Mayor of Boston is opposed to Chick-Fil-A in his City

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you quoted was an absolutely true statement.

It does not make it a valid rebuttal to your original point wherein the definition of marriage not changing was predicated on nothing else but the legality of interracial marriages in certain circumstances, not it's legitimacy in isolated segments of the population.

I assume you can read and therefore saw that I specifically said I wasnt claiming they did so, simply that the corrupt power is clearly there. However, if you an example:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/ex-upland-mayor-gets-2-years-in-prison.html

Officials who control the permits are fully capable of abusing that power, Im not quite sure why that concept is stunning to you.
Upland? Are you kidding me? 73K population?

And extorting money isn't anything like trying to keep a company from doing business in a particular city by forcing your employees to cite them for health infractions or deny them permits to do business. That just makes him a common white collar criminal.

What is "stunning" to me is how you are moving the goalposts after insinuating utter nonsense about the current mayors of Boston and Chicago. They simply don't have the power to "ban" companies from doing business as so many continue to falsely allege.

All the mayors have been doing is "slamming the bigot" which you agreed they should do.

The only one attempting to move the goalposts here is you and your perpetual attempts to say I am claiming more than I am. The argument simply is and always has been "does a mayor have the power to do this?" regardless of your attempts to suggest I am claiming more than that. Sure its a small town and the mayor was doing it for finance instead of politics, but it merely shows a mayor CAN do it.

And please:

http://www.uic.edu/depts/pols/ChicagoPolitics/AntiCorruptionReport_4.pdf

If people lower in the food chain can corrupt the system, a mayor would be incapable of doing so? Not that he WOULD, but COULD he? The answer is yes to me.

That's good because yet again mayors don't actually have that power. Now do they?

This means nothing as they can abuse their power/office. Seriously, this point has been totally dismantled several times now.

How would this be different if he were funding the KKK?

Well, I do believe the KKK is listed by the FBI as actually being a hate group. The groups receiving some charity from Chic-Fil-A in all this? Not so much.

Well, I do believe the KKK is listed by the FBI as actually being a hate group. The groups receiving some charity from Chic-Fil-A in all this? Not so much.

Right, that's a thing that would be different. Maybe I should start another thread.

Right, that's a thing that would be different. Maybe I should start another thread.

If you must set make anotyher thread then set it in the Chamber so that the debate can be done well as oppose to the mess that is this thread.

You mean like in the "Is Islam a violent religion?" thread?

I don't think he ever said he had an example of a mayor banning a company from doing business in a city.

I can't prove it has happened because I'm not saying it has happened, but I'd be not at all surprised to hear it if somebody like Buddy Cianci had pulled shady strings to make it prohibitively difficult for some restaurant to open. I don't believe you'd be honestly surprised either. (Indignation is different from surprise.)

There really is no legal way for a mayor to stop a business like a restaurant from operating in his city. Of course, there are numerous illegal ways he could do so including threats of violence or even actual violence. But that is why we have criminal statutes and civil courts.

An alderman or a councilman is in a slightly different position because they do have the power to deny zoning variances which are frequently needed for many businesses to operate successfully. And they can legally do so for a multitude of reasons.

Were bigots always this obsessed with trying to prove they aren't bigots? What happened to the days when you were proud to hate people? Now you have to pretend you aren't bigots with lies about government interference protests.

Were bigots always this obsessed with trying to prove they aren't bigots? What happened to the days when you were proud to hate people? Now you have to pretend you aren't bigots with lies about government interference protests.

Open bigotry isnt accepted by society, so they are forced to bend over backwards to try and prove their motivation isnt hatred. Hide behind freedom of religion to avoid public backlash.

Open bigotry isnt accepted by society, so they are forced to bend over backwards to try and prove their motivation isnt hatred. Hide behind freedom of religion to avoid public backlash.
Anyone who's listened to Maggie Gallagher over the years, as just one example, should be well familiar with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom