Votes: 55 56.1%
  • Good

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Fair

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
Moderator Action: Unfortunately, beboy's version of the eruption animation probably violates copyright. No artwork from Conquests may be posted here.

It's possibly questionable whether this rule applies to beboy's file, since it's not exactly the original file, but it's better to play it safe. Sorry, guys. One alternative is to look for a different eruption animation online and flicify it - this can work pretty well.

Plotinus said:
No artwork from Conquests may be posted here.
Really? Do you mean that material from Conquests can be used by other companies to make other games or what? Because C3C can't work just with an animation file! Or do you mean that you can post artwork from Vanilla and PTW, but not from Conquests?

I believe that (according to Firaxis' decisions) Vanilla is OK, and I think PTW is too. Conquests isn't, though. Remember that copyright isn't about what you need to make a game function, it's simply about the work that a company has made, including all the bits and pieces that go to make up a complete product. So even an individual graphic or animation is copyright, and the company has the right to insist that it not be distributed. Whether they're wise to do so or not isn't really here or there.

@ROTCWinter: I sent you 2 Private Message concerning this. Let me know what you think. I guess you can use the file if you already downloaded it. It is just forbidden to post it as is on the Forum. However, you can ask a Moderator to be sure.
:(

One word, one question: Gollum? :hmm: You must have already thought about him I guess... But it might be difficult to determine how to integrate him to the scenario...
Anyway, if you are interested in adding him in the mod, I recommend using embryodead's Snotling for its animation.

I do have some ideas on how to integrate him though. Maybe add a square of terrain unreachable by wheeled units just beside Mount Doom with Gollum over it... And all other terrains beside Mount Doom could be made non passable by all units (like this square of flooded plain terrain near Osgiliath). This way, in the 8 tiles touching Mount Doom tile, only one would allow access to the volcano, and Gollum would be on this tile. Sam and Frodo won't have another option than to defeat him to bring the Ring to Mount Doom..

If you do so, maybe just make sure Gollum will be on a tile unreachable by Gandalf's bombardment when this one is outside Mordor!!!!

beboy said:
One word, one question: Gollum? :hmm: You must have already thought about him I guess... But it might be difficult to determine how to integrate him to the scenario...
Anyway, if you are interested in adding him in the mod, I recommend using embryodead's Snotling for its animation.

I do have some ideas on how to integrate him though. Maybe add a square of terrain unreachable by wheeled units just beside Mount Doom with Gollum over it... And all other terrains beside Mount Doom could be made non passable by all units (like this square of flooded plain terrain near Osgiliath). This way, in the 8 tiles touching Mount Doom tile, only one would allow access to the volcano, and Gollum would be on this tile. Sam and Frodo won't have another option than to defeat him to bring the Ring to Mount Doom..

If you do so, maybe just make sure Gollum will be on a tile unreachable by Gandalf's bombardment when this one is outside Mordor!!!!

Hey thanks for the animation link! But yea, to integrate him is going to be a like tricky, I like your idea about gollum.:goodjob:

Another idea that i was thinking about, was making him have no attack and defense and put him on the entrance into the dead marshes and when frodo and sam find him, they will capture him,(like a worker would be captured)

When they capture him, maybe he would have the ability, radar, to allow frodo and sam uncover more fog of war. But I am not sure about this idea because how would he threaten frodo and sam when they are about to throw the ring into mount doom since he would be controlled by the good guys, hmmmmmmm. I was also thinking of having smeagol being the first stage, and he would upgrade into gollum in Gondor, but what do you guys think. I also like beboy's idea well too.

ROTCWinter said:
Hey thanks for the animation link! But yea, to integrate him is going to be a like tricky, I like your idea about gollum.:goodjob:

Another idea that i was thinking about, was making him have no attack and defense and put him on the entrance into the dead marshes and when frodo and sam find him, they will capture him,(like a worker would be captured)

When they capture him, maybe he would have the ability, radar, to allow frodo and sam uncover more fog of war. But I am not sure about this idea because how would he threaten frodo and sam when they are about to throw the ring into mount doom since he would be controlled by the good guys, hmmmmmmm. I was also thinking of having smeagol being the first stage, and he would upgrade into gollum in Gondor, but what do you guys think. I also like beboy's idea well too.
You idea sounds good.... Though it does make it hard for him to threaten Frodo and Sam..... Maybe have both the capturable Gollum, and an enemy one, and hope that the player's Gollum dies before you reach Mt. Doom?:crazyeye:

The Omega said:
You idea sounds good.... Though it does make it hard for him to threaten Frodo and Sam..... Maybe have both the capturable Gollum, and an enemy one, and hope that the player's Gollum dies before you reach Mt. Doom?:crazyeye:
:goodjob: lol, it would be weird though to have gollum fight gollum, or wait maybe the other can be his skitsophranic self?Hmmmm

What is everyone elses opinion as well?

ROTCWinter said:
:goodjob: lol, it would be weird though to have gollum fight gollum, or wait maybe the other can be his skitsophranic self?Hmmmm

What is everyone elses opinion as well?
Ooh! Ooh! You can have the good guys gollum be called Smeagol, and he wouldn't have any attack or defense, so he wouldn't end up fighting himself. Then the bad guys one would be gollum, and he'd be the one you'd have to fight:D :crazyeye:

The Omega said:
Ooh! Ooh! You can have the good guys gollum be called Smeagol, and he wouldn't have any attack or defense, so he wouldn't end up fighting himself. Then the bad guys one would be gollum, and he'd be the one you'd have to fight:D :crazyeye:

Now, it's up to you to decide ROTCWinter. But if you choose to have both Smeagol (good) and Gollum (evil), I guess The Omega solution would be the best one.

I you would prefer to have only Smeagol or Gollum, then I would vote for Gollum (evil-Mordor).

beboy said:
:bump:
Hey ROTCWinter, I was just dropping by to know how things were going with the update of the mod. :D I'm looking forward to play it!

hey sorry guys, havent been online much, I have had a lot of work and class projects to do but it shalll be completed once I have some free time:( .

Re: Gollum / Smeagol

Could you start with Smeagol in the dead marches with maybe a random chance of upgrade where he upgrades to Gollum ? Could special tiles or units be used to increase the upgrade probabilities with Beboys idea that it become 100% near Mount Doom ?

Alternatively could he be captured by specific unit which would trigger upgrade ?

Just some ideas from a non-Modder.

PS As a Mac player of C3C I am having trouble with the paths to files - standard problem but a new mod out soon may help.

Re: Gollum / Smeagol - further thoughts

If Smeagol is a worker unit (cannot be killed only captured) maybe he could build roads in one turn through all terrains (i.e. realistic as he knows all the hidden paths across the dead marches and through the mountains). That would make him useful as well as potentially dangerous (if he flips to Gollum). Down side is he would attract the AIs unless he also could be given invisibility.

I have a problem with this mod. I have the civilization III gold edition and I can't figure out how to get it to work with this version. I have the ancient mediterranean mod and it works fine. any advice would be helpful. sounds like a great mod and I'd like to check it out.

Top Bottom