• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Random Rants : WE FORGOT THE ANAESTHETIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got those. Not on all the lights, but they're super common if you install a ceiling fan, at least.

I know for ceiling fans... but... well... I always wire for a wall switch and separate fan/ light controls.

I was a building Super in NY for 9 years... I know pull chains. It's just that I expected a little more modernity for a college.

"Modernity," or bourgeoisie decadence?

Decadent ones. Ones that are too good for the pull chords. Ones that hire people who do complex wiring instead of doing it yourself like a mah-n! RWARR. and stuff. I think.

Decadent ones. Ones that are too good for the pull chords. Ones that hire people who do complex wiring instead of doing it yourself like a mah-n! RWARR. and stuff. I think.

I'm a labor organizer... not a Luddite!

Electricians are workers, too, btw.

Psch. There's no compelling need to get fru fru on your fan wiring. Throw out that television remote control while you're at it! Resurgence of the Renaissance man! Install your own fans, change the oil in your car, you don't need some labor organizer skimming off the top of your efforts! :mischief:

Psch. There's no compelling need to get fru fru on your fan wiring. Throw out that television remote control while you're at it! Resurgence of the Renaissance man! Install your own fans, change the oil in your car, you don't need some labor organizer skimming off the top of your efforts! :mischief:

:rotfl:

Well played, Farm Boy... well played!

Naw, I'm just messing with you. Seriously though, I've never really understood the need to put wall switches in for overhead fans. If it's hot enough to want to cycle the air, they don't get turned on and off as often as the light, so the pull chords work pretty streamlined. Plus, I do have to admit there is the compulsion to keep the wiring in the house simple enough that my dad and I can do the super basic stuff without hiring it done, and it's not like we're super competent electricians, so that means really pretty simple wherever possible.

Simple wiring is best wiring...

but the "in" thing is to install solenoids on your branches at the service and run bell wire to actuate the individual fixtures on the branch. Bell wire is cheaper and does not need to be sheathed... hella easy to run...

Sheesh... now I've turned this into Ask a Building Trades Professional...

What have they done? Is it about the young team from Turin?

Might be that re-trial convicting Amanda Knox of murder, despite her already being found innocent.

It probably doesn't matter much, she's in the US right now and the US Government doesn't usually extradite its citizens to other countries, especially a case like this where the trial was in abstentia and totally in violation of double jeopardy.

Might be that re-trial convicting Amanda Knox of murder, despite her already being found innocent.

It probably doesn't matter much, she's in the US right now and the US Government doesn't usually extradite its citizens to other countries, especially a case like this where the trial was in abstentia and totally in violation of double jeopardy.

This is Italy, not Murica... Italian law is different, since she was already convicted and her "acquital" was part of the appeal process, according to some lawyer friends of mine.

Rant: I think a button on my Razer mouse broke :(

Standing up for several hours hurts.

Ah, but this trial being in absentia appears to have been done according to UN laws…
Be careful, because a case being reviewed by a higher court, and then being sent back to a lower court, is standard procedure in 'continental' i.e. 'Roman' law. Cassation, supreme courts, appeals courts, etc. are standard fare.
Standing up for several hours hurts.
Can't you even just sit down onto the floor?

The roads and sidewalks are covered in an almost invisible layer of ice. I slipped and fell on the driveway, and couldn't walk the dog or play fetch, it's so icy.

I hardly ever see any of my friends anymore, partly because my closest friend is often busy with a girlfriend (rub it in, why don't you?:cringe:). And while it's possible that he and I will be suite mates next semester, it's also possible that I'll head off to Germany for a year instead. I can't really go for a full year at any other time. I don't know if he'll be able to come with. All my friends are slowly drifting apart. I barely have any left, and if I don't stay in the US and my friend can't come, I'll be all on my own for an entire year. If I don't go, I'll probably regret it for the rest of my life. I could compromise and only go for a semester, but I'd still regret not staying for longer.

What the hell am I supposed to do?:undecide:

Man why do I suck at everything in the real world.

mainly why do I suck so much at small things in the presence of other people. Like I get nervous driving with people in my car and I keep messing up (banged up a wall a little bit; cracked plastic over headlight)

On side note I think that should be fairly cheap and easy to replace (I can afford repairs, certainly what should be simple ones).

Le sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom