Random Rants LXXII - What is wrong with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't a reference to comedians in cars or Seinfeld. There are just a lot of videos on social media where dudes talk emphatically into their phone cameras while in their cars, and I don't understand why some of these videos seem to get tens of thousands of views.
I don't watch those videos, but I do think that about the comedians in cars series.

rant: hobbsyoyo is endangering our friendship

I s...kid you not, I was just emailing somebody about Lord of the Flies and afterward got a YouTube recommendation for "techniques to properly camouflage the human face".

There's no email about it - at least, not on this computer or Google login - but I actually assigned an activity about camouflage when teaching that book a few months ago.

Sometimes tailored recs are laughably bad. Sometimes they are genuinely spooky.

If you're doing it on a computer I suggest using an email client, a Google container and private browsing. And make DDG your default engine, just in case.

With limited space you'd probably be better off with an Instant Pot.

Surprisingly enough, it's on sale... and for a decent chunk of change off as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-Duo-Multi-Use-Programmable/dp/B00FLYWNYQ
I actually did find a deal listed that I want. They're offering 3 months of Kindle Unlimited for 99 cents ($9.99 after that, but it's a cancel-anytime thing, so I should be able to read a few books in those 3 months to justify the 99 cents). The deal is good until July 31.

I tried that show once and it wasn't funny. Seinfeild isn't funny in general. :mischief:
At last, someone who agrees with me.

This show is practically a religion among some people on TrekBBS and they post clips and quotes as rebuttals to arguments, as though that's supposed to mean anything if you've never watched it. So I tried it... and what a waste of lifespan.

The other day I was at a meeting at a right posh hotel in central London. No idea how much it cost, but I am sure it was a lot.
  • I emailed them before asking what the aspect ratio was of the projector, so I can optomise my pressentation. All they said was that it could handle both 4:3 and 16:9. I know any projector can handle both aspect ratios, but I want to know what it is!
  • The provided a computer to run the pressentations from, it had powerpoint but not adobe acrobat reader. The aproximatly 20% of pressenters that had their pressentation as pdf had to use their own computer, which at ~10 minutes per talk took quite a bit of the day.
  • That evening in the bar (when the most important work gets done at these meetings) at 1am they decided they would not sell us any more drink at the bar, but would deliver it to our rooms. They were at the bar, the drink was at the bar, we were at the bar, we had money. Why could they not give us the drink there?

I don't really know how to find Things like that, but I'll try to remember and see if I can't find anything despite it all
If you were German, you could also try seeking out your local Volkshochschule (spelling? = Adult education centre kind-of-thing). Since you're not, do such institutions exist in Norway?
It's July 12. Are you planning to wait until next year?
Summer in England happens sometime between the end of July and the beginning of August.
I'm in that boat too, Owen. I complicate matters by also being flat-footed and having very narrow feet.
Wait, are you me? So that's why I'm we're I'm getting no work done...

My real rant:

My Win8.1 desktop's internet connectivity has been intermittent to poor over the past couple of months (basically since the GDPR[?] legislation went through, though that's probably coincidental), and is getting still worse. Although the Windows Toubleshooter consistently reports that 'The DNS Server is not responding' (a singularly unhelpful message, whose meaning I had to look up at work), this actually seems to be a hardware problem.

Spoiler Our home internet setup, as best as I understand it :
We're getting internet + telephone (but not TV) over the TV cable, and our modem/router was supplied and installed by the cable-TV company which has the local monopoly on 'net access. The modem/router lives in the utility room just off the kitchen on the ground floor (where all the piping and cabling enters the house), and uses both our domestic electric wiring (via a LAN cable plugged into a 2-way signal converter, also supplied by Kabel Deutschland) and a WLAN-broadcast to distribute the internet signal throughout the house. The WLAN seems to be working fine (new smart(ish)TV works, as does my wife's smartphone and work-Macbook and our boys' tablets), but the signal is not strong enough to penetrate the 2 intervening concrete/rebar floors to reach the attic where the desktop lives (and I'm not sure if that even has a WLAN aerial onboard anyway).
The 'puter uses a LAN cable plugged into a(nother) 2-way signal converter to talk to the modem/router, but this converter appears to be reaching the end of its useful life, since I have to unplug it every couple of minutes, just to reset it/ the internet connection. And the cable co. can't/won't provide new boxes, nor tell us what we could buy ourselves, that would be compatible with what we have.

This has made it difficult to access CFC at home, so I'm also now wasting far too many man-hours of work-time on here (though I realise that this problem is within my power to control, if I were so inclined)...

Must remember not to post in this thread for a bit so i don't get suckered into having to start the next one.

Ack. I had a hard boiled egg for lunch. Now i feel all bloaty.....

I s...kid you not, I was just emailing somebody about Lord of the Flies and afterward got a YouTube recommendation for "techniques to properly camouflage the human face".

There's no email about it - at least, not on this computer or Google login - but I actually assigned an activity about camouflage when teaching that book a few months ago.

Sometimes tailored recs are laughably bad. Sometimes they are genuinely spooky.
In the "laughably bad" category, Amazon apparently thinks I'm interested in reading Ann Coulter's latest.

Sciatica flair up sent me to urgent care. While there I pointed out the lump in my throat that never went away. Doctor ordered a battery of tests as he thinks it might be cancer. Here's hoping he's wrong

...at 1am they decided they would not sell us any more drink at the bar, but would deliver it to our rooms. They were at the bar, the drink was at the bar, we were at the bar, we had money. Why could they not give us the drink there?

Were you shooting bullets into their ceiling and/or dancing naked on the table? :dubious:

I pointed out the lump in my throat that never went away. Doctor ordered a battery of tests as he thinks it might be cancer.

Oh @#%$*&!!. :eek2: Dr. Zkrib opines he's wrong. It's benign. If it were cancer, it would be growing.

Last edited:
Sciatica flair up sent me to urgent care. While there I pointed out the lump in my throat that never went away. Doctor ordered a battery of tests as he thinks it might be cancer. Here's hoping he's wrong

He actually said he thinks it's cancer before doing any tests or anything? That's a little... forward. Sounds kind of like a crappy doctor. I hope he's wrong too.

He had good reason. Prior history of thyroid tumors and a lack of any other lymph node swelling is not good. He wasn't bad, just honest and trying to make sure I go through with prompt screenings instead of shrugging it off as I am wont to do. The lump has been in my throat for weeks and quite large and I was not going to have it looked at until my back went out and I had no choice but to see a doctor for steroids.

But yeah here's hoping he's a crap doctor

Rant: I wasn't scared at all until I wrote this post when it hit me

Good call. Save it for the Raves thread and then you can make a rah-rah-rasputin title.
You mean like one that everybody will spend the first six pages complaining about? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom