Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Hi. How did you manage to get a copy of the App Store version without downloading it from the App Store? When you install an app from the App Store normally, it is likely that it registers itself in your operating system. If you have just copied it from someone else's hard drive then that will not happen, and bad things are likely to happen.

Those symptoms are typical of a corrupted MainMenu.lua file. The screenshot indicates that you have edited that line in the file correctly, but I don't understand why you had to rename it. It will not work at all with the wrong name, as the software is expecting to find the correct file by its name!

I am experiencing this same issue. I am unable to click on any of the menu. in addition to what he said, there id also the text at the bottom of the screen that says "InvalidVersionNumber"

did I looked through the old lua file and can't find anything differences... I only pasted in the two dashes.

Hi Borbby, welcome. :wavey: Which version of Civ5 are you running - Steam or Mac AppStore Campaign Edition?

Looking at my Steam installation, it seems the MainMenu.lua file has changed and should no longer need any edits to allow the Mods button to display.

My Campaign Edition is now way out of date, so it's possible that has changed as well.

Last edited:
Hi Alan,

I am looking for a folder ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS with no luck. There is no such container, but i have played the game.

Could it be under different name because it was not purchased from the app store or steam? or is it compatible at all.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Alan,

I am looking for a folder ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS with no luck. There is no such container, but i have played the game.

Could it be under different name because it was not purchased from the app store or steam? or is it compatible at all.

Thanks,

Ben
It was a pirated version of the ayspr campaign edition. I'm now wondering if there is a save location for that data that is not stored in the same location.

Moderator Action: Sorry, but this site has a strict anti-piracy policy, so you will get no help here. -- Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

Been a while and cracked open Civ V lately (Mac App Store version with all expansions) (purchased btw :) ) but can only play the Vanilla version, still working out a wee bit of a Mods problem.

Have the aforementioned directory (~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS/) and been trying to load up with my mods in that folder, but Civ V crashes and quits on startup. It'll play the intro vid but then dies, most horribly. Without mods in that folder, Civ V works just fine. 'tis confusing. Was working last time I played, but that was several OS updates ago. I don't believe Civ V has had an update since...

Anyway, hoping someone else has ideas. I'll be checking versions (and report back later) and permissions etc etc etc soon.

Just REALLY want to play that Australia Civ mod.... 8***( lol

Hi, welcome.

You have prompted me to do something I should have done a while back. ekc posted a script a few weeks ago designed to automate/simplify the whole mods installation and enabling process. So I figured we need a simple step by step description of how to use it. And here it is. It will only work with the Steam version of Civ5, and mods you can Subscribe from Steamworks.

Step 1. Download the attached Applescript, which is a modified version of ekc's original script. It downloads as a zipped file, and you should unzip it and put it in a location where you can find it again, e.g. your desktop.

Step 2. Open Steam and click on Steamworks. Choose the mods you want, and click Subscribe for each one. They will download to a hidden location on your Mac.

Step 3. Run the script you installed at Step 1 by double clicking it. This will edit your Civ5 software to enable the Mods menu option, and extract the mods you subscribed, and place them in your Civ5 Mods folder.

Step 4. Launch Civ5 from the Steam window. Click the Mods menu option and accept the "Use MODS at your own risk" warning.

Step 5. Enable the mods you want by checking their tick boxes in the list. Click Next and wait for the Game to Configure. Click Single Player at the top of the next screen, then Setup Game. Choose the settings for the mod. These will depend on the mod(s) you have enabled.

Step 6. Play the game.

You can repeat Step 2 later to download more mods. Run Step 3 each time to install the new mods.

Hi AlanH,

I did exactly as you said. Community Patch itself and the mods depending on it do not work. Community Patch gives an error ''This mod is not compatible with this version of game''. But other mods such as More Luxuries works perfectly. Do you know the solution?

I have the App store version. I did everything you said to do, but when I launch the game it says I have "Invalid Version number" and I can't click on anything. It does show the MODS menu button.
I kept the original copy of "MainMenu.Iua" so when I put that back in the game works fine.
No matter what I did, I couldn't save the original file using text edit, so i saved a duplicate in plain text fromat and added the ".lau" extension.

The Mac Steam version now directly supports MODS, so the procedure in op should not be necessary.

The App Store version is (and always was) marketed as being single-player only, and I would not be surprised to learn that they implemented some kind of checksum to prevent the procedure in op.

@WurldUvN8 it looks to me like app store version is no longer marketed as being the “Campaign Edition” – so maybe the earlier limitations with MODS is no longer an issue? But the editor available for OS X version of Civ5 is very limited, so you might not be able to get the editor you are looking for in any case.

Top Bottom