The Great Lighthouse

People don't spend two years of effort to lose to arbitrary reasons. I'm sure players last game started off with the good intention to not whine about the arbitrary RNG streaks, we saw how that turned out.

Choosing a civ for a "mystery map" and finding out you're not viking/dutch on water map; and finding out two years later that, despite your good intention, viking/dutch are simply too overpowered, well...it doesn't sound like much fun, does it?

People don't spend two years of effort to lose to arbitrary reasons. I'm sure players last game started off with the good intention to not whine about the arbitrary RNG streaks, we saw how that turned out.

Choosing a civ for a "mystery map" and finding out you're not persian/indian/mayan/carthaginian on a land map; and finding out two years later that, despite your good intention, persian/indian/mayan/carthaginian are simply too overpowered, well...it doesn't sound like much fun, does it?

The obsoleting tech is corporation, so you can let them go renaissance :p.

Well thats makes it much more appealing, since you'd be a less backward subservient team;)

I don't believe any team in this match would be anywhere near bad enough to be duped into such things.

My 2:commerce: would be on Sirius:D

persian/indian/mayan/carthaginian and 20 impis/praets/jags/skirms/bowmen/dogs/WCs/keshiks/cataphracts win you land game I hear.

Choosing a civ for a "mystery map" and finding out you're not viking/dutch on water map; and finding out two years later that, despite your good intention, viking/dutch are simply too overpowered, well...it doesn't sound like much fun, does it?

So fun only equates to winning? No fun in playing the game, no fun participating in the team, no fun learning new ideas, nope none of that, just winning is what counts

So fun only equates to winning? No fun in playing the game, no fun participating in the team, no fun learning new ideas, nope none of that, just winning is what counts
+1

Team Saturn lost badly in the last game, partly due to a rather imbalanced starting location which we didn't realise until halfway through the game. Yet we still had a heap of fun along the way. :)

Well around here it is kind of hard to explain these things :lol:

+1

Team Saturn lost badly in the last game, partly due to a rather imbalanced starting location which we didn't realise until halfway through the game. Yet we still had a heap of fun along the way. :)

Yea lots of fun, the activity dropped to a one person team pretty fast handling a tottaly hopeless civ by himself.

All this fun, new ideas, participation etc etc can be had without having imbalanced maps/civs.

It is not about winning, but it should be about starting without disadvantage.

All this fun, new ideas, participation etc etc can be had without having imbalanced maps/civs.

There are precious few ways to guarantee that, other than things like mirror with identical civs/starts.

How do you know there is an imbalance in the map/civs? Have you seen the whole map to know?

Nobody said mirror, but when you ask 10 people that play multiplayer what civs are best on islands map guess what they will say!

There is a difference between best and unbeatable

Aggressive and Protective civs!

Well, the Vikings *are* aggressive with restricted leaders...

The best will come out ahead given even skill most of the time, however. If this IS a water map, two civs do have an awfully mighty advantage...but of course it isn't unbeatable. Stranger things have happened than someone losing with vikings on a water map. I'm not betting on anybody losing based on suckage in MTDG though...

How do you know there is an imbalance in the map/civs? Have you seen the whole map to know?

Nothing is unbeatable, just has an advantage.

About the map no I have not seen, but I have seen the civs, alot of water so far and the great lighthouse banned...oh no I gave away that I have seen alot of water...dam, you propably are in the middle of a pangea yourselves wondering why theTGL was taken off :p

Maybe we should just save ourselves some time and play "CIV LITE."

The Rules
1. Both teams secretly pick a civ - one land based, one sea based.*
2. Roll a die. Odd means the "map" would have been sea based. Even means land based.
3. The sea based leader is immediately made the winner on a sea based map. The land based leader is immediately declared the winner on a land based map.

*The teams have 48 hours to make their choice - we run on a 48 hour turn timer because obviously there is a lot to consider before making your choice. 24 Hours isn't enough time because people need to discuss a lot of strategy before picking A or B.

Ta Da! Game over man, game over.

OR we could just know the map settings before we pick our leader. Sort of like how it is in the Staging Room when you play a multi-player game? So if someone wants to play in a sea based game where they remove the GLH, or they want to play in Erebus, or they want to create a modern scenario where we don't have the ability to make Settlers - good on them, we all knew beforehand.

These Turn Zero "Ace in my hand" advantage shanigans are a product of not running the game the way that it is written. Everyone sees the settings before the leader is chosen.

So just make a note for next time. No fault this time - we just shouldn't do it again!

;)

Honestly, Lets all just take a deep breath. It is what it is, and as many of you have stated its just a leason we have learned for next time. I for one will enjoy playing the game, and trust that things will work themselves out. So for any who are disappointed, I understand how you feel, but its for the better to let it go and enjoy the game, The map was made for a reason, and most likely we all have no idea what really lies outside of what we've all discovered already.

You know what? I voted for a Landbase map. I didn't care about the UU, all I wanted was Williem's traits and UB. I would not have cried foul had we ended up on a Pangea/Wheel/Donut map.

Just because we have a slight advantage doesn't make us invincible, same with the Vikings.

Top Bottom