to click if you need to rotate people from Finland. :cool:

Top Bottom