Sunday's PAX talk (with summary of the info)

I noticed that Austria's symbol is a white eagle on a red background when Maria Theresa is being introduced. I had been hoping that Poland would be introduced eventually as a DLC, but this puts the final nail in the coffin for me. If they were planning on releasing Poland, or even thinking about it, they probably wouldn't make Austria's Civ symbol a white eagle on a red background: one of the most instantly recognizable symbols of the medieval Polish state.

Austria's flag is red and white, with an eagle on.

So what do we all think of the new leaders?

Maria Theresa: Nice surprise that she's an elder lady, makes me wonder why all the city-states want to marry her though!
Looks like a very cool Civ. The easy bet for her unique units are Hussar cavalry and some sort of Opera housey thing, I'll go with those too.

Attila: All my previous early rushes have turned into humiliating bloodbaths, so the Hun strategy isn't close to mine, but the concept and the leader looks super very cool. Gonna love to duke it out with Attila in G&K!

Haile Selassie: I'm surprised he didn't have a safari/pith helmet on. I wonder is one of his medals a british one as he co-operated with them I think. Again a really imaginative UA with Ethiopia.

Dido: I was hoping for a more trade-oriented Civ like Dutch. The mountain ability is very very cool and handy and I love how it has a drawback too.

Maria didn't sound to flirtatious to me, but that may have something to do with the fact that I understood what she was talking about.

I'm disappointet. I was hoping for an over-the-top Vienna accent.

On the Trading post: the graphic is updated and looks MUCH better (and its definitely a TP, due to mouseover), but the yeild on grassland is 2:c5food: 2:c5gold: in the industrial/modern, it doesnt grow over time.

Unless that's a brand new one, that is...

Still cant make out Coffee/citrus clearly enough to be sure. To me, the icon looks like a metal coffee pot though.

Edit: actually... blown right up, the text is no clearer, but you can definitely see that the tiny icon has a yellow orb in it, a lemon?

Great info, the two core additions (religion & espionage) really seem to be shaping up nicely! Here's hoping the last civ is Hatti/Sumer/Assyria . . . hmm, too biased? :mischief:

In Civ V the leader abilities are so imaginative, makes the previous commercial/spiritual etc. traits seem as interesting as tax reports.. ;)

I beg to differ on that second bit. Perhaps superficially, but in terms of actual gameplay the traits are more flexible/powerful, and ultimately more interesting. You really have to strategize to leverage the IV traits, whereas the V abilities kinda railroad you into it.

Did anyone tried to read the Carthage UA in the video. It is something like free harbours, units can enter mountain terrain & they take 50HP damage if they end their turn on mountain. It also mentions something about Great General but I can't read it completely.

A Vienna accent would have been not that good.

The nasal, aristocratic speech she gives is cheesy but I love it.

It's not cheesy enough !

I'm also disappointed about Ethiopia (this time for real).
I wanted them in the game, but I don't like it when they include 20th century leaders in civ. I would have preferred Zara Yaqob.
I also think Ethiopia should have a religion based ability and not a military one that potentially expires.

I think I heard the 50hp penalty mentioned yesterday, so I'd imagine you're right.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think 4 movement for the landship seems a bit too generous?

I'm also disappointed about Ethiopia (this time for real).
I wanted them in the game, but I don't like it when they include 20th century leaders in civ. I would have preferred Zara Yaqob.
I also think Ethiopia should have a religion based ability and not a military one that potentially expires.

I very much agree. I dont like Haile Selassie that much. On the other hand their UA is quite interesting, because its based on number of cities. This means they should be played like India - few big cities. Also their UU benefits from this kind of playstyle.

I actually really like how Ethiopia turned out. Haile Selassie looks very good as the leader and their UU and UA seem very nice.

Also the soundtrack in G&K just sounds gorgeous.

Ethiopia might be a good civ to play at if youre trying to crack a harder difficulty level than you're used to. If I was a bit intimidated by the prospect of an AI overwhelming and steamrolling me, Ethiopia would be a good choice to turtle up and try to sneak a cultural win - maybe even a science one if I could really secure my borders.

I actually really like how Ethiopia turned out. Haile Selassie looks very good as the leader and their UU and UA seem very nice.

I agree; they should be very effective against deity dogpiles. Haile Selassie also looks awesome, though my personal pick probably would have been Kaleb of Axum.

I also noticed that you can now hide City States and Nations in the Diplomacy Menu (the one that lsits them all, not the Overview)

I also noticed that Carthage has Middle-Eastern Music.

Top Bottom