Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

It's in the Civ5 application package at:

Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC

You have to right click the app icon and select Show package contents.

The application package is located at:

Steam installation:
/Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app

OR

AppStore installation:
/Applications/Civilization V Campaign Edition.app

I'll try to test it asap. It's not clear whether you have used a custom DLL. That is the only known killer on Macs, has custom DLLs do not work.

Confirmed that it seems to work OK when installed in my Steam version.

[PS} &#8230;. and in my AppStore version.

Hi, I really appreciate the copious amounts of info on this thread!

I recently downloaded Brave New World through Steam, and found a thread on this forum with an updated version of CivWillard. I used this mod with both earlier versions and had basically no problems. When I install it (sidestepping the Mavericks Text Edit quirk in the Main Menu.lua with your help) it shows up normally on the menu. But with any game I start or open so far, the interface appears with the mod frozen: the game runs, the Civ Willard buttons appear and click but have no effect, and there's a blank mod data box in the middle of the screen I can't get rid of - again clicking it has no effect.

Spoiler :

I asked about this on the mod thread; the curator (who posted the mod update) said he's only seen this when there's a conflict with other mods, but I'm only trying to run this one (for now) and emptied the Mods folder of any others. At his suggestion I emptied the cache and validated the Steam files, same result. At that point he said the only other option was to run Firetuner and post the report to see where the mod crashes, but from what I can tell Firetuner seems to be PC-only. And unsurprisingly he speculated the problem might be Mac-related.

So seem to be out of options at this point ... any suggestions?

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro, 2.25GHz dual, 4GB RAM, OS Mavericks.

Hi

I have installed CivWillard in my Steam Civ5. I see a similar pop-up to the one in your screen shot, but I can click the Close button at the bottom right to dismiss it, or I can toggle it by clicking any of the three buttons at the bottom of the screen.

I have enabled logging in my config.ini file, and the lua.log file contains:

[3578172.279] Runtime Error: xxxxx\Documents\Aspyr\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\CivWillard (v 1)\CityData.lua:64: attempt to call method 'GetRouteGoldTimes100' (a nil value)

Not being familiar with the Lua scripting language, I can't identify the cause of this error. or try to debug it.

FireTuner is PC-only, as it comes with the Windows-only SDK. I believe it may be possible to use the Firefox debugger to access the same information, but I don't know the details.

I'd be surprised if the problem is specific to the Mac version.

The "GetCityConnectionRouteGoldTimes100" method was added in BNW, so either if you don't have the expansion the crash is to be expected, or else Aspyr may have overlooked this change on the Mac version... Just noticed AlanH mentions "GetRouteGoldTimes100", are you guys using the latest mod version ?

I Googled CivWillard on this site, and downloaded from the first search result - version 1.0.

I would prefer to install it from Steam Workshop, but it doesn't seem to be there.

Yes. After your post I found V2 and it works - apart from the default minor civ view, which is too wide for my 1280x1024 screen.

hi i have the steam version of bnw and i installed keka and textwrangler, added the two hyphens and then saved, i subscribed to mods but now where do i find them, i also set keka to always extract what is left for me to do please help :D

Pleased to see you worked it out ... And all while I was asleep :)

edit: holy crap im an idiot nevermind

Mr. AlanH

I'm so sorry to bother you about something you have been bugged about so many times but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I'm over here tearing my hair out!

I have the app store version, by the way.

1. Organise your privileges

Easy. I'm already a root user and I have textwrangler.

2. Find your Civ5 application

Also easy.

3. Modify your Civ5 software

Almost easy. Here's where the problems begin.

I can do the first part just fine. The mods button shows up when I edit line 41 in my file.

I also have the Gods and Kings expansion installed (load screen verifies this).

I've resorted to trying to do the spoiler instructions (even though your update says it's not necessary) and I do not have a second .lua in the location specified. I only have MainMenu.xml

I also followed Iamgoofball's instructions and that didn't do anything either.

4. Find and Download a Mod

...pretty easy. lol.

5. Expand/Extract the Mod

I assume this means to make it a folder with "art" "LUA" "SQL" "XML" and other various subfolders depending on the mod.

6. Install the Mod

Pretty sure this is easy, but I can't be sure since it isn't working for me. I just drag the main folder (the one containing the sub folders mentioned above) into the mods folder, right?

7. Activate the mod

Impossible at this point in time.

Thank so so much for any and all help!

Hi, welcome :wavey:

First, I'm impressed that you can enable the MODS button. I can only assume that you haven't updated to the latest version of Civ5 from the AppStore, because that seems to kill the capability. If you want to play mods more than you want the latest version, then don't update.

Step 3. You say "Here's where the problems begin", but you don't explain what the problems are.

Step 5 - how are you "making it a folder"? It sounds as if you are doing OK, but your description is vague.

Step 7. You simply say it's impossible to activate the mod with no description of the problem. Does this mean the mod is not showing up in the MODS screen? Or the unspecified problems in step 3 are preventing you from getting to the MODS screen?

Did you discover anything missing in the instructions, or anything that will help future players?

Top Bottom