Random Rants VI: See, this is why we can't have nice things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You both assume correctly. :lol:

What is the point of having Study Abroad programs if a large majority of the classes do not transfer back to the home university?

I think it's funny that you do not know.

I think it's funny that you do not know.

Then please enlighten. When a student shells out $12,000 to go to Europe to study, the home university should at least accept the transfer credit for courses.

It seems pointless to pay $12,000 to attend a foreign university, and then end up staying at the home university for an extra semester or two since none of the classes transferred back. It is basically a really expensive vacation with homework. I'd just travel to Germany for 1/2 the price and not sleep in a dorm.

The home university wan'ts more money.

Then please enlighten. When a student shells out $12,000 to go to Europe to study, the home university should at least accept the transfer credit for courses.

It seems pointless to pay $12,000 to attend a foreign university, and then end up staying at the home university for an extra semester or two since none of the classes transferred back. It is basically a really expensive vacation with homework. I'd just travel to Germany for 1/2 the price and not sleep in a dorm.

It's about travel, widening one's perspective, learning to become a team player with different people and in general becoming more of a world citizen. I don't support the UN, but I support global democracy and intervention. If you are an isolationist that sees no value in foreign perspectives, experiences and cooperation then I can see how you think it is worthless. It's about developing yourself individually - among your peers. If you need validation from the state (in the form of credits) then you are not ready for the experience.

In my experience (and all the stories I've heard), the credits transfer anyway.

It's about travel, widening one's perspective, learning to become a team player with different people and in general becoming more of a world citizen.

I don't support the UN, but I support global democracy and intervention. If you are an isolationist that sees no value in foreign perspectives, experiences and cooperation then I can se how you think it is worthless.

It's about developing yourself individually. If you need validation from the state (in the form of credits) then you are not ready for the experience.

But we could do all of those things for a 3rd of the cost if we didn't do it with a University. Its not *that* expensive to hostel it up in Europe. Traveling abroad with a university gives you structure to go with that perspective, but if you're shelling out even MORE than typical tuition for a semester...and then an extra semester because they didn't take any of your credits, then its really an stupid investment.

But we could do all of those things for a 3rd of the cost if we didn't do it with a University.

And you would not be with your peers. And you would not have university insurance and protection. And you would not have a structured learning environment.

There's a big difference between the experience of travelling WITH peers and studying an established courseload and just going somewhere and hanging out at the hostels. Personally, I think doing the former before the latter will GREATLY enhance the latter.

And you would not be with your peers.
There are other, much cheaper ways to travel with people your own age.
And you would not have university insurance and protection.
I don't know what school you went to, but for both of the colleges I attended, that meant jack ***.

There's a big difference between the experience of travelling WITH peers and studying an established courseload and just going somewhere and hanging out at the hostels.
But what good are the classes if you don't get any credit for it? You'll just have to take them again!

Hey, if I have the choice between spending 12,000 in tuition and fees in Columbus, and spending 12,000 in tuition and fees in Brazil or France or China, get me my passport and my camera. But spending 12,000 to go to Europe...then spending ANOTHER 12,000 to take all those same classes AGAIN in Columbus because my school wouldn't count them, and then all that money I lost in wages because I have to defer entering the workforce by at least another semester...it just doesn't add up.

Hey, if you had unlimited resources, or if you school will accept the credit, you should really go. My greatest regret about how screwed up my undergraduate experience was that I'll never get to travel abroad. If your school DOESN'T accept the credit though...I think its a waste of money.

I don't know what school you went to, but for both of the colleges I attended, that meant jack ***.

It's the difference between you getting air-lifted and not in a 3rd world country.

There are other, much cheaper ways to travel with people your own age
And the same level of education and of some intellectual capacity. And trustworthy? What's your plan, a sign on the corner: "going to foreign country, need 20-30 educated people with some intellectual capability who will pay their own way to go with me... We will be learning about said country from professors from their university (which you people will pay for) and the courseload is not optional; everyone is expected to participate in the learning experience and complete homework so that you can contribute to discussion when we travel to places."

Yea, good luck organizing that.

But what good are the classes if you don't get any credit for it? You'll just have to take them again!

The cirriculum is completely different (you can't take those country-specific courses at home - complete with travel and instructers from the country in question). So, no. You can't take them again. What, do you think people take algebra in foreign countries?? No. They take sociological courses specific to that country - that's kinda the point. And since when do you not get credit??

I think some people oppose overseas study because their friends come back changed (with perspective) and those who were left behind in ignorance are not so interesting anymore and they get bitter. Perfect example: Highschool in Israel.

I have no idea why, but my stereo is not currently making any sounds.

CD plays fine in dvd player, cables seem right. WTF i have done last night..

Stay tuned for updates!

Ok

< ---- not the brightest one. INPUT! ME moron. Thought i had that correctly. ;)

I will have to give away my cat to a friend of a relative of mine. :( I completely understand that I have to do it, but it still makes me really sad... I've had him for a few years already. People who have pets know how attached you can get to those little things.

Effin' teeth. So I have a wisdom tooth sprouting. See previous rant. Gotta get it yanked. I got an appointment today to have it yanked. (I'm freakin' out all day because I don't do well with anesthesia stuff. Panic mode. No Valium or anythin', so I'm just freakin' out all day, freakin' out in the office until I figure out... I'm getting ahead of myself. But I had a crappy stressy morning.) I'm leaving for eighteen days on July 23, next Wednesday. I want to get this dealt with before I leave, because I'm pretty much not going to be able to get it dealt with where I'm goin'. So I go today, to get it yanked. Dentist says "oh, it's infected, I can't yank it today." Except less plainly, so I have to friggin yack with her for ten minutes to figure out that I'm basically screwed? She says she'll put me on antibiotics - wait, I'm allergic to penicillin, so somethin' funky, k, k - and that it's gonna take at least five days before the infection's cleared up enough so that it's yankable. At least. She's not sure, it might take longer. So dentist lady am I totally screwed? Oh, no, okay, I can get an appointment next Tuesday (four and a half days. this better work, lady) and if it's cleared up enough by then then she can yank it Tuesday. Argh. Okay. Good enough.

So she gives me a script for.. the script says "clindamycin". Here's hopin' I ain't allergic to it, I just took one ten minutes ago. While she's handing me the script for the antibiotic, she says "I gave you some Vicodin too". Well that makes things suck SUBSTANTIALLY less. So I go the pharmacy and I get my scripts and I eat my pills and now I'm tellin' y'all about it. I got a busy-ass weekend and I'm kind of ambivalent about the vics 'cause I got a lot to do, so I can't be too wacked out, but if I keep the dose low then I won't be too wacked out.

But dammit, if I can't get this thing yanked Tuesday I'm screwed. I can't be all wacked out then. I've got a big frickin' truck with a big frickin' trailer that I've got to drive on Thursday because two out of four of us are too girly to handle a big frickin' truck with a big frickin' trailer. Three dudes and only one of 'em is man enough to do it, and me. Five and a half hundred miles, and I'm half the drivin'. My friends suck.

You just reminded me that I have to make an appointment because my wisdom teeth might have to be 'yanked' to. Thanks :sad:

It's the difference between you getting air-lifted and not in a 3rd world country.

And the same level of education and of some intellectual capacity. And trustworthy? What's your plan, a sign on the corner: "going to foreign country, need 20-30 educated people with some intellectual capability who will pay their own way to go with me... We will be learning about said country from professors from their university (which you people will pay for) and the courseload is not optional; everyone is expected to participate in the learning experience and complete homework so that you can contribute to discussion when we travel to places."

Yea, good luck organizing that.

The cirriculum is completely different (you can't take those country-specific courses at home - complete with travel and instructers from the country in question). So, no. You can't take them again. What, do you think people take algebra in foreign countries?? No. They take sociological courses specific to that country - that's kinda the point. And since when do you not get credit??

I think some people oppose overseas study because their friends come back changed (with perspective) and those who were left behind in ignorance are not so interesting anymore and they get bitter. Perfect example: Highschool in Israel.

I was planning on traveling to Germany at the end of the Spring '09 semester anyway to work on my German.

Look at this list I just pulled up from my university:

Transfer Course List

Not even the Intermediate German class transfer back as a German class. I have enough General Education Credits to graduate twice. The university doesn't want me learning German, from Germans. I'd have to come back and re-take the entire class with an American teacher, shelling out more cash along the way, and delaying my professional career a semester to a year.

I was planning on traveling to Germany at the end of the Spring '09 semester anyway to work on my German.

Look at this list I just pulled up from my university:

Transfer Course List

Not even the Intermediate German class transfer back as a German class. I have enough General Education Credits to graduate twice. The university doesn't want me learning German, from Germans. I'd have to come back and re-take the entire class with an American teacher, shelling out more cash along the way, and delaying my professional career a semester to a year.

While the German would qualify for "language credit" in states that require foreign language classes, the rest are freshman year general credits. None are specific requirements for a BA or BS. What's the problem?

Why do you have so many general credits? You didn't know there were required classes?

While the German would qualify for "language credit" in states that require foreign language classes, the rest are freshman year general credits. None are specific requirements for a BA or BS. What's the problem?

Here was an Austrian Business School I was interested in until I found this transfer list.

University of Economics & Business

Since I am double-majoring in Business Economics and Finance I thought that school would be perfect, while allowing me to practice German with the locals.

The way classes are set up at SIU, the upper level courses are available only one semester. Should I go to a foreign university, at minimum I would be pushed by a year (while I am already staying an extra semester to fit in the German and Business Economics classes). I want the best bang for my buck, so it would be better to shell out $5,000 a semester here, than $12,000 overseas (not including airfare) and receive nothing in return except "perspective."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom