The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this would be the right place, but it’s mainly related to creative persuits.

How do I get back into a creative pursuit after taking a long hiatus from it because of writer’s block and apathy towards it after negative feedback?
First of all, unless you're being paid to write things a certain way (ie. someone who writes tie-in fiction for franchises like Star Trek) or you're part of a cooperative storytelling group that has a master plan all set out (I don't know how strict or loose the DYOS material has been lately), create to please yourself. Your take on the material might not be someone else's take. If they like it, great. If not, they should have the courtesy to say why - in a constructive way. That's one of the rules of the Iron Pen competitions in A&E, btw. The readers are not required to like a story, but if they choose to offer feedback, it has to be constructive and courteous. "This sucks" is not acceptable. "I didn't like this because ______ and I think it could be improved by ________" is a much better way of critiquing someone's work (or of course "I like this because _______" is great, too).

All too often I've sat here while the clock ticks down to the start of NaNoWriMo and sometimes I haven't had a clue what I wanted to write. More Fighting Fantasy? More Hulzein Saga? Try a Star Trek story? It's helped to just sit back and let my thoughts go where they will, and sometimes an idea will just pop into my head and I'll go with that.

This year's Camp NaNoWriMo projects came about because of a series of games I've played over the years, about characters who work as park rangers and cruise ship employees (the same company puts out the Park Ranger, Cruise Director, and Christmas Wonderland games and there are about a dozen characters that cross over among them). Finally, after some conversations with some fellow gamers who noticed the same quirks I did and started speculating about what kind of in-game reasons there could be, I decided to write a story - partly to explain these odd things.

So next thing I know, I'm doing research about how national parks are run, fleshing out the scenes in the games, creating new characters and relationships among the original characters, and have been taking suggestions to explain why there's a pepperoni pizza sitting on top of an abandoned mine shaft in the first Park Ranger game. And I can't wait to try to figure out how the game takes place in Washington state but one of the scenes takes place in Jasper National Park, Alberta (the developers evidently didn't care that Canadian gamers would see the background of Maligne Lake and say, "Waitaminute...").

Where I'm going with this is that whatever you do should be fun for you, most of all. A few of the people over at Pond Friends forum have asked if my stories are available to read online, and I've told them no, not yet. I have a long way to go before things get to that point - they have to be finished and edited, and it's going to take at least a couple of years, at a conservative guesstimate. At least if I just do it during the three months of the year when NaNoWriMo is going on. But even if I never get to the point where they're ready to post, at least I've been having fun.

Focus on small, easily digestible goals rather than trying to conceptualize the finished product as a whole. Schedule time effectively. Stick to schedules you make for yourself. Set firm personal deadlines. Stick to those deadlines. Identify possible sources of procrastination, work in places or in such a way that those sources of procrastination are inaccessible.

I spent most of June not writing my thesis because I had serious writer's block and was struggling with where to start. I eventually broke through that writer's block and finished the thesis by treating the writing process like a job; I broke the thesis into digestible mini-chapter chunks, and then scheduled eight hour blocks each day to write one of those chunks. It's much easier mentally to go "ok, I have eight hours to write this 5-page mini essay today and then I'm done", than it is to go "ok so I have to knock out an unspecified portion of this 45-page paper today and then another unspecified portion of this 45-page paper tomorrow and then..." At the end of the day, the key to breaking my writer's block was really to cut out all distractions, and just force myself to sit at my desk and not move until I had made demonstrable progress.
Exactly. I've seen all too many people who try to tackle NaNoWriMo start out with the best of intentions, but they crash and burn a few days in. They figure that "even if I don't do much during the week, I'll catch up on the weekend"... and when the weekend comes they get distracted, and on Monday they post a message to say they're dropping out.

The key is to make a plan and pace yourself. One of the main goals of NaNoWriMo (and this has been expanded to include comic books, so DYOS would qualify as a NaNoWriMo project) is to get participants in the habit of writing something every day. If you can at least get that far, the rest will follow later.

By making a plan and sticking to it, I've consistently met and exceeded my target goals for the past three years. This past July was a tough one; summer is definitely not the best time of year for me to sit here and think up creative stuff, but I just told myself, "You have to do at least 400 words today. They don't have to be good words, but you have to make at least that much progress."

By the end of the 30 days I'd exceeded the target goal by 5054 words. That's not a lot to some people (Synsensa and Luckymoose, I'm looking at you), but for me it's a result consistent with the past couple of years' worth of Camp NaNoWriMo contests. So now that I know I can do that, next year I'm going to make it a bit harder.

The Arts & Entertainment sub-forum here would be a more appropriate place for this :yup:
or http://ideasarelikestars.com/

You're basically are me 9 years ago. :hug:
The way I broke my writers block & got positive feedback was to do the one thing writing instructors rail against :gripe:, I got into fan fiction. https://www.fanfiction.net/ I used-the-crutch of utilizing someone else's characters and settings. My first story was to take Casablanca and tell it from Yvette's point of view [she was being blackmailed by the Nazis into being a spy for them]. It took me quite awhile* to find the confidence & skills necessary to try something original. I still often fall back into writing parodies [which are exemptions to copyright protection].

I have no patience with people who sneer at fanfic. Some of the best SF/F writers got their start with fanfic. Diane Duane did, and she's one of the best of the Original Series Star Trek pro novelists. Some well-known fantasy authors got their start writing Darkover fanfiction, branched out to short stories for professional anthologies, and then went on to novels.

There's nothing wrong with writing fanfic as long as you're aware that it's a hobby. Sure, some people write it and tweak it to the point where it can be published. Fifty Shades of Grey started out as Twilight fanfic (no, I haven't read it and have even less knowledge of Twilight). There's a TV series called Outlander that's based on a series of novels that were inspired by Diana Gabaldon's Doctor Who fantasies about the character of Jamie McCrimmon. I'm working my way through the novels and when I have time I pop over to fanfiction.net to see what new fanfic stories have been posted (they're based on the TV show).

It's basically this.

Of course, starting to actually write something is the real trouble sometimes.
The hardest part of any creative project is figuring out where to start.

Is there an expression to "bite one's backside" in Polish? Maybe @warpus knows?

I'm seeing a lot of job offers that are vaguely labelled as ‘research associate’. All the descriptions (for lack of a better word) I can find are full of peppy-happy words such as ‘proactive’, ‘enthusiastic’, etc. which describe the ‘work environment’, but… What the hell is a ‘research associate’?

I'm seeing a lot of job offers that are vaguely labelled as ‘research associate’. All the descriptions (for lack of a better word) I can find are full of peppy-happy words such as ‘proactive’, ‘enthusiastic’, etc. which describe the ‘work environment’, but… What the hell is a ‘research associate’?

A friend in the UK is a research field associate right now and she does a lot of the grunt work for the "real" scientists. Clerical stuff, bagging, retrieving things from the muck, etc.

Might be different there, though.

This isn't in the science field. Other than ‘we need people who speak many languages’ and ‘we'll tell you when you get here, if you get here’ I'm not getting much. :/

I'll ask someone I know who does that in a university (medical field, but the organization is clerical in nature), but IIRC it's essentially an administrative assistant who is shared between departments. Other people will probably have better insight.

It could be something like coding/categorizing research data, I did that in assistance to a graduate student

I'm seeing that the place also calls for ‘Data analysts’ which also seems to be completely obscure beyond the point where a data analyst is a person who performs some sort of analysis on some sort of data. >_<

I'm seeing that the place also calls for ‘Data analysts’ which also seems to be completely obscure beyond the point where a data analyst is a person who performs some sort of analysis on some sort of data. >_<

Welcome to the world of Chandler Bing, baybeeeeee.

Heh, yeah, the world's ever more like a TV show. It almost seems as if the president of the US got there by winning a reality TV contest… oh, wait.

Last edited:
I work at a market research company and those two positions are totally different. The Data analyst usually does more programming and cleaning of data then heavy analysis. Research associates are usually more involved with the methodology like questionnaire design and it's implementation. (and to do whatever grunt work the project manager doesn't want to do.) They're usually both entry level positions to learn the business.

My job title is Researcher and I do all that stuff and more! Another person in my office has the job title Analyst and she does all that stuff and more!

Well obviously you're not an associate or a data analyst. ;)
But yeah, they're really never that descriptive. At least when I hire a programmer, you can bet that they will be programming. But everyone is required to think.

Yes, we discriminate against idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom