Option A: Get it from steam at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137472495
Option B: Download (link to top right of this page) and unzip into your mod folder. The file path should be read
.../My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods/8 Ages of War/8AgesOfWar.modinfo
Does warfare feel slightly wrong to you in Civilization 6? Do you get annoyed that spamming archers is the solution to every problem? That cavalry is better than infantry at every single thing?Tired of useless promotions like 'Commando' that just get in the way? Confused about the 3 different meanings of melee in the game?
Then 8 Ages of War is the mod for you! The aim is to turn the art of war in Civilization 6 into something more balanced, more interesting, and more immersive.
This mod is not compatible to those that add new units, it can't balance things it is not aware of! However, it does work with new civilizations *provided* that their UU is a replacement of an existing unit and not a brand new one. There might be clashes with mods that completely revamp the tech tree or social policies too, but I haven't noticed them.
My recommended mods to go with this game are:
- 8 Ages of Pace: Gives you time to use units before they obsolete
- Mads Tech Tree: Better tech tree puts units in more meaningful positions
- AI+: Better AI simply makes for better wars
- CQUI Community: Because without a good user interface the game is just too hard to play
The mains changes are:
- 10 new promotion trees for the land and sea units!
- Small changes to the stats of most land units (see table)
- Completely revamped naval warfare! Naval melee units can now coastal raid (and so can pop goody huts!) and are cheaper. Naval ranged have a weaker attack but stronger defence and more expensive. Privateer/Submarine/Nuclear
- Submarine cannot raid or attack land units, but have the most powerful attack against other ships with an extra bonus against embarked units. (Embarked units are slightly tougher in later eras to compensate.)
- Ranged units much weaker across the board. Machine gun renamed to 'Mortar' and has range 2.
- Anti-cavalry class units are much cheaper to produce and maintain and have +15 vs cavalry units. New Fusilier unit added between pikeman and anti-tank crew, which itself has been pushed back one era (modern anti-tank removed).
- New policies that give +50% production towards anti-cavalry and siege units.
- All heavy and light cavalry units more expensive to build and very costly to maintain. Cavalry unit itself moved forward to late renaissance.
- Melee class land units have +12 vs anti-cavalry units.
The new unit stats are summarised in
- More charges for the military engineer, and acts as a battering ram.
- Slight changes to unit resource requirements.
- All UU (DLC included) have been changed inline with common units.
- Norway and England have had their ability adjusted (Norway gets extra gold from raiding, England get free anti-cavalry, including redcoats, on founding distant cities).
- Workaround for buggy Hoplite adjacency bonus.
- Clarified in game text when referring to ambiguous terms like 'Melee'
New land units rota [Ranged Strength/Combat strength (m=moves, r=range)]
Era Melee (+12 vs Anti-cav) Anti-cav (+15 vs cav) Heavy Cav Light Cav Ranged (-17 vs cities) Siege (-17 vs units) Recon Ancient Warrior 20 Spear 28 Chariot 30 (m3+1) Slinger15/5(r1) Archer 18/7 Scout 10 (m3) Classical Swords 36 (Iron) Horseman 34 (m4) (Horse) Catapult 28/16 Medieval Pike 44 Knight 46 (m4) (Iron) Crossbow 34/22 Renaissance Musket 54 (Niter) Cavalry 52 (m4) (Horse) Bombard 46/34 (Niter) Industrial Fusilier 62 Field Cannon 52/40 Ranger 55/45 (r1 m3) Modern Infantry 72 Tank 72 (m4) (Oil) Artillery 68/52 Atomic AT Crew 80 Helicopter 80 (m5) (Aluminum) Machine Gun 70/58 (r2) Information Mech Infantry 90 (m3) Modern Armor 90 (m4) (Uranium) Rocket Artillery 84/64 (r3)
New naval units rote [Ranged Strength/Combat strength (m=moves, r=range)]
Era Naval Melee Naval Hunter (+12 vs embarked) Naval Ranged Naval Carrier Ancient Galley 28 (m3) Classical Quadrireme 24/30 (r1 m2) Medieval Renaissance Caravel 52 (m4) Privateer 52/42 (r1 m4) Frigate 42/48 (r2 m3) (Niter) Industrial Ironclad 64 (m5) (Coal) Modern Submarine 70/60 (r1 m5) Battleship 60/66 (r3 m5) (Coal) Atomic Destroyer 82 (m7) Carrier 65 (m5) (oil) Information Nuclear Sub 88/78 (r1 m6) (Uranium) Missile Cruiser 78/84 (r3 m5) (Aluminium)
The new promotions are, for land units:
and for naval unit,
More screenshots available on steam at the link above.
We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.Dismiss Notice
Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.Dismiss Notice
All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.Dismiss Notice
To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.Dismiss Notice
- Dismiss Notice
Attention Modders! Please check out this thread about adding resource and linking discussion thread in our new Resource Manager.Dismiss Notice
Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.Dismiss Notice
8 Ages of War Beta Version 1.2.0
Overhaul of promotions for land units as well as nerfing of ranged units and small boost to the mili
- Total revamp of units and promotions for land & sea Sep 17, 2017 at 11:55 AM
- Fall patch update Nov 18, 2016