Random Raves XLI: One More Trip Around the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must commend you on your appropriate use of terminology, Mr. Spengler.

Well, that is just logical. Good that the law was negated (?) by the federal court. It makes zero sense to ask from contractor companies to explicitly be pro-Israel state, in the USA...

The article is pretty vague as to the exact status of the legal proceedings, but they do link to the text of the court's opinion, and that shows that this is not the final say on the matter: it is a preliminary injunction which basically (at least according to my understanding, I'm sure our resident lawyers will correct me if I'm wrong) says the state cannot enforce the law in question while the case is being brought to a final resolution. But given that the court basically says the plaintiff is correct that the law is an unconstitutional infringement of free speech it's hard to picture a scenario where the court's final decision isn't to strike the law down. Unclear from the article here whether Kansas will appeal the court's final decision.

The issue in this case was someone was going to be hired by the state to do some job, they required her to sign a statement certifying she is not engaged in any boycott activity against the State of Israel, she refused because she is doing exactly that, was not hired, and then sued.

I agree with you that it is "just logical" but with things as they are in the US today, any part of the state acting "logically" is quite welcome.

Since when do red States not waste money fighting court challenges they have no hope of winning to advance the cause of curtailment of personal liberties?

Conservatives: "The beauty of capitalism is, if you don't like something that a company does, you can vote with your wallet!"
Conservatives: "wait no not like that"

I had a mini design review yesterday and someone brought up a potentially huge flaw in my rocket engine design that I did not have an answer for. It totally caught me off guard and wrecked me emotionally for the rest of the day. I was in near panic trying to figure out where I had gone wrong and I even had a nightmare about the situation.

This morning I put in a five minute call with a supplier who promptly reminded me I had already dealt with it months ago and that while it seemed to be a massive problem on the face of it, the solution was so trivial that I had completely forgotten the problem in the first place. Yeah me. :)

I have to admit though that while design work is a lot of fun the pressure it brings is intense. Also my ability to hold irrelevant information is so freaking skewed. I can tell you which engines went out due to pogo on Apollo 7 50 years ago but couldn't remember this very important conversation from 3 months ago.

The Canadian senate finally passed the gender neutral change to Canada's anthem! :D

Just go in for solipsism.

Why cut out only the middleman when you can cut out every(man)one else? =)
I like this even though I don't know what it means. That's getting to be a trend with me on this site.

The Canadian senate finally passed the gender neutral change to Canada's anthem! :D
‘True patriot love in all thy sons command’?

I would have preferred abolition of the entire thing, but that's good enough for now.

‘True patriot love in all thy sons command’?
I bumped the Canadian Anthem thread. It's easier to discuss it there, I think. I just felt like posting a rave about it because it was such a nice surprise to see in my CBC.ca notifications. This was completely unexpected.

Ah, I found the thread.

Well, that is just logical. Good that the law was negated (?) by the federal court. It makes zero sense to ask from contractor companies to explicitly be pro-Israel state, in the USA...

No one is asking that they be pro-Israel.

Conservatives: "The beauty of capitalism is, if you don't like something that a company does, you can vote with your wallet!"

Progressives have a similar issue with, well, voting.

Last edited:
It's a bit difficult to vote with one's wallet if there isn't any credible or useful alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom