RBTS2 - Defense!

2.1. Samurai cause collateral damage to units in nearby squares. (As a couple lurkers have pointed out in this thread.)

You know what, this is a possibility. I do remember one particular stack of 4-5 Samurais (no Suicide Grenadiers), and if 4-5 does enough colateral damage to wipe out a 20 Strength unit, the that would do it, because both units disappeared at the same time and were both adjacent to the unit that got attacked... If this is the case, sorry for not noticing it and screwing that up...

I like ruff's idea of when we someone does lose, report as normal, and open the game up to see who can survive.

Good work Ruff on the turns :goodjob:

Another great set of turns, Ruff! :D The arrowed maps are always a huge help for me. Funny how having those leftover units on hand actually REDUCED the number of tanks you had to kill. (Another sign that this was clearly a bug and not the design goal, killercane - and if they wanted to make things harder, why not just add more enemies instead of having some of them survive between rounds? :))

I look forward to smashing some more tanks on my turnset later today. :hammer:

Funny how having those leftover units on hand actually REDUCED the number of tanks you had to kill.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were 40 tanks (guess) that I had to kill and by killing the remaining units from the prior round (say 10), then I have just left Sullla with 10 tanks to kill. One thing that it does mean is that you get units to kill on the very first turn instead of having to wait until they move into range.

Round 17: Tank and Spank

Back in the saddle again, probably for the last time in this succession game. It certainly has been fun, for the scenario that CivFanatics members rated the "worst" in an unofficial poll! I see immediately that there are, in fact, quite a few uglies still on the screen from the previous round. As Ruff points out, that's in addition to the 60 units incoming on this particular round! :eek: Could get interesting! Here's our current status before I begin:

Our three "super stacks" of bombard units are circled above. As far as numbers go, we have 16 longbows, 5 muskets, 7 catapults, 3 trebuchets, and 1 rocket cart. Maybe someone will purchase that anti-tank gun for novelty purposes in the final round, but I'm not going to do so here! I buy a Scout to place on a hole in our sentry net, a comparatively cheap trebuchet (400g), one musket (560g), and three longbows (360g, 380g, 400g). Most of them are moving to the south, where our bombardment defenses are slightly weaker. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with our current disposition of units.

There are 10 Doom Rollers on the screen before I even get started! Well, I kill two on the first turn and cripple another pair into the red:

Woo, go get 'em! Smash that tank with your longbow! :hammer: Too bad this scenario has so many bugs, or it would be even more fun. (For that matter, it really should have more than one difficulty level. If you could play a "Deity" level in this scenario, think how awesome that would be!)

Because these units are pretty dangerous (especially given their 3 movement), I've just been killing the Doom Rollers outright rather than crippling them for our melee units. After all, it's not like we really need the XP on our super-promoted units...

One of the Doom Rollers was bombarded all the way down to 0.2 health. Rather than use a longbow, I sent our fearless SCOUT into the fray!

Ye-hah! Show that warrior spirit! :spear:

The new units this round are Death Tracks (strength 24, movement 2) but I haven't seen more than a handful of them. With the bizarre overlapping rounds bug, I'm getting mostly Death Rollers so far, the carryover from Ruff's round. That means Zeviz will probably have mostly Death Tracks on his turnset. Confused yet? :crazyeye:

Here's the way a typical turnset goes. Enemies move into view...

Then we blast them. Watch those purple dots in the front. This is the "after" shot from the same turn:

Boom. (What happened to all the forward purple dots? Use your imagination! :mischief: )

I wondered if the round would instantly end as soon as I hit "0 enemies remaining", or if I would continue to play until all of our units finished their moves. Based on what I remembered from previous rounds, I guessed that it would be the former, so I redlined every single enemy unit in range very carefully on the last turn before killing any of them. As it turns out, I was wrong - you can indeed keep playing even beyond hitting the 0 mark - which led to this amusing screenshot:

-1 enemies remaining! Anyone STILL want to claim this isn't a bug? :lol:

That's where everything finished up. Our safe spots remained completely safe throughout the round; the AI pathfinding seems to completely ignore our little islands of safety in the midst of a sea of charging tanks. I didn't have a single attacker make it to our defending melee units the entire round, and most of the time I had unspent bombardment attacks left over. In other words, we seem to be in pretty good shape. I'm sure Zeviz will do just fine on his round. Have fun!

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ4/SG/RBTS2/RBTS2-AD-5896.zip

well done ... nice round ... and using a scout ... priceless. One thing I think I saw earlier is that this is DEITY level :D.

Very nice progress, Sulla and Ruff. :)

I also liked that <strike>spearman</strike>scout v. tank screenshot.

Can I buy an anti-tank gun to play with?

We seem to be doing very well, so I am just going to buy the fun toy of Anti-Tank Gun and continue bombarding all incoming units. Never mind. We can't afford an Anti-Tank Gun. So instead I buy a cheap Tundra Warrior to protect each of our stacks, a couple Jungle Warriors to plug in holes in our defense, and spend most of the rest on a Musket and a Bowman, leaving 1000$ in reserve for the next round.

After a turn of combat I got the message that I've completed the round and got dumped back to purchasing screen, with 3000$ to spend. The counter showed -7 enemies left. This must be some sort of glitch, but I'll upload the save anyway. This is the shortest turnset I've ever played in any SG.

Attachments

• RBTS2-round18-end1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    30 KB · Views: 77
After a turn of combat I got the message that I've completed the round

Well done, it took me two turns to finish this round.
Round 18 and 19 have a small number of enemies, so your negative turn count has a major influence on them. But those enemies will come in the final round with about 250 enemies (together with leftovers.)

Spoiler :
You should protect the southern flank or the mid jungle patch much more, this is where they will try to break through. Btw strength 40 Tanks and Suicide Grenadiers is a nice mix.

A one-turn round! Well that was... fast. :crazyeye: This scenario seems to get more and more bug-ridden as we get closer to the finish. Now we have the units from three different rounds converging on our position all at once. Umm... good luck scooter and Ruff! :mischief:

How many rounds are there? I thought there were 19 which means that this is our last round.

20 rounds sounds right to me.

Nice turns all, sorry it appears I'm going to be on a skip for the entire SG.

Aside from that, I wonder if the developer of this scenario actually played it all the way through. I get the feeling he/she checked out the first ten or so levels, and just figured everything was working ok.

(Another sign that this was clearly a bug and not the design goal, killercane - and if they wanted to make things harder, why not just add more enemies instead of having some of them survive between rounds? )
Dont know why you are asking me, I justed posed a different hypothesis :). If its a bug, its pretty minor and we are both clueless as to whether it was intended or not so... who cares anyways? The teleporting Monster Tanks is much more annoying.

It would be nice for someone to track down the developer and have him comment in this thread on some of the choices made, like ridiculous tech costs/unit strength/bombard capability and why there arent any buildings to be built or fortifications to be made by workers. All of those things would have contributed to a more well rounded scenario.

The teleporting Monster Tanks
What do you mean by this statement ? I realized that some unit graphics are irritating/buggy i.e. your units look like the enemy, but i never realized a "teleporting" unit.
But i think the most annoying issue is the poor description of the enemies in the Civilopedia.

Btw. someone mentioned two ways to kill Suicide Grenadiers, now that you're nearly done with them i would really be interested to know the second way.
The first is ranged attack, the second that came to my mind (that i used when they came too near to my melee units) was suiciding a scout against them.
Something i found funny, is that the defending unit get's killed after the round, so you can defend against a whole stack of enemies first, otherwise things would have been really challenging in the end...

Hey guys, I'm going to need a skip on this one. I'm still in the process of moving, so things are still a bit too hectic to get time for my round. Sorry for not letting you all know earlier.

Btw. someone mentioned two ways to kill Suicide Grenadiers, now that you're nearly done with them i would really be interested to know the second way.
The first is ranged attack, the second that came to my mind (that i used when they came too near to my melee units) was suiciding a scout against them.
Yep the scout one. After reading through this topic I'd say the range units one is better, since you will need them for sure in the last rounds.

righto - will try and play today.

Round 19: The Calm

Hmm - wonder what round 20 will be called? 10c to the first person who states the obvious. For this round I purchased (excluding the warrior) ...

... and deployed them covering the Southern desert. They saw zero action. Sullla's scout was in the thick of things again ...

... and we were introduced to the new menace for this round ...

... which aren't put together that well. Our bowmen played with them for a little bit and they broke ... just like Christmas morning and the new toys ...

... WATCH OUT FOR THAT FLYING LEG!

Hand Over: Don't worry about this tank ... it should take the path indicated.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/64034/RBTS2_AD-5915_End_19.CivBeyondSwordSave

Top Bottom