NZ ships banned from Pearl Harbour

JollyRoger

Slippin' Jimmy
Supporter
Yeah, 70+ years ago, our military could successfully take on Japan and Germany rather than struggle with Iraq and Afghanistan. No comparison at all.

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Given the nature of todays battlefield, i.e. anyone, regardless of their job can be killed by an IED, that term no longer is used in the military in my experience.

Protip: stop using references of what was ongoing in the military that are 70+ years old.

I stand corrected. It appears that the term REMF is still used, but it is no longer used to refer to support soldiers. It means High ranking officer with no combat experience whom gets people killed.

A top officer in the military or a civilian with great influence over the service, it is a person who calls the shots from an armchair with little care about the kids whom their decisions will be effecting or the parents who will be getting bodybags for Christmas.

One who has no frontline or combat experience, and therefore makes huge errors at expense of human life.

The REMF's decisions make sense only if you think of human beings as statistics. This is the main problem with REMFs- they think of people as numbers.

Not to rain on Mobboss but support personal even in combat zones are still given degrading names and still being looked down on. Wasnt there a huge scandal over officer wearing unawarded combat badges, being called out on it and then committing suicide ?

Wow we really have de-railed this thread lol

classical_hero

In whom I trust
Well the method of war was totally different back then than it is now. If we fought them like we did back in WW2, then this would be over, but rather than trying to get them to submit to the power of the military and face possible destruction, we are trying win the hearts and minds bynot killing innocent people.

NickyJ

Retired Narrator
Exactly. In WWII, the enemy wore actual uniforms and fought in an organized fashion. Now we're fighting a war against an enemy that wears civilian clothing doing suicide bombings.

MobBoss

Off-Topic Overlord
We crushed them in 4 years instead of accomplishing nothing in 10....

Rofl, Cutlass, if we had mobilized against Iraq and Afghanistan to the extent we did in WWII, how long do you think these wars would have really taken?

Give me a friggin break.

Well the method of war was totally different back then than it is now. If we fought them like we did back in WW2, then this would be over, but rather than trying to get them to submit to the power of the military and face possible destruction, we are trying win the hearts and minds bynot killing innocent people.

Exactly. In WWII, the enemy wore actual uniforms and fought in an organized fashion. Now we're fighting a war against an enemy that wears civilian clothing doing suicide bombings.

Not to mention we werent so cautious as regards civilian casualties and collateral damage either.

Rofl, Cutlass, if we had mobilized against Iraq and Afghanistan to the extent we did in WWII, how long do you think these wars would have really taken?

Give me a friggin break.

The initial invasions of Iraq [and Afghanistan] took weeks, it's the post-invasion occupation that was dragging on for years on end. Mobilizing more troops wouldn't have made a significant difference if the mission was equally ridiculous.

Patroklos

Deity
Not to rain on Mobboss but support personal even in combat zones are still given degrading names and still being looked down on.

The stupid and unprofessional ones. Any member of the military whether officer or enlisted learns to appreciate their support folks or they will find themselves out of the service pretty quick due to nonattainment.

In the end its the support guys who have the hard to aquire and grow professional skills. Combat arms are the easiest types to grow. That's not an insult, just reality and any commander knows this and guards his rear echelon folks jealously.

Then again, there is no rear echelon in the Navy. We all go down with the ship.

Wasnt there a huge scandal over officer wearing unawarded combat badges, being called out on it and then committing suicide ?

This happens every once and awhile to combat arms and staff types alike. The most famous case was ADM Boorda, then Chief or Naval Operations who committed suicide after the news media accused him of wearing unearned "V" devices, something his commander in Vietnam (an ex CNO ADM Zumwalt, a heavy hitter in Navy circles) refuted. He should not have had the "V" by statute as they were not specifically mentioned in the citations for his NAM and COM, the confusion being that not all NAMs and COMs awarded in wartime get a "V."

Boorda was a Surface Warfare Officer, posted to and commanding several warships.

MobBoss

Off-Topic Overlord
I stand corrected. It appears that the term REMF is still used, but it is no longer used to refer to support soldiers. It means High ranking officer with no combat experience whom gets people killed.

Exactly where do you get your information? 'Cause i've never heard it used that way.

Top Bottom