Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

Quo's Combined Tweaks has made the move to the Steam workshop! Version 3.05 is now available. The link is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=870876255

Updates:

- Mod is now available on Steam Workshop

- Mod is now compatible with the Civ 6 Australian Summer patch

- Bug fixes:
- Japan's Great General generation bonus no longer applies to civs other than Japan
- Chateaus earned by the Americans (through the film studio) or through friendship with Catherine now properly culture bomb

- Known issues:
- Australia's leader does not yet have a Friendship bonus

Going forward, all updates will be available through Steam rather than through the Civ Fanatics forums. In addition, I have created discussion forums there to discuss details of the mod.
Quo's Combined Tweaks v3.01
This update fixes a couple of bugs (thanks for reporting them) and makes a few balance changes.

Changes to Existing Friendship Bonuses
  • America's friendship bonus has changed from "Units have +1 Vision" to "20% discount on tile purchases with gold." Big thank you to the players who reported the bug in the older version that was giving units +1 vision per turn--I couldn't fix it, so just changed the ability.
  • England's friendship bonus now provides +25% production toward Harbors (changed from +10 Gold in the capital)
  • Germany's friendship bonus now provides +25% production toward Industrial Zones (changed from +1 hammer per city)
  • Japan's bonus to building Encampments has changed to 25% (down from 50%)

DLC Friendship Bonuses
I have derived a way to add Friendship bonuses to DLC civs in a dynamic way that should not interfere regardless of whether you have DLC installed or not. The mod should still work even if you don't have the DLC installed--HOWEVER, if you discover problems with this please let me know.
  • If Poland is installed, Poland provides the friendship bonus "Your Encampments perform a Culture Bomb when built."
  • If Aztecs are installed, Aztecs provide the friendship bonus "All units receive +4 Combat Strength"

Changes to Pantheon Beliefs
  • God of the Sea - Found a bug in the original implementation that provided +30% bonus production toward Harbors per city. Changed to +2% production toward Harbors per city following pantheon.
  • God of Festivals - Found a bug in the original implementation that provided +30% bonus production toward Entertainment Districts per city. Changed to +3% production toward Entertainment Districts per city following pantheon.
  • Oral Tradition - Reduced the culture bonus from Plantations from +1 (from +2). Your cities grab 4 extra tiles when founded (similar to Russia's native bonus, but 1/2 strength. If you are playing as Russia, the bonus stacks with your normal tile grabbing and you grab 12 tiles upon founding a city).
Quo's Combined Tweaks Version 3.0 - Friends and Neighbors

I'm really excited about this update. :)

This release brings an entirely new feature to the mod--Friendship Gifts. Now, when you officially declare Friendship with any civ, you receive a benefit from that civ. The gift you receive is different depending on which civ you've friended.

This list of gifts may be changed in future updates if balance or technical problems are found.

Additional notes:
  • For now both the player and AI players receive the gift in a mutual exchange. Unfortunately, its hard to show on the screen what you are giving to the AI when you declare friends. I am considering changing this so the gift is one AI (AIs give to humans, humans give nothing back).
  • I have tested this feature to the extent possible. It is possible there may still be bugs with it. Please point out anything you experience that appears to be broken.
  • Reminder that in Hardcore mode, Friendship lasts 50 turns instead of 30 (following the example of the Vox Populi mod).
  • Future updates to this mod may be slow coming for a while while we wait to make sure these new changes don't introduce any major issues. This is one of the biggest updates this mod has received so far, with lots of unexplored territory in terms of gameplay, so I will be waiting to make sure it's stable before making major changes. I will of course issue new updates to fix problems if they are found.
  • DLC leaders are not included (for now). This is dodgy territory. I am not sure sure if/how I will make changes to these leaders in the future.

Current List of Friendship Gifts:

• Germany: +1 Production in every city
  • France: Builders can construct Chateaus (known issue: these Chateaus don't culture bomb yet, plan to implement in future update)
  • Egypt: +2 Trade Routes
  • India: Builders can construct Stepwells
  • Sumeria: Builders can construct Ziggurats
  • Greece: +2 influence points per turn toward diplo tokens
  • Norway: Boats can heal outside of borders
  • Japan: +50% production toward Encampments
  • Kongo: +1 Food in every city
  • Brazil: Restore 10% of the cost of a Great Person after one is acquired
  • Russia: Newly settled cities grab additional tiles
  • Spain: Builders can construct Missions
  • China: Builders receive +1 charge
  • Arabia: +8 Science in the capital
  • Scythia: Units earn 25 HP back after a kill
  • Rome: Free roads when you settle a city within range
  • America: Land combat units have +1 Vision
  • England: +10 Gold in the capital
You can view what gifts a civ has to give by looking at their Historical Agenda on the conversation page.

20170128193108_1.jpg

Enjoy and thanks again for your support. :)
This update fixes the issues with the pop-up messages that were broken in v2.8.2 and makes some additional gameplay changes.

I believe all issues with the pop-ups have been identified and corrected. If you encounter strange mechanics, please let me know.

Currently, you will only get the pop-up message in Basic mode. Assuming nothing is broken, Hardcore players will get their own pop-ups as well in a future update that explains the changed rules there.

Other changes:

Updates to Arabia
  • Removed Arabia's bonuses to building Shrines and Temples from previous releases of this mod
  • Saladin can no longer build Commercial Zones
  • He also no longer receives trade routes from Harbors
  • However, he now receives Trade Routes from Holy Sites and Campuses

Updates to France
  • Moved Catherine's spy back some, from Writing to Astrology
  • Catherine now receives +100% production toward Spies

Updates to Egypt
  • The cost of Chariot Archers has been reduced
Updates to Norway
  • The Stave Church now provides +2 faith +1 cult +1 hammer. Changed because with the other changes to this building, Norway was cranking in boat loads of free faith and beating out civs like India.

Other Changes
  • Except for the Japanese Electronic's Factory, unique buildings are no longer 50% cheaper. Other changes to these civs made it just a bit too overpowered.

Please report any issues you encounter and thanks again for playing.
This update removes the intro tutorial pop-ups introduced in v2.8.1 that caused many unintended gameplay issues. The tutorial pop-ups may be re-introduced in a later update.
This optional update is tiny on features but big on code in the backend. It adds nothing except a couple of pop-up screens when you first start the game with general info about the mod. It's getting its own separate release since it involves lua code and took as much time to create as some releases with dozens of features. :)

Anyway, hopefully no major bugs will emerge. If no major problems are found, I'll start using these pop-ups to explain new features as they emerge.

20170122134326_1.jpg 20170122134332_1.jpg
This update features some balance changes to Barbarians and new features for a few civs, as well as some general balance tweaks. It also features some behind the scenes changes to make the mod more compatible with mods that add units, such as the Moar Units series of mods.

Changes to Barbarians
  • Barbarian Scouts have been reduced to 2 move, making catching them much less of a pain

Changes to Norway

• The Viking Longship no longer has tech prereqs
  • Norway now receives a free melee ship when they settle or conquer a city on the coast. The ship you receive will be whatever the best class of melee ship you have researched so far.

Changes to Japan
  • Hojo now receives +1 Great General point per turn for every Holy Site, Theater District or Encampment he constructs.

Changes to Germany
  • Germany now receives +1 production for every district in a city, starting at the 4th district
  • The way this displays on screen may be a bit confusing. Basically there is no way to achieve this effect directly. So, on screen what you will see is after the 3rd district Germany will have +3 Production from Districts and -3 from Modifiers. After the 4th district you will have +4 -3 (for a total of +1). And so on.

Changes to Thermal Spots
  • Thermal spots (Oases that can appear in cold areas) no longer generate in Tundra. They now appear only in Snow.

Removed Unit: Siege Tower
  • After reading lots of complaints from players about easy Siege Towers made sieges, I have removed them from the game. This leaves the tech they originally appeared in somewhat bald. I may fix this in the future.

Code Edits for Added Compatibility
  • Changed the way Siege units receive their bonuses, so that Siege units added by mods now receive these changes
  • Changed the way the bonus to Swordsmen works in order to accommodate units from mods. Any unit that replaces the Swordsman now gets +5 combat bonus, unless adding +5 would give the unit more than 50 combat strength.
This update contains no changes to gameplay, but makes changes to the file structure to ensure this mod is compatible when combined with the MOAR Units mod, and other mods that add resources.

Issue Resolved by this Patch: Civ 6 uses a different load order for mods at the Creation screen than when you Load a save. This creates instability in games when multiple mods are used.

To combat this, Quo's Combined Tweaks now specifically dictates a LoadOrder for its elements. The LoadOrder value is "10100."
  • Any mods that do not specify a LoadOrder will load before this
  • If a mod needs to load after Quo's Combined Tweaks, it should be given a LoadOrder higher than 10100.

Thank you to PlotinusRex for providing explanations for a fix, and Horem for pointing me to it.
This is a mini update for balance that also includes one new feature for the American civ.

Changes to America
  • After building at least one Film Studio, your Builders are able to build any unique improvement available to other civs
  • This includes Colossal Heads, but not the unique improvements from DLC (at least, not at this time). This is to prevent crashes for people who do not have the DLC.
  • Technically, you still need whatever prereq tech or civic unlocks the improvement to build it. I doubt however you will encounter this often, since the Film Studio comes so late.

quo_america_fake_improvements.jpg

Balance Changes: Basic and Hardcore
  • Lowered the extra food in the capital from the Fertility Rites policy from 4 to 3.
Balance Changes: Hardcore
  • In Hardcore, the revised Bastions policy (which allows your cities to attack even if they lack Encampments) is now delayed until much later in the game, near the end of the civic tree
  • Change made because AI just isn't smart enough to deal with this ability, and IMO it made Hardcore too easy.
  • I made this a Hardcore only change because most feedback from Basic players has been to leave the risk factor relatively lower.
This release brings changes to several of the Pantheon beliefs, along with some other assorted additions, including a new ability for India.

Updates to India
  • India now starts with enough Faith to turn a Pantheon on Turn 1
  • I can't take full credit for this idea. It is shamelessly copied from the Civ 5 Vox Populi mod. However, I was a fan of it there, so it is revived here.

Pantheon Changes
I have made changes to a number of Pantheons. I tried to stay away from just adding +1 or +2 here and there and to make things interesting.

20170116080718_1.jpg

20170116080725_1.jpg

• River Goddess - Provides +1 Amenity toCity Centers on Rivers (changed from Holy Sites)
  • Monument to the Gods - Increased bonus production for wonders to 40% (up from 15%)
  • God of the Sea - In addition to the +1 hammer per sea resource, also provides +30% hammers toward Harbors and Royal Navy Docks
  • God of the Open Sky - In addition to the +1 Culture per pasture, also allows Recon units to disregard closed borders
  • Goddess of the Hunt - In addition to +1 food from camps, also provides +15% production toward Ranged units of any era
  • Stone Circles - In addition to +2 Faith from Quarries, also provides +200% production toward Stonehenge
  • Religious Idols - In addition to +1 Faith to mines over luxuries, also instantly provides 300 gold when you select this pantheon
  • God of Craftsmen - Now provides +2 hammers per mine on a strategic resource (up from +1). Also reveals Iron and Niter on the map.
  • Goddess of Festivals - Now provides +1 Food from any Plantation (not just the original list) and +30% production toward Entertainment Complexes
  • Oral Tradition - Now provides +2 culture from plantations (up from +1, and now applies to all plantations, not just ones on the original list)
  • Fertility Rites - In addition to +10% overall growth, also provides +4 Food in the capital
  • Religious Settlements - In addition to increasing border pop rate by +15%, also increases capacity for trade routes by +1

World Wonder Text Update

• World Wonders now list their era behind their names (e.g. Stonehenge (Ancient)). This is intended to make it somewhat easier to tell which policy cards affect which wonders.

Tweaks to Balance
  • AIs no longer get a free Settler on difficulties above Emperor. This is to counteract somewhat the increased pressure from borders popping so quickly.
  • Raised soft cap for fighting Barbarians from lvl 1 to lvl 2
  • Lowered chances of rebels spawning from unhappy cities by about 90%--it can happen, but should be very rare. Change made to counteract incompetent AIs from launching masses of barbarians from their miserable cities.
  • Increased cost of Sewers versus previous releases. This building is still fairly cheap, just not as cheap as a Monument like it was.
Included in this update:

Updated Bastions Policy
  • The Bastions policy now gives you a city attack in every city, even if you lack walls
  • (It also gives a couple of hit points of wall defense, but very little)
  • I may not leave this policy this way. Releasing it for now so people can play with it. My testing doesn't reveal any major bugs, but please report any you find.

Changes to Brazilian Street Carnivals
  • Each street carnival in your empire now adds +3% Population Growth
  • This bonus stacks with itself, so if you have 8 carnivals, you get 3 * 8 = +24% growth in all cities

Change to Hanging Gardens
  • Hanging Gardens now also gives +1 Food to jungle tiles

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a bug with the "wonder production" policies that caused them not to function or to reverse the production bonus
  • Fixed some bugs with text strings not displaying (e.g. the Embark of Scouts at Astrology)

Bug Tracker System
  • Has no effect on gameplay, but I have implemented a system for tracking bugs a bit more closely. You'll only notice if you happen to peak through the code.
  • There is actually a bug within the bug tracker system itself that cuts off text :) But, I am releasing as is since it has no effect on gameplay and is only intended for me when I am tracking down possible bugs.
This update is relatively short on front-end features, but introduces some tweaks to Wonders and changes to balance in Hardcore.

Wonders No Longer Require Adjacenct Districts
  • One of the major features of this mod is the ability to Culture Bomb other civs with wonders, and yet most wonders suffered severe restrictions on placement that made this very difficult.
  • I was also finding the level of pre-planning for wonders to be too exhausting, both for me and for the AI to navigate
  • Going forward, all Wonders that previously had District Adjacency requirements no longer require them.
More details:
  • If the Wonder requires a Building, the building is still required. E.g. the Great Lighthouse still requires a Lighthouse to be built (which means a Harbor needs to be built somewhere). However the Great Lighthouse does not have to be adjacent to the Harbor.
  • Wonders that require an adjacent resource or feature, or particular terrain, still require it. E.g. the Colloseum still requires flat land, just does not have to be adjacent to a district.

Changes to Hardcore Balance
  • In Hardcore mode, on Prince difficulty and above, AIs now receive a bonus 2 Science and 1 Culture from every district they build (no matter what district).
This change was made to counteract the AIs inability to navigate the change in Hardcore mode that removes free science and culture from cities. I was finding too many AIs getting stuck far behind me as Hardcore games progressed.

The reason this change is to districts instead of just giving them free cult/sci is to give you a concrete action you can take to slow their progress. If someone's starting to runaway in tech/culture, you can try to pillage their districts to slow them down.

A more ideal change of course would be to teach the AI to properly use Campuses and Theaters in line with the changed rules, but it's far too difficult to do while keeping this mod from possibly conflicting with the AI+ mod (which is still a recommended pairing). That said, if you do see an AI building lots of Theaters or Campuses be aware that the +2 or +1 bonus is on top of the existing bonuses for those districts, so that might be a priority for pillaging if you are so inclined.

I will be watching this change carefully over the next few days and may increase or decrease the bonus depending on how games are faring. Please feel free to share input on the AIs competitiveness. In the end, Hardcore mode should feel like a challenge, and if goals are met may even cause you to take a step or two down in difficulty.
In this update I concentrated on something that had been bothering me for a long time, the general readability of the policies, technologies, and civics screens.

This update has two goals:
  • Make the technologies, civics, and policy screens generally more readable at a glance
  • Retain compatibility with mods like CQUI

To achieve the second goal, I avoided making any direct edits to the Lua code that displays these elements, and instead directly updated database strings. The only bit of weirdness you may occasionally see is that occasionally there will be a mention of the Tech (like in the Civilopedia) and you'll see a list of icons behind it. But otherwise, nothing major.

An interesting side effect of the changes to Policies is now they are grouped in the Civilopedia more or less by function instead of name. I think this may actually may the Pedia more useful than it generally was.

Keep in mind a limitation of adding the emojis is the general small number of icons available. In some cases I had to get creative to get an idea across. Also, when a policy is simply an improvement of a previous policy, I tended to use the same iconography.

Here are some screenshots showing how the display works in various contexts:

20170108041816_1.jpg
20170108041857_1.jpg
20170108041906_1.jpg
20170108043458_1.jpg

Note that these emojis do not show in the "Civilizations Only Ruleset." They are used only in the Basic and Hardcore rulesets. To be honest I'm not even sure if I have any "Civilizations Only" players. But if so and there is strong desire to see this feature in that ruleset, I can consider implementing it.

Please let me know of any issues that arise, and enjoy.

UPDATE:

I had totally forgotten I did add one additional code feature to the game. In addition to Culture Bombing nearby tiles (which was added a few releases ago), all World Wonders now also provide 1 free Envoy you can spend on City States when they are completed. Impress the world!
I normally try to wait at least a day or two between updates, but during my recent edits I uncovered two bugs in v2.4 that required fixing. This update corrects those issues and adds a few other small additions I had been working on.

Bug Fix: Border Expansion Rate
  • I made a small update to this code behind the scenes in the last release that had the unintended effect of lowering border expansion rates below where they had been in the previous releases. That should be fixed in this release.
  • A bug remains in the 'preview' feature showing how many turns to acquired a new tile. This is a Firaxis bug. The game's UI does not evaluate bonuses to border expansion rate at all. This bug affects all sources of border expansion, its just much more apparent with the huge increase this mod provides.

Bug Fix: Timers in Hardcore Mode

• Fixed a bug with timers in hardcore not always working correctly

Policy Labeling

• Many of the various multi-step policies that are basically just better copies of each other have been renamed, with icons to hopefully help a bit with quickly telling them apart on the page.
  • The original name of the Policy appears in parenthesis (e.g. Foot Soldiers 1 (Agoge).)
  • I am limited in what icons I can use, so hopefully nobody minds Whales to represent naval units. :D Maybe in a far off update once we can edit icons I can implement something nicer. But for now, it should help some with readability.

Update to Diplomatic League Policy

• This policy now provides +50% food on foreign continents, up from the 15%.

Changes to Hardcore
  • Monuments now provide +1 Culture (down from +2). This has been balanced against border pop rate to ensure a fairly steady rate of border pops even with just 1 culture, but slowing down progress through the Civics tree unless you build Theater Districts.
This update expands the 'Tantrum' side of the code. Most of these changes are largely behind the scenes. There are also some additions to the Hardcore rules.

The number of lines of new code is low, but there is a lot of testing and balancing with these changes. I think I have them close to right, but I welcome your feedback on how these changes impact the game.

Changes to All Versions (Except the 'Leaders Only' Ruleset)

Turn Time Revision for AI Agenda Reactions

• Increased timer that allows the AI to evaluate its relationship with another player from 10 turns after meeting the player to 30 turns after meeting the player for the following AIs:
    • Last Viking King (Harald)
    • Optimus Princeps (Trajan)
    • Queen of the Nile (Cleopatra)
    • Bushido (Hojo)
    • Black Queen (Catherine)
  • Any remaining agendas that are on a timer that were lower than 30 turns now trigger a minimum of 15 turns after meeting the other player (up from 10).

Changed War Monger Scaling
  • The warmonger penalty for declaring war has vastly decreased. The penalty for declaring war in the end game is now about equal to the penalty in Vanilla for declaring war in the Classical era of the main game.
  • I had left alone for a long time because other mods handled it, but with this mod now encompassing rulesets, it seemed like time to implement.

Changes to Hardcore Only
  • Following the example of the Civ 5 Vox Populi mod, the following diplomacy actions have increased to 50 turn durations (up from 30)
    • Levy City State Military
    • Declare Friendship
    • Defensive Pacts
    • Denouncements
    • Alliances
The Open Borders agreement and trade agreements both remain at 30 turns, for now.
This update brings the first major changes to policies in a while. I am working from left to right along the tree. Assuming nothing in this version explodes, the next few updates should work their way all the way across.

There is also a brand new building in this patch, with a few visual issues with its icon, but otherwise working.

New Building: Ambassador's Suite
The Ambassador's Suite can be built in Entertainment Districts in the hopes of attracting the attention of the world's city states.
  • Requires: Entertainment District
  • Bonuses: +1 Envoy when completed. +1 Amenity to city built in.
  • Prereq Building: Arena
  • Mutually exclusive with: Zoos
  • Prereq for: Stadium
Essentially the Ambassador's Suite is a way to engage more in the diplomatic game. Since the Zoo has a radial effect on nearby cities, it doesn't make sense to build one everywhere. So, for your mass entertainment cities you can build a Zoo, and for cities already benefiting from a Zoo, you can build the Ambassador's Suite and still get +1 additional Amenity plus the Envoy.

Known bugs: The icon for the Ambassador Suite still shows Stonehenge for now.

Changes to Policies
  • All 3 of the "wonder building" bonus policies now give 30% increase in production toward wonders (up from 15%).
    • They have also been renamed Wonders 1, Wonders 2, Wonders 3, with the original policy name in parenthesis (e.g. Wonders 1 (Corvee)') to help make it much more clear these 3 policies are just copies of each other affecting different wonders.
  • Insulae and Medina Quarter now longer require a certain number of Districts to work. They just flat out give +1 Housing or +2 Housing to all cities.
    • These policies have been renamed Housing 1 and Housing 2 with the original name in parenthesis.
    • These policies are still really weak and there is a chance after watching how they work in this release I may add a food bonus to them as well. No promises yet.
  • New Deal no longer requires a certain number of districts in a city for it to work.
  • Diplomatic League (earn 2 envoys for every 1 envoy in city states you have 0 envoys with) has moved earlier in the civics tree, to Foreign Trade.

Changes to Spain
  • Spain now receives +5 gold as an adjacency bonus for Commercial Zones next to Natural Wonders
  • Bonus is inspired by Civ 5's version of Spain
  • For some background, I tried very hard to make this a lump sum payout of gold when you complete the district instead of an adjacency bonus, but the hooks just aren't there in the current engine to make it work (it could work if Spain had a unique district, but its much harder since they do not). In the long off future, I may give Spain a unique Commercial district to make this more exciting, but for now it is coded as an adjacency bonus
This update brings a few new civ abilities and some fine tweaking to some numbers, particularly in the Hardcore Ruleset.

Changes to England
  • Victoria now receives a free melee unit when she settles any city on the coast, even if it is on her starting continent
  • The Royal Navy Dockyard is no longer a replacement for the Harbor, but rather an additional district that you can place on the water. The Dockyard no longer provides a trade route, but it does provide adjacency bonuses equal to a Harbor. It also provides +3 Housing. It does not count against city population limits for the purpose of Districts, although you can only build 1 per city.

Changes to Russia

• I am rolling back the previous version of Russia released in the last patch after testing revealed there were conditions where it steamrolled the game far too easily, even with the negatives attached to it
  • Russia now receives an extra trade route for Industrial Zones placed on Tundra (not just any IZ, like in the last patch)
  • Russia no longer receives adjacency bonuses from districts next to an IZ. Instead, it receives +1 hammer per adjacent Tundra Hill.
  • Russia now receives -10% to Eurekas, down from 25% from the previous patch.
This civ is likely to get more updates. It has been one of the most affected by the changes made in this mod, with other civs encroaching on some of its abilities.

Changes to Greece
  • Pericles now receives +3 influence points toward envoys with city states when he is not at war with any major civ
  • Gorgo receives the reverse, +3 influence points toward envoys with city states when she is at war with a major civ

Updates to Ocean Adjacencies
As this mod has progressed, new abilities have made some of the old bonuses redundant or overpowered. Because of this, there are new changes to sea adjacencies.
  • The adjacency bonus for Harbors next to sea resources has been reduced from 2 to 1 (identical to the unmodded game)
  • The adjacency bonus for city centers next to a coastal tile that is earned at Sailing and Cartography has been reduced from 1 gold per adjacent tile to 1 gold per 2 adjacent tiles.
  • Harbors now receive a +2 adjacency bonus for being next to a city center.
  • If you are England, Royal Navy Dockyards receive adjacency bonuses from adjacent Harbors and City Centers (making England kind the undisputed king of Harbor cities)

Changes to Walls
Walls now require either a Barracks or a Stable to build. They are now once again technically built in the City Center. This fixes some possible issues with AI using them incorrectly.

Long story short though--if you want a walled city, you need Encampments. You just now also need a Barracks or Stable there before you can start Walls.

Tweaks to Hardcore Mode
Hardcore mode has been adjusted as follows:
  • Decreased the bonus Science all Science buildings to 1 (down from +2)
  • Removed bonus Culture (down from +1)
  • Cities now heal 5 HP per turn (down from 20)
  • Units within enemy borders now heal 10 HP per turn (up from 5)
This is to address a particular habit of the AI to lose to cities because the city outheals its units.
This new release brings some new features and a handful of bug fixes.

Feature list:

Culture Bombing Wonders
  • All World Wonders now perform a culture bomb once they are completed.
  • If you are Poland, this will also pass your religion to the culture bombed civ.
  • If you see someone building a wonder near your borders, act fast! You've been warned.

Updated Siege Mechanics
  • Siege units can now move and fire on the same turn
  • To compensate, siege units have had their base move points reduced from 3 to 2
  • All siege units still have a range of 3
The end result is Siege units still move a bit slower than other units, but the AI is now much better at using them. Watch your back.

Lowered Scout Vision Back to 2
Scouts were becoming a little too good, with the new policy that lets them ignore rivers and ZOC, and ability to embark at Astrology. To compensate, their Vision has been restored to 2 (down from 3).

Changes to Norway
  • Norwegian boats now completely disregard closed borders. The Vikings sail where they want to.

Changes to Russia
  • Russia has been largely redesigned
  • Russia now only gets a 25% boost from Eurekas, instead of the normal 50% other civs get
  • However, Russia gets a free trade route with every Industrial Zone
  • In addition, Industrial Zone provide +2 hammers per adjacent district

Changes to Egypt

• There was an issue with the cheaper Builders Egypt got in previous releases of this mod. The discount on Builders has been removed.
  • Egypt now starts the game with 2 more trade route slots than other civs. You still need to unlock Traders on the civics tree, but you can build 3 right away once you do.

Holy Sites Provide +1 Extra Great Prophet Point Per Turn

• I was observing many games where it took a very long time for the religions to appear. To compensate for this somewhat, Holy Sites now produce +2 rather than +1 GPP per turn.

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Catherine from unlocking her first spy at Writing
  • Fixed a bug that caused code from the "base" ruleset to leak into the "updated civs only" ruleset
  • Fixed a text bug that made the Base ruleset not update in the ruleset drop-down box, making it look like the mod wasn't running even when it was.
I'm excited to be able to share a fairly major update to the mod that will hopefully help with some of the split opinions about design decisions. There are enough changes that I'm upping a version number and calling this "v2.0." Here's the goods:

New Rulesets
This mod now supports three different sets of game rules:

• Standard - This is basically the mod the way you've been playing it up to this point.
  • Civ Changes Only - Under this ruleset, the only edits made to the game are the civilization buffs, like Spain's cheaper Holy Districts, etc.
  • Hardcore - This is an experimental mode that is described below in more detail.
To select a Ruleset, go to the Advanced Options page before starting a game. The Ruleset is the drop-down box at the top of the screen. If you do not specifically choose a ruleset and this mod is enabled, the default is Standard.

20170101074456_1.jpg

Other New Stuff

Changes to Policies
I am beginning to review policies that are particularly poor and making updates to them. In this update, two policies are updated in this release:

• Survey. In addition to giving Scouts x2 XP, this policy now also allows them to ignore Zone of Control and to cross rivers without losing move points.
  • Urban Planning. In addition to +1 hammer for every city, this policy now provides +100% Production toward Granaries.

Unique Building Costs Cut in Half
It seemed very unfair to me that unique districts costs 50% less than standard districts but unique buildings cost the same as other buildings. The cost of all unique buildings is now half. This change affects:
  • Stave Church
  • Madrassa
  • Electronics Factory
  • Film Studio

Moved "First to Find City State Does Not Receive Free Envoys" to Hardcore Mode
Described in detail below.

Hardcore Mode
Hardcore is a new mode that is still being fleshed out. The key changes it makes are:
  • Being the first to find a city state with your units no longer provides a free envoy
  • You now get zero free science and culture from population (down from 0.7 science and 0.3 culture in a Standard game)
  • Most science buildings are buffed to provide somewhat more science than in Vanilla
Long story short, unlike Vanilla you will likely not survive Hardcore without building Campuses and Theater districts.

This mode is still being balanced. You can expect future updates to tweak how this mode operates as I continue to test it. Please feel free to provide your feedback.

Egypt Builds Builders Faster
This was actually coded a long time ago but I thought it was broken. Turned out I just didn't understand how this modifier works. Egypt now receives +30% production toward Builders.

Clarification on Arabia's Shrine and Temples Bonus
I had written a post saying I wasn't sure Arabia's new bonus from the last update was working. Turns out it is, and I just didn't know how to read the screen properly.
A few additional tweaks have been added in this latest update.

No Longer Receive Free Envoy when First to Meet a City State
  • I had long been looking to disable this game feature and finally figured out (maybe I'm slow, I figure other modders already have done it :) ). Regardless, you will no longer receive free envoys just for stumbling over city states, because this gave huge advantages to players who encountered Science or Culture city states early.

Improved Arabia
  • Arabia's Last Prophet ability suffers in this mod because religion is often delayed. To make up for it somewhat, they have received the following buffs.
    • Temples and Shrines now cost 50% less than normal. This synergizes with Saladin's cheap faith building. Balanced by the fact that Arabia does not get a discount on Holy Districts required for these buildings.
    • The bonus for spreading your religion to other civs is now +2 per city (up from +1).

Changes to Sumeria
  • Sumeria received a buffed ability and a nerf to War Carts
    • Sumeria now receives +10 to all combat with Barbarians
    • Sumerian War Carts now require the Foreign Trade civic
Thus, Sumeria still does not require The Wheel to build War Carts, but you can't just spam them right away.

Improved Roman Legion
As one poster pointed out, when I buffed Swordsmen I didn't provide a buff to the Roman Legion. To fix this, the Legion has been improved as follows:
  • The Legion now has base 43 combat strength (up from 40)
  • The Legion now has the Anti-Melee tag, giving it +10 to combat with other Infantry units
This makes the Legion one of the strongest units in the game and a nearby Rome should be treated with special care, just like in previous Civ games.

Tweaks to Barbarian Spawns
  • The min spawn distance for Barbarian camps has been increased to 6 tiles (up from 4)
  • The maximum number of Barbarian camps per player has decreased to 2 (down from 3)

Changes Currently in Testing -- Eliminating Free Sci/Culture from Population
There are additional changes that are not ready for an official release because I am testing impact on the AI. These changes will eliminate free culture and science you get from a city's population. This is a very drastic change and I need to observe what impact it has before rolling forward with it. If you would like to test it though, uncomment the code in Quo_PopYield_Code.sql.

Partitioning of Code
I have partitioned much of the code into separate sql files. This change does not affect the gameplay experience, but if you look in the file structure you'll notice that Quo_Code has been split into a number of categories based on function. This is to make future updates easier without breaking things.
Top Bottom