[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Map Maker needed

Sorry don't agree with that at all.

I trust you that this map will play more like Monarch but I think the Deity label will scare people off regardless. Anyway I've said my piece and will shut up now, I'll still sign up and play but will be interested to see what the numbers are like.

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all either...completely not true.

And NZ is right, it is just the mention of Deity that will scare away players. This is not about trusting the mapmaker...it's just common sense. SGOTMs are supposed to be inclusive, not elitist. It's much better to use a reasonable difficulty level and make the map and environment more challenging, and interesting, rather than use Deity as the base and cook around it, cause Deity still presents so many challenges and unknowns that many less experienced players can't begin to fathom. Matters little to me, but I"m failing to understand why an SGOTM has to be on Deity level.

Also, gathering from bits I'm reading, I've got other concerns.

I think it important that a "mapmaker" understands his/her "audience".

Last edited:
If the idea is to start at deity but remove the extra settler/workers plus units that would spice up the games. Albeit happiness would be a limitation early on. Agree with others. There are other ways to speed up Ai tech speed. Free resources. Extra worked farm or resource at start.

People want a fun and interesting map. Come up with a good idea and keep the basics simple.

Starting a different era could be interesting.

I wonder whether there're still NEW civ 4 players who are interested in a game lasting several months, but the concern of difficulty level is still valid.
Because no SINGLE player can represent the WHOLE subset of players who may be interested in SGOTM, I prefer to providing 3 options: deity, immortal and emperor, with different starting bonus. Players can choose difficulty level based on the starting area, starting bonus and the winning condition.

@sossos, It could help to focus this discussion if you shared part of what will be in the announcement.
What have you decided and what is still under consideration?
What is the theme and challenges of the game?
Spoiler :
for sgotm24, Zhary had three possible themes/maps in mind; he shared these (I forget at the moment whether in discussion thread or email with staff) and one was selected.

edit - cross post with sossos

@Deckhand

I've submitted WB save for testing in the design forum. The draft scenario description is also done.
It might be better to have multiple map makers, so we can choose themes for SGOTM 25.

I'm still working up to winning at Immortal, but I'm interested in a SGOTM for any team that would have me. with a team, I'd be okay with playing at any level, but if I'm being honest, it's hard to break into this group, because the games are so long and i don't want to be the one to mess up some team's game.

I'm still working up to winning at Immortal, but I'm interested in a SGOTM for any team that would have me. with a team, I'd be okay with playing at any level, but if I'm being honest, it's hard to break into this group, because the games are so long and i don't want to be the one to mess up some team's game.
Mistakes happen. I think it was SGOTM12 in which I accidentally gifted Gandhi our third city. We still beat the Ducks by a turn. ;)

And in the last SGOTM, one of the teams accidentally declared war on 2-3 other civs.

It can be intimidating, but the games are a lot of fun. And it is not necessary to be a deity-level player to contribute -- I am still not very successful at Deity, even after years of playing Civ IV. The team format really helps balance out the various players' strengths.

The map is still being tested by cfc staff. They may be very busy these days.
I think we may need more to volunteer as map testers.
Bad idea. The more who test. the fewer who can play. We need as many warm bodies as we can find. An imperfect mess with many involved is probably better than a perfect storm with just a few.

I think some might still play? Unless TA have given up now? Mylene still seems keen. Agreed chances of 4+ teams now seems less likely.

Sooner or later these games were going to come to an end. Some do still love the micro involved with them. Not sure what the delay is here. Civ 4 is a very good game even after 12 years. Not convinced Civ 5 or 6 matches this game yet in terms of fun and depth.

I agree it's sad, but I think the lack of interest shown here in another game speaks volumes. Or are conversations about it going on below my radar?

Some game testing was done on Sossos' scenario, but the discussion about the results of that died. I'm really not enthusiastic about administering another game if we can only scrape together two or three teams.

Must say that iam a bit confused..
yep me and some others would still play and have fun with it as usual, but what are we supposed to discuss if there's no map or thread?

That's not on us players if we get nothing to talk about.
Cannot speak for others, but i was waiting for a scenario, looked like work was in progress.

Top Bottom