Getting Started

I downloaded the last mod pack a few days ago. Since then my last two games have hung on turns 186 and 134. When I try to reload, I get a "runtime error" message within a few seconds saying that the game asked to be terminated in an unusual way. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I play the latest dev build, too, without problems so far, but I never played a specific game for long, I was trying out opening strats (thx @ ezysquire for your commented playthrough!).

I play the latest dev build, too, without problems so far, but I never played a specific game for long, I was trying out opening strats (thx @ ezysquire for your commented playthrough!).

I found a way out of the problem by saving to Steam the turn before, rather than trying to start up with an auto-save.

BTW, is there a "guide" of sorts how to merge mods? I feel dependent on Thal or Jooyo to do this, and while their compilations are great, nothing can match a selfmade modpack.

For instance, Thal's dev modpack lacks "rename units anytime" and some other UI mods from CCMAT I've got used to. Has anyone info how to integrate such mods?

BTW, is there a "guide" of sorts how to merge mods? I feel dependent on Thal or Jooyo to do this, and while their compilations are great, nothing can match a selfmade modpack.

For instance, Thal's dev modpack lacks "rename units anytime" and some other UI mods from CCMAT I've got used to. Has anyone info how to integrate such mods?

I'm far from an expert, but I do it by running a diff on any files that appear in multiple mods and merging all of the differences.

I'm far from an expert, but I do it by running a diff on any files that appear in multiple mods and merging all of the differences.

Sorry, I don't get it :confused:

You mean you're using an application to find out which files appear more than once within your "MODS" folder and try to make one file out of them?

If so, which application can find duplicates? If I have only one file left, where do I place it (or is it unimportant? I believe so if I remember Kael's guide right...)?

Sorry, I'm really no expert, computer stuff is only a spare time activity (a fascinating one, though! :)). I'm not sure if UI mod merging is something a non-expert will ever be able to pull off, anyway.

@Tomice

Grab a copy of WinMerge and Notepad++ (both are free and useful under various circumstances when merging/editing). For duplicate checks, I like Directory Opus (enhanced file manager) which is a paid app to which you could probably find free alternatives for just that purpose. With Civ modding, you'd really be more concerned with finding files with duplicate names rather than exact matches via checksums. I like Dopus because it provides both in a consolidated panel (along with lots of other stuff), but it's expensive for a file manager. Maybe someone can suggest a better alternative there.

@Thal and everyone

Anyone else having specific issues (not crashes) with the latest dev build? I'm not seeing aqueducts available to build and Smokehouse isn't granting it's resource bonuses. There may be others. Trying to figure out if it's me or version specific. Cleaned house and started adding just components from Thal's pack, but it's still present.

edit: That would be 1.04.2 dev from the top post

Thx, heinous_hat!

I haven't seen serious bugs in the latest dev build. I did build aqueducts and smokehouses, but I'll double-check their effects the next time I play.

Only thing I can remember was a double goodie-hut promotion, but it was not reproduceable when loading an older save and taking the same two huts with the same scout.

Yes, I use notepad++. Load both files up in notepad++ and in the menu go to Plugins, compare. That will show you the differences. Merge them into one file and generally it doesn't matter where you put this combined file. Just make sure to get rid of the now unused file(s).

To find differences in directories, I just open both folders side by side and and eyeball it.

Anyone else having specific issues (not crashes) with the latest dev build? I'm not seeing aqueducts available to build and Smokehouse isn't granting it's resource bonuses. There may be others. Trying to figure out if it's me or version specific. Cleaned house and started adding just components from Thal's pack, but it's still present.

edit: That would be 1.04.2 dev from the top post

I've been using the same patch and aqueducts are available. I've built less smokehouses lately, so haven't noticed whether the effect is missing.

I haven't seen serious bugs in the latest dev build. I did build aqueducts and smokehouses, but I'll double-check their effects the next time I play.

I've been using the same patch and aqueducts are available. I've built less smokehouses lately, so haven't noticed whether the effect is missing.

Thanks guys. I've gone back to 1.04.1dev and that's all fine as far as those issues go. I had the impression that BCD Food.xml in the new arrangement wasn't working as that's where Aqueduct is defined along with the Smokehouse yield buffs. Smokehouse showed the strategy text in the tech tooltip instead of the yeild buffs (and didn't grant them in game) and Aqueduct didn't show at all (nor could I build it).

Maybe I'll torture myself more with it later :)

I've been trying to mod in new artwork for the new National Wonders and I noticed that the Buildings.xml is missing from the Balance - City Development component in 1.04.2dev. That's why the Aqueduct and the real Smokehouse (the Granary is renamed Smokehouse but with no change) do not appear. I'm guessing it was a simple oversight on Thal's part; if you DL the 1.04.1 and just replace BCD in 1.04.2 it will work properly.

EDIT: Not really true: The Building.xml was split into separate xmls. There are some bugs here with the Aqueduct and Smokehouse in the 1.04.2 build though.

To be clear for everyone else, you are saying to use v9 of BCD instead of v10.

It's labeled as v10 in 1.04.1 but on first glance I don't see any difference - so you're right, the changes in the later dev version will not be implemented. I tried copying the Buildings.xml from the older one into 1.04.2 but that didn't seem to work. But I'm a total noob when it comes to modding:p

It's labeled as v10 in 1.04.1 but on first glance I don't see any difference - so you're right, the changes in the later dev version will not be implemented. I tried copying the Buildings.xml from the older one into 1.04.2 but that didn't seem to work. But I'm a total noob when it comes to modding:p

Yes, I downloaded from 1.04, not 1.04.1 (which I didn't find). The former is the one that's used in the main download (big blue "B") and gives you BCD v9.

Yes, I downloaded from 1.04, not 1.04.1 (which I didn't find). The former is the one that's used in the main download (big blue "B") and gives you BCD v9.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - both dev versions are at the very bottom of the first post in the thread.

I've been trying to mod in new artwork for the new National Wonders and I noticed that the Buildings.xml is missing from the Balance - City Development component in 1.04.2dev. That's why the Aqueduct and the real Smokehouse (the Granary is renamed Smokehouse but with no change) do not appear. I'm guessing it was a simple oversight on Thal's part; if you DL the 1.04.1 and just replace BCD in 1.04.2 it will work properly.

Both recent BCD versions are named v10. However, it looks like Thal did some reorganizing and split up buildings.xml in the most recent. The BCD Food.xml file I was referencing lives in the buildings folder along with the other new files. The granary yield changes and the Aqueduct def are there. I would assume he broke things up for clarity.

Not sure about this, but for new wonder icons, wouldn't you create an icontextureatlas entry and then change the iconatlas tag? If so, it looks like that got moved to BCD National Wonder.xml from buildings.xml.

Top Bottom