Random Rants OA - I Have 71 Problems, But This Thread Ain't One

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's anything like banking up here, the banks are, shall we say, a little nosy and entitled.

Eh? Isn't ‘I live in X so you should send my card to X’ valid enough?

Whatever address I give them becomes attached to my name, so a connection to the grid that I have to manage. I minimize those.

Honestly this sounds like a niche market opportunity that might be worth looking into. I have a feeling there are a lot of grad students and scientists who would gladly pay someone to edit their manuscripts if the editor is versed in what some organizations/authorities think should be done. Though of course I'm probably underestimating how much time and effort it would take to get versed in something like that. But anyways if there's a university near you it might be something to look into if it's not a totally crazy idea.

As Zelig mentioned, fellow students are going to be cheaper. If they want expertise, they'd likely go with someone who has gone through the process already. Both of those categories I would not be a part of, unfortunately.

At least where I live now, academic editing is a bit of a posh endeavor. They tend to ask for transcripts, proof of degree, and sometimes even references from your previous professors! That rules me out given that I'm a high school and college dropout.

Whatever address I give them becomes attached to my name, so a connection to the grid that I have to manage. I minimize those.

Anyway, it's their responsibility if they bungled it with your card.

Honestly this sounds like a niche market opportunity that might be worth looking into. I have a feeling there are a lot of grad students and scientists who would gladly pay someone to edit their manuscripts if the editor is versed in what some organizations/authorities think should be done. Though of course I'm probably underestimating how much time and effort it would take to get versed in something like that. But anyways if there's a university near you it might be something to look into if it's not a totally crazy idea.

You're right that some scientists would be glad to have their manuscript edited, but their bosses are very unlikely willed to spend that money :/.
And there are also enough companies out there. The bigger publishers (e.g. Springer) normally have a page at their different journals with a recommendation for certain services.

Anyway, it's their responsibility if they bungled it with your card.

Sure, but as is so often the case the process of holding them accountable is more of a burden than the problem they caused.

Of course! In my experience, though, in specialized industries you tend to run into the issue that certain organizations/authorities have a very particular idea on how things should be done. Any average editor might get your content reading well but they wouldn't be much help in getting you approval since they have no idea what needs to actually be changed in order to maximize your chances.

Pretty much the same situation as with grant writing or with investment proposals. Proofreading is straight forward enough but I'm of no help in actually increasing the likelihood of success. It's something that really does require someone who knows the environment and I, well, don't. I'm not a smarty pants.
In my case, I started my business after I'd done most of my college courses. I could spot problems in anthropology and history papers that went beyond the basic mechanics, and when somebody handed me his take-home physical anthropology paper, it had a mistake that would have cost the student serious marks if left in. Since it wasn't my place to make changes other than normal spelling/grammar/punctuation fixes, I phoned him. I told him what the issue was I'd spotted and said, "If you want to fix it, tell me what to change. If you don't want to fix it, tell me and I'll leave it alone. Your decision."

So he had me read the problem paragraph to him a few times, he thought it over, and then read me the corrections he wanted to make. He was very glad I'd caught that mistake - and it's one that only another anthropology student would have caught. Some people might consider this cheating... but I knew this student well enough to realize that it was a mistake brought on by fatigue/carelessness, not by lack of understanding of the subject matter.

As for the nursing students... I learned a lot from them over the years, to the point that I was proofreading fourth-year papers and manuscripts, and sometimes ended up with entire classes as my clients (the classes were smaller at RDC than they'd be at a university). I'd get phone calls that started out tenuous, saying, "I've got this really weird paper I need to do..." and I'd say, "It's the one about Rosemary Rizzo Parse, right?"

They'd say yes, and I told them, "I've already done over a dozen of those. They don't scare me anymore." The client was relieved to hear that, relaxed, got on with writing the paper, and I got on with typing it. That particular paper had very stringent formatting requirements, with some weird terminology that had to be used.

So while familiarity with the subject matter really helps, it's also possible to learn on the job.

Except for philosophy. When it came to those papers, I just did the basic mechanics and wouldn't have a clue if they made any other errors. When the students asked my opinion of their papers, I'd say, "I know nothing about this subject, so I'll take your word for it."

I usually tried to avoid giving opinions of their papers, though. One person asked if I would guarantee that she'd get an "A". I told her that if she wrote a paper her instructor thought merited an "A", that's what she should get. I said that my guarantee was that I'd do the very best job I possibly could, and while I always hoped my clients would get good grades, I couldn't make that promise.

I just found a hole in the drain pipe from the kitchen sink in a basement closet that I don't go into very often. Looks like it's been dipping water there a long time, and now it's turned into pouring water there, and I don't know how long it's been going on, since it's been a couple of months at least since I had a reason to be in that corner.

I just found a hole in the drain pipe from the kitchen sink in a basement closet that I don't go into very often. Looks like it's been dipping water there a long time, and now it's turned into pouring water there, and I don't know how long it's been going on, since it's been a couple of months at least since I had a reason to be in that corner.

Ah, the human need for useless information. Questions:

Is the amount of cleaning up based on how long the mess took to make, or does it really just depend on how much of a mess has been made?

Is there any difference between replacing a pipe that has been broken for a week and replacing a pipe that has been broken for a year?

Not trying to be a smart ass. I struggle myself with that same brand of pointless curiosity. I'd be using the pondering as a procrastination tool to avoid fixing the pipe and cleaning up the mess.

There's a megachurch in town. Well, maybe not a 'mega' church, but I'm sure it seats many hundreds of people. Enough so that even though it is on a main road, they still need a cop to direct traffic when they fill and empty their parking lot.

But it is a main road, and not everyone using it, even on a Sunday morning, are going to the church. So what does this dumbass of a cop who is directing traffic do? He parks his car so that it is fully blocking half the road. So all the traffic that would have just passed by the traffic turning into and out of the church is instead stopped dead and forced to merge with the turning traffic, causing a 15 minute parking lot that would not have existed had the cop parked out of the way. :wallbash:

Ah, the human need for useless information. Questions:

Is the amount of cleaning up based on how long the mess took to make, or does it really just depend on how much of a mess has been made?

Is there any difference between replacing a pipe that has been broken for a week and replacing a pipe that has been broken for a year?

Not trying to be a smart ass. I struggle myself with that same brand of pointless curiosity. I'd be using the pondering as a procrastination tool to avoid fixing the pipe and cleaning up the mess.

The cleanup will depend on how damaged the wood is after it gets dried out. I can tell the panneling on the walls is warped, but I can't tell about if the shelving is just wet and muddy, or if it is starting to rot and mold.

The replacing the pipe is the same either way. But a decision must me made of how far back to cut the old pipe, or to scrap it all all the way to the sink. Copper pipes take a long time to corrode through. And this one is probably 50 years old. But once they do, it's hard to find where all the damage is. And the locations of this one are, not good for getting in there to do the work. And since it's too late to get the parts to start work tonight, I'm not going to get to it for a couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to have a mold problem, and hopefully nothing in the closet was very valuable.

I lost a lot of stuff to mold last year, when it was discovered that a pipe behind my bathroom wall had been leaking and the water had spread to the adjoining bedroom (that was being used as a library/storage room that I didn't spend a lot of time in). Thankfully I didn't lose many books, but a dresser, bookshelf, record player my dad gave me back in the '70s, pillows, towels, and other stuff all ended up in the dumpster.

Have you been coughing a lot lately? Detecting unpleasant odors in the home? Seeing suspicious brown or black streaks anywhere?

You are going to have a mold problem, and hopefully nothing in the closet was very valuable.

I lost a lot of stuff to mold last year, when it was discovered that a pipe behind my bathroom wall had been leaking and the water had spread to the adjoining bedroom (that was being used as a library/storage room that I didn't spend a lot of time in). Thankfully I didn't lose many books, but a dresser, bookshelf, record player my dad gave me back in the '70s, pillows, towels, and other stuff all ended up in the dumpster.

Have you been coughing a lot lately? Detecting unpleasant odors in the home? Seeing suspicious brown or black streaks anywhere?

There will probably be quite a bit of a mess. But I won't know how much until I dig into it. I don't know how long the leak has been bad.

some channel that runs re-runs of shows ı have already seen . When nothing on TV , ı go there and re-watch some or perhaps acquire a taste for new series . So , naturally it goes dark . Apparently payment issues with the Satellite company . Figures , now that it's not Party Media , who have everything free and with looming elections money is necessary . Apparently on a new frequency now , but the duration means ı have to watch more regular ones . Kingsman on one ; and while quite a fun , it simply leads me to thinking for current issues . Which is like totally dangerous :

avoid in case you don't like

Spoiler :
like May Goverment making all the correct sounds as New Turkey is reputedly on a trip to "beg" for money , so that the economic crisis can be avoided for two months and so that it can be endured for the coming decade with a narrative that they resist the evil West totally gloriously and heroically . Would then lead me discuss the poetic beauty of exploding heads ...

There's a megachurch in town. Well, maybe not a 'mega' church, but I'm sure it seats many hundreds of people. Enough so that even though it is on a main road, they still need a cop to direct traffic when they fill and empty their parking lot.

But it is a main road, and not everyone using it, even on a Sunday morning, are going to the church. So what does this dumbass of a cop who is directing traffic do? He parks his car so that it is fully blocking half the road. So all the traffic that would have just passed by the traffic turning into and out of the church is instead stopped dead and forced to merge with the turning traffic, causing a 15 minute parking lot that would not have existed had the cop parked out of the way. :wallbash:
I wonder if the church is paying the city for his time or if he's doing it for free or if the city is just paying for it.

Rant: I woke up feeling like crap for no reason this morning. Ugh

As the weather warmed up, every time our furnace started there would be a huge bang as too much gas was infused before ignition. It's over 30 years old, and our AC units is 25 years old, so I guess it's time to bite the bullet. It looks like around 6.5K to replace. I guess better now than after I retire.

So we bite the bullet and made an appointment for the installation for the first opening a couple of weeks from now.
But the furnace had other plans and died over the weekend. Since it seems silly to pay for a service call, no heat for a few weeks. *sigh*
Gonna call to see if they can move up the installation date but the spring is a busy time for ac companies. Fingers crossed, maybe we'll get lucky.

The weather forecast for the rest of the week
upload_2018-5-14_10-45-57.png

That seems a bit warmer than we're expecting. We'll be seeing 50's in the evenings. But as long as it's in the 70's during the day, it shouldn't cool off that much in the house at night. Maybe mid 60 to low 60's, which is tolerable.
But of course that doesn't include listening to the wife complain. ;)

That seems a bit warmer than we're expecting. We'll be seeing 50's in the evenings. But as long as it's in the 70's during the day, it shouldn't cool off that much in the house at night. Maybe mid 60 to low 60's, which is tolerable.
But of course that doesn't include listening to the wife complain. ;)
Hint, which I learned one May when I had no heat: Put a layer of newspaper between your blankets at night. You will definitely be much warmer than without them.

It's amazing how much body heat escapes otherwise.

Hint, which I learned one May when I had no heat: Put a layer of newspaper between your blankets at night. You will definitely be much warmer than without them.

It's amazing how much body heat escapes otherwise.

I wear a slightly heavier night shirt, and I follow your example. Our new cat "Ping" has to sleep in contact with some part of my body and she radiates like a little furnace. (and she'd find a way to destroy the newspaper, but I'll keep that in mind. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom