The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the world of Chandler Bing, baybeeeeee.
Actually, it's Miss Chanandler Bong.
I work at a market research company and those two positions are totally different. The Data analyst usually does more programming and cleaning of data then heavy analysis. Research associates are usually more involved with the methodology like questionnaire design and it's implementation. (and to do whatever grunt work the project manager doesn't want to do.) They're usually both entry level positions to learn the business.
My job title is Researcher and I do all that stuff and more! Another person in my office has the job title Analyst and she does all that stuff and more!
OK, what I get from this is that the job title is actually immaterial and I'd be doing grunt work for something a low-to-middling manager doesn't feel like doing.

Bingo

Actually, it's Miss Chanandler Bong.

OK, what I get from this is that the job title is actually immaterial and I'd be doing grunt work for something a low-to-middling manager doesn't feel like doing.
The key though is learning the business. It may be a tired company that doesn't promote from within readily which would suck. But if they are decent, you'd be in a good spot to learn a lot about the different things your company does. From there you can specialize and jump directly into something you are interested in.

They very probably are the sort that don't promote from within and anyway being a clerk with a fancy title and happy peppy slogans is not my idea of a lifetime employment. It is not theirs, either; but I think I've found somebody who actually works at the place.

They very probably are the sort that don't promote from within and anyway being a clerk with a fancy title and happy peppy slogans is not my idea of a lifetime employment. It is not theirs, either; but I think I've found somebody who actually works at the place.
If you go into it with the mentality that you will spend your life as a clerk then you're almost guaranteeing you're not going to have a good outcome.

But if this is not the kind of place that promotes from within then yeah no matter what your mindset is that will be your outcome. :sad:

Why don't women like to carry small wallets in a pants pocket, for things like metro cards and cash? Is that too masculine? Do women's pants lack pockets? I bring it up because I keep seeing women hoisting their duffle-sized shoulder bags onto counters and diving in like Lara Croft, just to get on the subway or pay for something. Men just whip our wallets out and glide through without breaking stride. Sometimes we don't even need to take the card out of the wallet.

Women's pants by and large lack pockets as a concession to fashion.

Sometimes the have a tiny pouch for a pocket that is completely useless or just as often the 'pockets' are just a stitching pattern without an actual pocket behind it. This keeps their pants tight and more form-fitting than if they had real pockets.

This actually comes up quite a bit on Reddit and it seems that a lot of women hate this.

There are in my mind four reasons:

(i) Women like to carry around makeup and other stuff that wouldn't fit in a pants pocket,
so they need a handbag and if already carrying a handbag, they have no use for pants pocikets.

(ii) They are vain, they don't want the outline of a wallet breaking up the visual perfection of their posteriors.

(iii) They don't want to have to bother considering if the hand on their bottom is for lust or robbery.

(iv) And they want to be different, using pants pockets for wallets, how gross - that is such a men's thing

Lol right?

Back pockets are usually the only functional pockets on women's pants and while they don't usually put a wallet in there (that's what the purse is for) that's where everyone keeps their cell phone.

I don't understand back pockets. It's uncomfortable or painful when sitting down, not to mention it obliterates whatever is inside that pocket at the time.

Keeping a wallet or a cell phone in a back pocket seems like asking for trouble. Maybe that's just the city-kid in me.

I don't keep anything in my back pockets.

Back pockets are usually the only functional pockets on women's pants and while they don't usually put a wallet in there (that's what the purse is for) that's where everyone keeps their cell phone.

I was really just reacting to the "women are too vain for pockets, lol" when I hear them complaining constantly about how their pants don't have pockets.

Wallets in general seems to be a fading thing in my corner of the world. I still keep one but I don't think the cool kids do, or lame kids for that matter. Physical money is fading out and the smart phone can be used for more and more things. But the smart phone is growing out of it's previous portable friendly pocket size, more so if we are talking lady pockets (are we allowed to say lady pockets?). But in these parts you'll usually bring some sort of jacked which are usually equipped with more sizeable pockets.

Oh dear, well, what if say your makeup gets all messed up and you really need to retouch yourself quickly? And maybe also something causes your hair to get all disheveled, well you'll be thankful you have your hairbrush then, right? Oh, and if your clothes and hair might easily be badly damaged by rain, you'll really start wanting to carry one of those small compact umbrellas with you, just in case, better than having something nice ruined. And if you become aware your breath isn't particularly fresh, maybe after lunch or something, you'll probably be glad to have some floss and mints. And you absolutely never know when you're going to suddenly need an emergency tampon, right? What about your address book, and a notepad and pen in case you need to take notes? And not to even mention your wallet with your credit cards and your other important cards like your id and healthcard, and so on. Plus your keys, medicine, bandages, hand cream, and such, right?

lol and that's just for starters, do you really feel you could fit everything inside a couple of pockets? Oh and what if your pockets are barely big enough to fit like two of your fingers? And I've seen men carry things like briefcases and laptop bags, so if you need something you want to make sure you have it with you.

I read something somewhere about how "if men bled like crazy every month, they'd carry handbags with them too."

Oh and it's always so lovely to see women being blamed for imposed beauty standards.

Military battle dress is the most comfortable and practical dress there is.
Pockets everywhere and in the right places.
Second best is the ordinary jacket of a suit: many pockets.
Worst of all is modern shirts, where I forgot to look whether there is at least one pocket, when online buying. And those pockets become increasingly less deep as well.

If you go into it with the mentality that you will spend your life as a clerk then you're almost guaranteeing you're not going to have a good outcome.

But if this is not the kind of place that promotes from within then yeah no matter what your mindset is that will be your outcome. :sad:
Well… I need something to tide me over, given that, while I have recently completed the coursework to be awarded a degree, I will not be getting the official degree until sometime next year because of bureaucracy, and I cannot simply wait sitting on my smother's sofa watching Pinky and the Brain for an entire year.

And they appear not to be the kind that promote from within unless you're a ‘whiz kid’ (I believe this to be the proper 'Muricanian idiom) which I definitely am not. :/ Well, not for their line of work at least.
Oh dear, well, what if say your makeup gets all messed up and you really need to retouch yourself quickly? And maybe also something causes your hair to get all disheveled, well you'll be thankful you have your hairbrush then, right? Oh, and if your clothes and hair might easily be badly damaged by rain, you'll really start wanting to carry one of those small compact umbrellas with you, just in case, better than having something nice ruined. And if you become aware your breath isn't particularly fresh, maybe after lunch or something, you'll probably be glad to have some floss and mints. And you absolutely never know when you're going to suddenly need an emergency tampon, right? What about your address book, and a notepad and pen in case you need to take notes? And not to even mention your wallet with your credit cards and your other important cards like your id and healthcard, and so on. Plus your keys, medicine, bandages, hand cream, and such, right?

lol and that's just for starters, do you really feel you could fit everything inside a couple of pockets? Oh and what if your pockets are barely big enough to fit like two of your fingers? And I've seen men carry things like briefcases and laptop bags, so if you need something you want to make sure you have it with you.

I read something somewhere about how "if men bled like crazy every month, they'd carry handbags with them too."

Oh and it's always so lovely to see women being blamed for imposed beauty standards.
This has been a nice read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom