Random Rants LXVI: NO, **YOUR** THREAD TITLES SUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitler is love, Hitler is life? :o

@Lohren: the vast majority of people will simply never be anything special in their field anyway. Including those who were great uni students. Most of those end up in some secondary education or at best uni level professor job, where they'll never be even a footnote on their field. In that sense it literally doesn't matter if you are not the best in your class. And you are a teen (i think?), so you are in a very difficult phase of your life anyway. If you get through it one has to suppose things will be better.

How was your Japan trip? We can has travel stories? :)

Sorry I just saw this. There are a lot of stories! (To keep in theme with the thread) Like for example the man who yelled at me at the fish market. But I'm unsure of and/or undecided about the format of the storytelling.

Write your own CYOA taking place in a Japanese fish market, warupusu-san!
Well I've already explained that's the problem
For some reason you're still alive. Get on with it.

(also, see the raves thread)

Rant: I've had a very strange week emotionally, back and forth with a fear of relapse.

However, the combo of my school's cultural festival with the Cubs win I think will give me the energy to ride this out. Festival was more fun than I thought it would be and the Cubs winning, well, I barely follow baseball other than rooting for the team and even I'm ecstatic. As a Chicago cultural icon, I never though I'd experience the day. Just wish I was in Chicago when it happened, as opposed to the other side of the world.

I'm sorry for you loss Valka and I can sympathize with your disconnected feelings.

If there's one thing Canadians are good at, it's indignation over Remembrance Day and the commercialization of poppy purchasing. Our own special brand of weird cult-like patriotism.

Maybe it is due to the poetic symbolism, the poppy plant being the first/easiest to be born onto recently upset ground (like the one hit by artillery).

Btw, there is no mention of any poppy here. Greece wasn't particularly active in ww1, although it was allied to the Entente and this allowed the retreat of the serbian army to Corfu.

I guess this isn't exactly a rant but I answered a Facebook question of what color underwear I'm wearing with the last food I ate and had a hard time answering blue samosa while also trying to explain in Kurdish to the people around me why I was bursting out laughing.

(spirit hugs) Deeply sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry for you loss Valka and I can sympathize with your disconnected feelings.
Thanks, guys.

I've been pondering whether or not to tell my dad. It was one thing when my mother died; I knew he still remembered her, and he would ask how she was, even after she and I stopped speaking. My aunt couldn't understand why it mattered that he know about my mom, but I told her that in all the decades since they divorced, he never said anything derogatory about her or tried to turn me against her (unlike my mother, who did both of those about my dad). And I was raised that when close family dies, it's a duty to let immediate or other close family know.

This time it doesn't seem like the same sense of duty. I don't recall that they were particularly close, and I doubt he remembers his former mother-in-law.

If there's one thing Canadians are good at, it's indignation over Remembrance Day and the commercialization of poppy purchasing. Our own special brand of weird cult-like patriotism.
Who's indignant now? Are they complaining about people who do buy them or who don't? I remember some argument over white poppies, or counterfeit poppies. I don't get a new poppy every year, unless I can't find the previous year's one. I suppose I should wear it next Tuesday (I'm going to a flu clinic that's held at a seniors' centre). They tend to work their way out of a person's coat really easily, though.

I think it's important to remember the horrors of past conflicts so that they never happen again. But the poppy thing.. yeah... People are even more militant about that in the UK from what I've heard
Remembering is what's important, whether a person wears a poppy or not. I do feel vaguely guilty if I don't have one, but that's a product of what Canadian kids are taught in school, right from the first grade. And of course it's going to be nonstop Remembrance Day programming next Friday. As I do every year, I'll be watching the Parliament Hill ceremony.

Who's indignant now? Are they complaining about people who do buy them or who don't?

The usual annual tweets by public figures who not-so-subtly imply the lack of purchasing a poppy means you are literally spitting in the faces of any veteran to ever exist ever and you hate them all.

Because reasons.

The usual annual tweets by public figures who not-so-subtly imply the lack of purchasing a poppy means you are literally spitting in the faces of any veteran to ever exist ever and you hate them all.

Because reasons.
Ah, okay. I don't pay much attention to what happens on Twitter. I used to have an account, but after it was hacked and I suddenly started getting "thank you for following me" messages from musicians I'd never heard of, I nuked the account.

Finally got around to watching Star Trek: Beyond, and I wasn't impressed by it. I didn't think the new Star Trek movies could get any worse after somehow getting less diverse than a movie made 30 years ago, but somehow, they managed.

Finally got around to watching Star Trek: Beyond, and I wasn't impressed by it. I didn't think the new Star Trek movies could get any worse after somehow getting less diverse than a movie made 30 years ago, but somehow, they managed.
You actually expected a nuTrek movie to be any good?

The only good Star Trek stuff being produced now is Star Trek Continues. They managed to be the only major fan film company that hasn't been shut down by CBS.

You actually expected a nuTrek movie to be any good?

The only good Star Trek stuff being produced now is Star Trek Continues. They managed to be the only major fan film company that hasn't been shut down by CBS.
I try and avoid being a curmudgeon who instinctively assumes all new stuff is terrible.

I try and avoid being a curmudgeon who instinctively assumes all new stuff is terrible.
When it comes to nuTrek, I come by my curmudgeonly opinions honestly. The first two movies were crap. Even Leonard Nimoy couldn't make them watchable. From what I saw of the trailer for the third movie, it's no better.

No, I haven't seen this third movie yet. It's going to have to wait until I can see it free, either on TV or Netflix. I'm not paying extra for this stuff.

Start Trek 2009 was good though admittedly more action-oriented than older Trek shows and movies. I don't care much for the 2nd one with Cumberbatch and though I bought this latest one, I don't have high hopes for it. It arrived last week in the mail and I haven't put aside time to watch it.

The second one was a cheap ripoff of Wrath of Khan, that included magic blood, magic transporters, and apparently nuChekov must eat a lot of spinach, to have the strength to hold on to himself and others much heavier than himself when the gravity goes wonky (yes, I'm aware that the actor died; my disdain is for his character). What I found most ridiculous about the ending (besides the magic blood that saves nuKirk) is that a starship crashes into the city and people only a few blocks away don't even notice. It's obvious that this was meant to evoke memories of 9/11, and while I wasn't there physically, people noticed something was going on from more than a couple of blocks away, didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom